Samsung TV Remote control not working

I have friend 100 kms away who knows nothing about electronics. TV remote control does not work but the remote itself worked with another set in the shop. Warrentee technician claims after a few weeks that the problem is Energy Saving (CFL)lamps interfering with Remote.

Difficult to get everything in one place and do what I would call "Problem Isolation".

Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this??

I would have thought if this was a problem there would be an outcry.

It worked for the first couple of years.

--
John G
Reply to

Well, there are two halves to a remote system. If the hand-held unit works with other sets then the obvious suspicion is that the problem lies within the television itself. It's perfectly possible for the remote receiver electronics to die without affecting the rest of the television.

Any nonsense about CFLs could clearly be dealt with by turning them off when doing a test.

Assuming the handheld unit was supplied with the television, both it and the television should be handed to the warantee technician with the request that he sort it out.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

"John G"

** Remotes go dead if the batteries are not connecting reliably to the contacts inside the remote. Removing, cleaning all the contacts involved fixes the problem in 90% of cases.

A thin coating of WD 40 never hurts.

BTW

Only complete asses take up other people's faults they cannot even see happening.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well Yes.

--
John G
Reply to

Phil Allison explained :

The elderly lady is on her own and asked for some help. Of course it would be easier to have all the components in front of one but I am asking if this is a possible answer. If you don't know then :-[ PS. I have probably been solving problems since long before you were born but I am looking for some other experiences so please try and be polite.

--
John G
Reply to

Polite ? Phil?

Now you've done it, that's a red rag to a bull.

Phil gets his jollies being obnoxious to people he doesnt know.

Reply to
IamThe99%

I have had that problem before in the late 1990's.

In this case it happened as the CFL's aged, replacing them cured the problem. The way we found out was that it was observed that the remote only had problems when the lights were on, and after that it was a process of elimination.

It seems that they emit IR radiation at the right frequency to overload, or interfere with the receiver. I can only theorise that the frequency or intensity changed with age just enough to make this problem show up in this particular system.

There was also a longer than usual distance between the remote and the receiver also.

First thing to check, if CFL is suspected is to try the remote with the CFL's turned off, or make a thin cardboard tube,

Reply to
kreed

Could well be a CFL causing the problem. My air con remote does not work for a short while after I switch on the (CFL) light. Usually the problem goes away after a few mins

-- Sell your surplus electronic components at

Search or browse for that IC, capacitor, crystal or other component you need. Or find new components at

Alan

"Alan the Dopehead "

** Really ?

How the f*ck would a dope like you know ?

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison