SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Hi all,

Over the last few years I've been pondering about the identities of
Silicon Chip's 'Serviceman' and the excellent cartoonist who (I think)
would be better working for a major newspaper and shovelling vast
amounts of cash into his/her bank.

I think these two people have amazing talents at both writing and
drawing, and I just know that their identities shouldn't really be
divulged, so this isn't really a question about who, more a celebration
about what they do.

Anyway, I really don't want any cats let out of bags, just wanted to
say I appreciate that part of SC.

Would anyone care to agree?

Cheers, Phil.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

"Phil"

** Yes,  they are both exceptionally good.

Their cartoonist is credited at the top of the " Regular Contributors"  list
in each mag   -

Brendan J. Akhurst.

Google that  name  -   gets lotsa hits.

BTW:

There are several very good reasons why the Serviceman must remain
anonymous.

.......   Phil

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

    Haven't you ever looked at Silicon Chip's Who's Who page at
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/menu_1706/cms/whoswho.html ?
    There's no secret about who those people are. :)

Bob

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

athttp://www.siliconchip.com.au/menu_1706/cms/whoswho.html ?

I see they haven't removed Julian yet!

Dave :)

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Ponder no more!

 http://www.siliconchip.com.au/menu_1706/cms/whoswho.html

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Hey, thanks heaps guys.

Well, the mystery is revealed in Mike & Brendan. Perhaps two of the
coolest people you would ever want to meet, and I hope to do that one
day.

Anyway, I really appreciate these guy's talents, and look forward to
seeing more in the future. Maybe a 'Best of Serviceman' mag even!

Thanks again Peter, Bob & Phil.

Cheers, Phil.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

    You're entirely welcome! This newsgroup's supposed to be about
sharing knowledge ....

Bob

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:42:41 +1100, Bob Parker

Mike Sheriff B.Sc D.M.S Dip.M A.M.I.E.E. M.R.T.V.S. A.M.B.I.M.
G.Inst.M. M.T.E.T.I.A. M.T.E.S.A. VK2YFK, VN2P, NAB505, G8DGE
Technical Writer

I see that and i immediatly assume the guy is a wanker.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

"The Real Andy"

**  The associate memberships of some truly awful organizations plus the
multiple ham license are not something to boast about in polite company.

Unless you want folk to know you are a complete nerd.

Having a UK public school background is,  however, totally unforgivable.

.......  Phil

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

It may not be an assumption

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:27:15 +1000, The Real Andy

I don't know, if it was me I'd do it to have a good laugh at myself!

:-)

- Rob.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Well, If this ain't the pits!

I try to give credit to talent and mostly all that seems to happen is
that a lot of people get out their Victa's ready for a poppy-mulching
festival!

These are not tall poppies, short poppies, or even drug-producing
varieties I think, just some people doing a good job IMHO.

Of course there may be a bit of 'tounge-in-cheek' involved in previous
replies, and I'll take it as that, but if it isn't the case and the
writer is indeed a pessimist, depressive and generally somewhat of a
tool, maybe a bit of 'tooth particles in cheek' would be in order I
think :-).

Maybe a few 'smilies' would help...

Cheers, Phil.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Hey, it's Usenet - the snarkiness comes with the protocol.

WRT the use of "emoticons", we're Australians, which means we should be able
to detect irony or sarcasm from the language, not the use of smileys - them
and things like "LOL!"  are the equivalent of the laugh track in crappy US
sitcoms.

While I have a number of issues with SC, I still subscribe and read it every
month, and am glad it's still around.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Hi Poxy,

Good words indeed! The Snarks are slapping my Tinkerbell around at
this moment <g>.

Damn, If I still aren't a net newbie after 12 years or so, I had to
look up 'WRT'...
Also I now agree with you about emoticons and those 'audio enhanced'
sitcoms.

WOS (Way Off Subject) here, but thought you might enjoy this this as
an example of 'spatial unawarness'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch
?
v=HCkYfYa8ePI

I'm glad SC mag is still around also, but hoping they have some
youngsters in the wings - hopefully not 'surf nippers' but moreso
'circuit nerds'.

Cheers, Phil.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

http://www.youtube.com/watch
?

Youngsters in the wings. Hmm. When I started writing for Silicon Chip
in 1993, aged 30, I was their youngest contributor. When I stopped
writing for them late last year, I was still their youngest regular
contributor.

Julian Edgar

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Like amateur radio, I think hobby electronics is dead. It used to be
cost effective to make your own stuff, nowadays it's not, that combined
with a general apathy towards encouraging new hobbyists means it'll die
out eventually. Component suppliers don't help much either, I only buy
from DSE when I can't avoid it or I forgot how bad the last trip was.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

I don't think that hobbyist electronics NEED be dead. But to encourage
it, magazines like Silicon Chip need to get people on staff who are
30-40 years younger (yes, that much!) than current staff members.

There's plenty of stuff on the web about hacking game machines, about
modified car electronics, about robotics, about the latest in audio/
visual - the latter often done from a hard-hitting consumer test
perspective. And all of those topics comprises electronics and all are
of interest to young people. In fact, when you think about, young
people are more interested in electronics and the outomes of
electronics than ever before.

But a stuffy, olde world tone (or worse still, a pretend trendy
language) is a big negative. As a contributor, I carefully wrote
nearly every article in a style that I knew Leo Simpson would find
acceptable - almost like a technical paper. He liked it but I knew
many younger readers would stop after the first few lines.

I certainly think that it's an interesting time for Silicon Chip.
According to my calculations, nearly all the permanent staff will
retire much sooner rather than much later. I think that they've all
forgotten that they started working for electronics magazines when
they were quite young, and the advantages that they therefore had in a
fresh, youthful approach.

Oh well, I told John Clarke all of this in long phone calls when I did
many Silicon Chip projects with him!

Julian Edgar

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

I don't think there's an easy answer to the problems of hobby
electronics these days, there seems to be a general lack of
enthusiasm from all directions: component suppliers to magazines
to even (dare I say it) the readers of the magazines. ETI with
Roger Harrison seemed to have this enthusiasm coming at you out
of the text of articles I read as kid and so did AEM as well.
Ye olde digital projects circa the 70's and 80's would have bogged
down magazines like EA as they shifted away from them over time
possibly as resource sucking vampires (for magazine and constructor).

I wonder how many of those analogue synths were actually made
from the ETI? articles at the time, not too many but the articles
would have been a popular read.

Magazines these days would lose a fair bit of traditional revenue
thanks to the Internet and the loss of electronics industries but
there must be some way to get revenues up to the point where
a magazine can be viable and offer some serious articles and
projects with decent scope. I suspect if a magazine started
selling PCB's of their projects then it would upset advertisers
/suppliers doing the same unless they could come to an arrangement.

FWIW I should write up some of my projects on the 'net for other
interested people, that way at least I get to retain the IP and
may be able small amounts of money. Surface mount RISC circuits
that can't be hand soldered and valve circuitry designed using
SPICE are frowned upon in some publications if tolerated: kind
of like the disdain for printed circuit boards when real men used
tagstrip in the 1960's. Like in science, electronics gets new
dang-fangled ideas as the old guard die off and the reactionary
new tech gets a look in.

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

At least the word 'wireless' is back in vogue ...

Re: SC mag - Great guys - but whom?

Speaking of web based publishing, I find it interesting that I make
more money now from people who visit my web site to look at my
projects than I ever made from getting the project published in the
first place!
You might be surprised at the amount of revenue a popular technical
website can generate.

Dave :)

Site Timeline