Safety alert: Dremel tools and long shank bits

Drilling using a 2mm cobalt bit in a Dremel handheld tool. I withdrew
the bit from the new hole, and went to turn the drill off using the
speed selector in the handle. By mistake, turned the speed to max
(12000 rpm?). The drill revved up in no time, then there was an
increase in vibration, the bit bent and snapped, and was flung
violently across the room. If my eye had been in the way, that would
have been it. There was enough imbalance in the bit for the very high
speed to cause it to bend to the breaking point, almost
instantaneously. Take care, I note that the couple of bits supplied
with the tool are short stubs,  possibly to avoid the problem I
experienced.

Re: Safety alert: Dremel tools and long shank bits

Getting into the habit of wearing safety glasses while in a workshop is
a good idea.

Re: Safety alert: Dremel tools and long shank bits
What he said.

    Cheers,
        Gary    B-)

--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't really mean it.