Safety alert: Dremel tools and long shank bits

Drilling using a 2mm cobalt bit in a Dremel handheld tool. I withdrew the bit from the new hole, and went to turn the drill off using the speed selector in the handle. By mistake, turned the speed to max (12000 rpm?). The drill revved up in no time, then there was an increase in vibration, the bit bent and snapped, and was flung violently across the room. If my eye had been in the way, that would have been it. There was enough imbalance in the bit for the very high speed to cause it to bend to the breaking point, almost instantaneously. Take care, I note that the couple of bits supplied with the tool are short stubs, possibly to avoid the problem I experienced.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Getting into the habit of wearing safety glasses while in a workshop is a good idea.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

What he said.

Cheers, Gary B-)

--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't really mean it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt