RTV&H DVD

"Graeme Zimmer"

** Err - is that RTV&H only or does it include EA ?

The name changed to EA in 1965 when Jim Rowe became editor.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison"

** The 1965 date was taken from the SC web site -

but I know for sure it is wrong.

Seeing as I built the RTV&H, May 1966, 2MHz, 3 inch CRO.

It must have been a year or two later.

Anyone got the exact date the name changed ??

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Graeme Zimmer"

** Hmmm,

maybe that neat little all valve 3" CRO sitting on the shelf in my workshop was described in the May 1966 issue of Electronics Australia.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hi Zim, did you get that Altronics 1200watt inverter going. I see you bought a 1500watt Sinewave inverter. I guess both Altronics units are now sitting idle in the shed. Best Regards.

Reply to
APR

"Graeme Zimmer"

** Heaps of nostalgia for Boomers there !!

** Yes, the 3" CRO was shown on the cover of the May '66 issue.
** Only one 6BL8 in the horizontal TB / amp had a sudden demise since I built mine in 1970.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Have just heard the following direct from Leo Simpson........

"The entire archive of RTV&H is now available on DVD ROM for $69 including postage. There will be a short review of it in the coming June issue of SILICON CHIP"

Regards ............... Zim ............ VK3GJZ

***
Reply to
Graeme Zimmer

"Graeme Zimmer"

** And " Incorporating RADIO, TELEVISION & HOBBIES ".

Also, I'm sure that 3" CRO was advertised by kit suppliers as being from RTV&H, May 1966.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Some dates I found on the Web...

Wireless Weekly started August 4, 1922, on a weekly basis

Radio and hobbies Vol. 1, no. 1 Apr. 1939

Radio, Television and Hobbies. Vol.16, no.11 Feb 1955

Electronics Australia started April 1965

Electronics Australia Today April 2001 to July 2001 ?

........................ Zim

***
Reply to
Graeme Zimmer

This page

suggests that RTV&H started Jan 1956

and EA started in Jan 1966

Someone has a Web page with a huge collection of RTV&H cover page photos. I'll try to find it.........

......................... Zim

***
Reply to
Graeme Zimmer

Here's that page .....

The first enry for EA was Sept 65, then a gap 'till Aug 67. Pity about that.

I do remember the 3'' CRO, Phil. A mate built one and asked me to fix it when he ran into some probs.

Not yet. Have been snowed under. I haven't forgotten to let you know results...

Later ................................... Zim

***
Reply to
Graeme Zimmer

shows an April 65 EA

................ Zim

***
Reply to
Graeme Zimmer

Hi Folks,

Just to let you know that my RTV&H DVD arrived today.

First impressions ? It's brilliant !!!

The DVD covers from April 1939 to March 1965. Is in PDF format (rather than some weird proprietary format, like so many others). The resolution varies from high definition colour (covers, photographs, etc) through to lower definition B&W for less important stuff (adverts, etc). There is 4.4 Gb material on the DVD.

It even has the Index page of each mag done separately in high definition, so you can print out a (thick) index.

There has been a huge amount of work gone into it. I would recommend it unreservedly.

It was produced by:

John Wright Australian DX Publishing

29 Milford Rd Peakhurst NSW 2210

You can buy it from Silicon Chip for $69 inc postage.

(I have no connection with S.C. or the publisher, etc, etc)

regards ....................... Zim ........................... VK3GJZ

***
Reply to
Graeme Zimmer

**Cool. Now what will I do with all my 1930s and 1940s Radio and Hobbies mags?

Seriously, though, see if you can find the issue where in the news section they report on the development of the 'Transfer-Resistor'. I have the original somehwere. It is a real hoot. They didn't forsee a great future for the new device, except in the area of portable radios and the like.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Trevor Wilson

Thumbs up to SC Can we assume an EA DVD is not too far away then?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

and they were right, the Transfer-Resistor, a.k.a. Transistor, did not last long, to be replaced by F.E.T.'s (yes, I know the T is for transistor, but they operate on different basis) and I.C.'s.

Daniel

Daniel

Radio Television and Hobbies (Feb 1955 to Mar 1965)

Electronics Australia (Apr 1965 to May 1990)

Electronics Australia with ETI (Jun 1990 to Apr 1995)

back to Electronics Australia (May 1995 to Mar 2000)

EA (Apr 2000 to Dec 2000 / Jan 2001, Vol. 62 No. 12)

and finally the short-lived EAT - Electronics Australia Today (Apr 2001, Vol. 63 No. 4 to Sep / Oct 2001, Vol. 63 No. 8) consisting of only 5 issues, before ceasing publication. Volume 63 Numbers 1 to 3 were never produced during the change over from EA to EAT.

Source:

Paul Carson