SC DSP Musicolour

As mentioned a little while back, the new DSP Musicolour is in the latest SC. Plenty of high voltage "Danger, Will Robinson" type warnings as you'd expect, but no physical barrier by the looks of it. But the construction notes are next month. At least the Triacs are the insulated tab type.

Oh, and a valve amplifer review on the front cover. Of course, they had to start the article with "Some readers may be annoyed by the sight of a review of a valve amplifier"

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

hmmmm..... shades of EAT 2001 :-)

Mind you, I got a shock when I saw what sales of new valve amplifiers is today. Didn't realise this industry existed to the extend that it does. No shortage of enthusiasts.

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Intelligent 2.83" AMOLED with touch screen for micros:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16699
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Doesn't surprise me. And I've heard the vintage hobby is big too, hence the long running column in SC. But the question is, does this stuff belong in Silicon Chip?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

**Ultimately, SC must satisfy their advertisers and their readers. If the readers demand information on a particular product (cheap, but poor value for money Chinese valve amps) then they need to respond accordingly. They reviewed the product fairly, IMO. The also, correctly, added that the product was hardly good value for money and could be comfortably outperformed by a much cheaper solid state product.

As for the vintage radio stuff, I agree that it is of passing interest to me, but I have gained some insights by the occasional read. [Anecdote] One of my mates is a tech and has recently completed a (very time-consuming) restoration of a black & white TV set. He told me that it was one of the few remote control (yep, turret tuner and all) sets in Australia. I've yet to see it, but his last restoration (a 1920s vintage radio) was astonishingly good.

Whatever floats your boat.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Even Leo's intro in big bold red text, indicates he is biased away from valve designs.

Does it belong in SC? I couldn't see too may other Australian magazines doing such an in depth technical appraisal, and have the readers understand it. Unless there are specific mags aimed at this market, but not having a direct interest, there may well be.

I haven't played with valves since the late 50's/early 60's. I was glad to see transistors come along. :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Intelligent 2.83" AMOLED with touch screen for micros:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16699
Reply to
Don McKenzie

"Trevor Wilson"

** That would likely be a mid 60s Kriesler, 23inch console TV set.

The remote control unit was on a long multicore cable and had a small speaker fitted inside it for personal listening. The functions included volume, brightness and channel change - up or down.

The turret tuner was driven around by an induction motor plus step down gear box and it " chugged" between channels - stopping only on the ones you had pre-set. The TV had independent fine tune knobs for each channel on the front.

They made thousands of the things in various versions.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I remember those fairly well. Very advanced technology for its time.

Reply to
Bob Parker

Then he must have a lot of readers (or the reader surveys) tell him people want this stuff, if he is doing it, as it appears, somewhat "against his will".

I'd love to see the results of the last reader survey conducted.

I agree. Doesn't mean it belongs though!

I've always been of the opinion that all these type of reviews and vintage radio stuff don't really belong in SC, but that's just me. But if it keeps SC afloat, then so be it I guess.

Perhaps I should have done a valve MP3 player watch project? :->

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"Trevor Wilson"

** Kindly point me to those words in the article.

BTW 1: The amp tested showed around 1% THD as full power was approached - which is very poor - as was the *pathetic* damping factor figure of 1.68.

Even valve amps made in the 1950s ( Quad, Leak etc) boasted 0.1 % THD and DFs of 10 or 20.

The design of this Chinese example must be VERY primitive.

BTW 2: The graph on page 77 for 4 ohm load ( THD v. Watts ) is plain wrong.

BTW 3: I bet it does use toroidal mains and output transformers, tall ones do exist.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"David L. Jones"

** Hmmm - it is now just on twenty years since SC published a 240 volt musicolour design.

Took them a while to get over the furore generated by their last one ........

** " * Four phase-controlled output channels...
  • Zero voltage switching of Triacs for minimum RF interference. "

Anyone see a *problem* with these two claims ???

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Anyone want to play spot the glaring error in the USB power injector project?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Is there a prize Dave?

The one obvious item I noticed was the box cover print shows 9V AC/DC Input, and the schematic appears to allow for 6VDC. This has a single diode apparently for polarity protection only, not full wave rectification.

That is as far as I went, as I had just got a Logitech 4 port USB powered hub (5V@2.5A output) for $28 from K-Mart.

msy.com.au have 4 port powered hubs listed at $8, but then, I get to wait in a line for 40 minutes. :-)

So unless it was for the experience of building the kit, I don't see it as being a practical project for myself, or too many others.

BTW The Maxtor Onetouch (pictured) must be a monster with power. I think it's a Seagate.

I have many external 2.5" USB drives, and it's the only one that seems to need a powered hub to kick it off. Got the usual 2 connectors, but won't run up to speed with a non-powered hub, and I believe this could be why this project was designed.

As soon as I saw the drive picture in the article, I thought some other poor bugger got stuck with one of those. I run mine from a $9.95 Ritmo AC to USB power adapter KT-22A ouput 5V@1A, and it runs fine.

Sort of defeats the purpose of having a nice little 2.5" drive to pop in your pocket, or notebook bag.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Intelligent 2.83" AMOLED with touch screen for micros:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16699
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Perhaps Leo will offer a free subscription?

That ain't it, but nice guess, thanks for playing. You are welcome to try again.

Can anyone else beat Don to the punch?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Seagate and Maxtor are the same thing these days. Recently I was looking into buying an external 500GB drive but then I looked at user reviews. The number of people having 3.5" external drives of all brands either fail without warning after a few weeks/months or fail when they bumped them and they fell over put me right off so I bought an internal Seagate unit and installed it in my PC case without any problems. I've got a 2.5" 80GB external Seagate FreeAgent drive whose cable has two USB plugs to allow it to get up to 1A from a pair of ports which is reasonably convenient.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

I have been paranoid about backups since my wife unplugged the power to the TRS-80 in March 1978, after I had invested about 8 hours into a program. She only wanted to plug in a double adapter, so she could get a bit of ironing done :-) I failed to write a copy to audio tape before the damage was done.

In the XT days, (early 80's) I had an external 20Mb drive hanging outside the case, and alternated backups to another spare 20Mb drive every day. That is, a 3 drive system, which I have used ever since.

I then graduated to plug in caddies, the ones with the blue Centronics type connectors, but they proved very troublesome, as the connectors kept failing. Each time they did, I purchased another.

When USB V2 came along, it was fast enough to use for my dual backup system, however I have lost many external drives in the process, so I have to agree with you Bob, regarding external 3.5" drives.

Seeing the 2.5" more robust, notebook drives dropping in price, and increasing in capacity, made me think about them as a new potential backup system.

But the first drive I tried was a Maxtor, and I found that it really takes some grunt in the 5V department to fire up.

Am now trying an nice little LACIE which so far has been humming away nicely, usually on one USB port.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Intelligent 2.83" AMOLED with touch screen for micros:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16699
Reply to
Don McKenzie

You mean apart from the fact that it's cheaper and easier to just buy a powered USB hub?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

messagenews:483e8f37$ snipped-for-privacy@dnews.tpgi.com.au...

Yep, apart from that, an error in the design.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

messagenews:483e8f37$ snipped-for-privacy@dnews.tpgi.com.au...

Another recent project that falls under that category is the dsPIC programmer. You can buy a genuine Microchip PICkit2 programmer for under $40, and it supports all the PIC ranges, including the dsPIC. And if you need the ZIF socket (who needs to with ICSP?) simply wire one up. Add to that it's USB powered, can even power your (low power) project, can double as a 3 channel 1MS/s logic analyser, and integrates into MPLAB Makes the SC project look very silly indeed. The space would have been better served reviewing the PICkit2

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

. . .

To have any chance in this game I would have to rush out and buy the latest SC.

Just how much is Leo paying you?

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

"Andy Wood"

** LOL !!

I have put a scan of the schematic on ABSE for you.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison