S-Video -> 2x RCA?

Mate of mine just bought a cable like this one .. no mention on the box or on the website there about WHAT the extra RCA plug is for?

I wasn't aware you could get audio on an S-Video connector? Am I wrong there perhaps? There is no video signal on the 2nd (white) connector..

Thanks in advance!

[ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ]
[ http://www.VIDGuide.com ]
Reply to
Lord-Data

S-video is the video signal split into 2 signals - luminance and chrominance. If you plug the luminance signal into a composite video input you'll get a black and white image. If you plug the chrominance signal in, you'll get nothing because there is no sync information (but there is something there). That kind of cable is handy if you want to send the signal over a long run of 2 coaxial cables. You need another of the same cable at the other end to plug into the S-Video input of the destination device.

Reply to
Poxy

Some monitors built before SVHS was invented used two phono sockets for luma/chroma input.

Reply to
Tim Worthington