Samsung TV Remote control not working

I have friend 100 kms away who knows nothing about electronics.
TV remote control does not work but the remote itself worked with
another set in the shop.
Warrentee technician claims after a few weeks that the problem is
Energy Saving (CFL)lamps interfering with Remote.

Difficult to get everything in one place and do what I would call
"Problem Isolation".

Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this??

I would have thought if this was a problem there would be an outcry.

It worked for the first couple of years.

--
John G

Re: Samsung TV Remote control not working

Well, there are two halves to a remote system. If the hand-held unit
works with other sets then the obvious suspicion is that the problem
lies within the television itself. It's perfectly possible for the
remote receiver electronics to die without affecting the rest of the
television.

Any nonsense about CFLs could clearly be dealt with by turning them off
when doing a test.

Assuming the handheld unit was supplied with the television, both it and
the television should be handed to the warantee technician with the
request that he sort it out.

Sylvia.

Re: Samsung TV Remote control not working
Sylvia Else laid this down on his screen :

Well Yes.

--
John G

Re: Samsung TV Remote control not working

"John G"

** Remotes go dead if the batteries are not connecting reliably to the
contacts inside the remote.  Removing, cleaning all the contacts involved
fixes the problem in 90% of cases.

A thin coating of WD 40 never hurts.

BTW

Only complete asses take up other people's faults they cannot even see
happening.

....  Phil

Re: Samsung TV Remote control not working
Phil Allison explained :

The elderly lady is on her own and asked for some help.
Of course  it would be easier to have all the components in front of
one but I am asking if this is a possible answer.
If you don't know then :-[
PS. I  have probably been solving problems since long before you were
born but I am looking for some other experiences so please try and be
polite.

--
John G

Re: Samsung TV Remote control not working

Polite ? Phil?

Now you've done it, that's a red rag to a bull.

Phil gets his jollies being obnoxious to people he doesnt know.

Re: Samsung TV Remote control not working

I have had that problem before in the late 1990's.

In this case it happened as the CFL's aged, replacing
them cured the problem. The way we found out was that it was
observed that the remote only had problems when the lights were on, and after
that it was a process of elimination.

It seems that they emit IR radiation at the right frequency
to overload, or interfere with the receiver.  I can only theorise
that the frequency or intensity changed with age just enough to
make this problem show up in this particular system.

There was also a longer than usual distance between
the remote and the receiver also.

First thing to check, if CFL is suspected is to try the remote with the
CFL's turned off, or make a thin cardboard tube,

Re: Samsung TV Remote control not working
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 01:54:16 -0700 (PDT), kreed

Could well be a CFL causing the problem.  My air con remote does not
work for a short while after I switch on the (CFL) light.  Usually the
problem goes away after a few mins

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at http://ozcomponents.com
Search or browse for that IC, capacitor,

"Alan the Dopehead  "

** Really  ?

 How the fuck would a dope like you know  ?

...   Phil

Site Timeline