SC mag - Great guys - but whom? - Page 2

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Interesting....tell us more?.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Do you have a URL....I can only find a link to you on Bob Parker's
website and it appears to be broken. The only other one I can find
is for some guy at the uni of Ohio. Have googled these broken links
so far:

http://electronics.alternatezone.com /
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dljones/tlinks.htm

Ahhh here we go: a working link at airborn.com.au:

http://alternatezone.com/electronics /

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Perhaps they should hire those two kids in the current issue who won
the schools contest? :->

Dave :)

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

http://www.youtube.com/watch
?

That's always been a concern of mine - the magazine has struck me as being
written by a bunch of opinionated old men seemingly oblivious to
developments racing ahead around them - a lot of the questions they can't
answer (or answer poorly) could be addressed by a bit of research on the net
and by participating or at least monitoring some of the better online
forums.

They also seem to be out of touch with the form and function of projects
that might appeal to the less geriatric reader, as a result there seems to
be so little innovation and excitement in their projects. A quick look at
sites such as makezine.com would show the kind of stuff that interests the
younger generation. Be in no doubt - there a plenty of yoof out there still
interested in electronics and frantically putting remarkable things
together. An increasing amount is micro-based, but there's still a heap of
analogue circuitry involved, if only at the edges.

There's also a terrible style gap - there's no reason why their projects
should look so lame - and dare I say it - poxy. I believe people's tastes
and expectations for design and ergonomics have progressed since the 50's.
The last kit I built of theirs - the lead acid battery zapper - has crap
control layout and is an utter bastard to put together then pull to bits
when it doesn't work. Somebody had the temerity to comment on this in a
letter to SC and rather than accept that the customer is generally, if not
always right, they defended their nasty, cramped design.

That said, it's an inescapable fact that it's largely an older generation of
enthusiasts who still purchase SC or other print magazines. Online offers so
many more exciting ideas from around the globe, and the opportunity to
communicate and interact with other like-minded people. As much time I spend
online, I still love print publications, and in one respect, can't imagine
giving up reading the SMH on the verandah of a morning, or grumbling at
something in SC, but I realise that my preferences don't necessarily apply
to a younger generation who have grown up with other realities and values.

So is SC an old person's magazine with a mortal lifespan? While I don't
think the readers, or the authors would like to think themselves as such, at
least not mentally, I suspect it's days are numbered. All we can do is enjoy
it (and complain about it) while it's still in print.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Yeah there doesn't seem to be much on latest electronics developments.

It's hard to make something look good using only zippy boxes, surely it
doesn't cost that much to update some of the knobs, cases, lamps and
switches available today to bring them out of the 1970's. A product I'm
working on now was described as looking like a "Butter box" thanks to
the zippy's used to prototype it.

I really hope not, still if we don't like it we can always start our own
magazine.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

    I look at the infantile cartoons on many/most SC projects, shake my
head and wonder who'd take something like that seriously. I certainly
wouldn't.
    My 2c worth.

Bob

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Hi Bob,

Well, I guess you're right with the head shaking bit.
This is another guess also. I think the SC people have a very nice
person working for them whom they delegate to do the 'graphical' part
of projects. Guessing again I can imagine a person of the feminine
gender who does many other things in the office like finance, coffee,
chasing off d...heads, phone calls etc.
To cut to the chase, yep, I agree the graphics do in fact look like
crap, but if were a good friend and work partner, would you say so? I
think not... Still just guessing though....

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

G'day Phil,
    I think you might be close to the truth. My problem might be that in
a former life in public telecommunications, I was surrounded by
Tektronix, HP, Fluke, AWA, Marconi and other professional test gear and
electronic stuff. It was a serious business.
    None of it had sketches of cute little batteries or transistors
etc... it was just mostly battleship grey professional gear which did
the job required.
    So when I see those little characters, I think "toy" and disregard
the whole thing.
    I think I'm getting cynical in my 'old age'. :)

Cheers
Bob

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 01:04:54 +1100, Bob Parker

I just loved the style and build quality of the Siemens & Halske
"Peggelmesser" and "Peggelsender" :-)

No Bob, just a solid respect for good engineering and design
functionality without any of the "frippery" some of the younger age
group seem to delight in to adorn their electronics items.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

     Yeah, built like a German tank, with all those E88CCs (if I
remember correctly) to keep you warm in winter.
     We had the Wandel & Goltermann solid state ones as well. Have you
ever seen how many screws there are in their internal shielded assemblies?

     Exactly. Could you imagine the RTV&H (or was it EA by then?)
Deltahet receiver or B&W TV receiver etc with cute little pictures on
their front panels? Things sure have changed since then.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 14:39:32 +1100, Bob Parker

The W&G stuff was equally as well built, and yes, I did have to pull
one apart once to replace a board. I took a day to get it all apart
and put back together.

The B&W TV was definitely an RTV&H project but I'm not sure about the
Deltahet which came later I think.

I followed those articles with some interest in the late 50's and
early 60's IIRC, even though I didn't have the wherewithall to attempt
to build them. A trainee tech's wage wasn't that good.

I did build one of the dual wave receivers from RTV&H using a QPlus
dual wave bracket which contained a 3 gang tuning capacitor and all
the necessary coils etc ready built. Brilliant stuff then - still got
the box it came in.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

    It took me a similar amount of time. :-) For a while I was doing
instrument maintenance.

    Them was the days, when Australia had an electronics manufacturing
industry with a big skills base and there were lots of enthused hobbyists...

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Well gee Bob, that's a real bummer.  I'll try and send you some cute little
stickers for your gear - anything to cheer you up

David - just having fun

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

I quite like the cartoons of the TV repairman though, the best ones
being the weird expectations of customers.

--
Regards

Kevin Martin

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

     Me too! Brendan Ackhurst is a genius at doing that. :-)

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

hi,  yeah  who gives a toss about     technicians  ( no disrespect.)
finding dodgey stuff,  new developments in digital cameras that cost  $5000+
,  green house emissions ( yeah...sure..)

what u want is a purely hobbyist magazine with no frills .. purely  project
design and modification.

mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch
?

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

And how long would that last before they couldn't pay the rent?

I have often wondered what their readership numbers are, and what the
results of the last reader survey were.

Dave :)

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Actually, WRT was an expression I learned about, hmm, 16 years ago at uni -
just before the tsunami that is the Internet was unleashed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch
?

I remember that from when it went to air - cruel stuff, but in a country
like the US you can't blame them (too much) for being self-absorbed. The
whole media system tends to be ridiculously parochial, and in many respects,
the Australian commercial media - particularly the so called "current
affairs" shows leans towards a similar parochialism, probably modelled on
the success of US "news" formulas.

One can only hope.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

uni -

Funny I've been on the net for over 17 years, and I know people who were on
it before me. And of course it was the Uni's and Arpanet that led the way.
(if you actually mean the world wide web, that is more recent of course)

But yes "wrt" was around pre internet, as were a lot of other acronyms,
abbreviations, slang etc. The usage is just more common now, especially with
SMS etc.

MrT.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

lol, thank you for giving all those cartoonists in the big newspapers a
laugh.

Site Timeline