SA Greenies

This SA green power supply works well does not it?

Re: SA Greenies

Where does the 'SA Greenies' or 'green' fit into the picture?

Re: SA Greenies
The greenies have made a system that relies on wind power etc, have shut
down a coal fired generator and rely on other states for backup and if
the wind does not blow or they have a storm that damages things their
setup does not work well.

Re: SA Greenies

So, who are these 'greenies' you speak of?

Re: SA Greenies
The south Australian government is inclined to greenie views and is
attempting to run their power supply along green lines and it is not
working so far.

Re: SA Greenies

You sure they're not commies too?

Re: SA Greenies
No, just inclined to green views,so far it has cost SA the most
expensive and unreliable power system  in Aus .
All this renewable energy is a good idea if worked up to slowly.
In the interim things like much cleaner coal fired would fill the gap
till we work out renewables that work and are cost effective.
Modern reactors are probably the best at the moment but we are not
likely to go that way.

Re: SA Greenies

It's a great idea, I generate all my own power from solar and have
done for years, so I know it is viable.

I'll be all for nuclear power once we can both safely harness/control
the energy and dispose of the waste. We still can't do any of those
things, so it's not an option IMO.

Re: SA Greenies

I was thinking that "Van Dieman's Land" would make make a wonderful
repository for the waste. It has all the essentials, small population, lots
of
scenic wonders and is not part of the mainland.

Re: SA Greenies

Yes, I agree. Would be a perfect place for it.

Re: SA Greenies

... but that wasn't in aus.eletronics thank the gods!
--
Shaun.

Re: SA Greenies

It will do in the not too distant future!
All that needed is a nationalisation of all power generation capacity,
and speeding up the building of all types of renewable energy generation
plants coupled with increased research efforts to resolve the issue of
access storage. Better batteries are already on the way!

Fossil fuel reliant generation is now a dead end industry.
Clean coal technology is a pie in the sky!

--

(A Devil in service of aus.politics and Usenet)

Re: SA Greenies

Probably better than your trolling attempt.

Re: SA Greenies

It's not helping us in NSW, with the AEMO warning of rolling blackouts
later today as people return home from work and turn on air conditioners
just as the solar panel output is dropping because the sun is going down.

The existence of those panels means that there is less incentive to
invest in peak load power generation capacity, since it will always be
undercut by solar when the sun is shining. But had that capacity
existed, we could have used it into the evening when it's needed.

If you had such a generator, it could earn you $14 per kWh at times today.

The grid should shed those with solar panels first once the sun goes
down - but of course, it can't.

Sylvia.

Re: SA Greenies

And that is part of the problem.  People who can't cope without air con
and don't have any other strategy for coping with heat other than
reliance on such a fragile thing.

Shedding those solar panel owners would be grossly unfair anyway.  The
power companies are onselling the power generated by those solar panel
owners for far more than the power companies are paying (or have ever
paid out for that power going into their grid).

Re: SA Greenies

Let us go back to the old days where the old and infirm died because
they don't have any other strategy for coping with heat

Re: SA Greenies

READ the thread!  People coming home from work and turning on their air
con WILL NOT BE THE OLD OR THE INFIRM you twit!

The old and infirm are the only ones who should be allowed to turn on
their aircon in the current situation.

Re: SA Greenies

The only reason we have a problem is that people run air-conditioners.
If only the old and infirm ran them then we'd have plenty of generation
capacity.

Except that if that were the practice in the past, the generation
capacity to cope wouldn't have been built, and we'd simply have the same
problem but with less comfort.

There's no reason we, as consumers, should have to manage with less
power than we want to consume. It is the responsibility of the
government to ensure that enough capacity exists, either by adjusting
the market parameters to encourage the construction of sufficient
capacity, or, as a last resort, constructing that capacity themselves.

The alternative is that those who can afford to do so will install
backup power systems, and those who cannot will suffer outages. That's
hardly an equitable result.

I'm a bit sceptical as to whether the market can really handle this on
its own, because having enough capacity for the extreme events implies
having capacity that's very rarely used. People build generators to earn
a profit, and it's hard to determine whether a profit can be made when
the requirement for the capacity is so rare.

It maybe that the only way is for the government to build generators
that it guarantees will sit idle except for the occasions when the spot
electricity price reaches its maximum allowed value (currently $14 per
kWh) and there is still insufficient capacity. The cost of that would,
of course, ultimately have to be born by consumers.

Sylvia.

Re: SA Greenies
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 11:58:38 +1100, Sylvia Else

No mention of those providing Solar power during peak demand times?
Seem a lot of homes have solar panels many in my street mine supplies
13 Kw nieghbours about the same.
Couldn't go without air-conditioning, my Jacuzzi, super wide TV and
sound system and cappuccino maker
--
Petzl
What perfect set of circumstances placed our Sun a Celestial ball of fire at just the correct distance from our little blue planet for life to evolve?

Part of the problem yesterday was that people were coming home to hot
houses, and turning on the air-conditioning and other power consuming
appliances, just at the time solar panels were ceasing output as the sun
went down.

Sylvia

Site Timeline