SBS jamming GPS ?

**See:

SBS TV transmissions in Sydney are interfering with GPS receivers.

A prof at NSW uni says so.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/11/3161861.htm

Consider:

GPS satellites all transmit on 1575.42 MHz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System#Satellite_frequencies

SBS analogue TV is on UHF28 = 526 to 533 MHz with vision carrier on
527.25MHz.

So even the third harmonic is several MHz at least away from GPS
frequencies -  but how selective are the receivers?

Is this yet another media beat up ?

Do GPS units go awry near Artarmon ?

....  Phil

Re: SBS jamming GPS ?

**Mine doesn't. And it is just the crappy one in my Nokia 'phone. It is far
less sensitive than the dedicated units available. It takes forever to log
the satellites. I've used it in the St Leonards/Artarmon/Crows Nest/Lane
Cove area many times. Never had a problem.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: SBS jamming GPS ?
On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:52:55 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"

Just done a spot check at our humble ruin here in Lane Cove, between
what Google earth says our place is at and what the iPhone says.....
.003 degrees difference in lat and 6 decimal places of zero for long!
iPhone gave an accuracy of 10m so I reckon it falls well within the
accuracy (?). Question is how does Google earth determine lat and
long?
Sounds a bit like a beat up.

Re: SBS jamming GPS ?

yep, unless you buy a cheap crappy GPS.

Re: SBS jamming GPS ?

No, never have, even the 10 year old cheap ones with a simple patch
antenna.
Ask any Sydney based Geocacher.

Dave.

Site Timeline