RS Coponents Australia

How long do they actually usually take to deliver in Australia
something that comes ex-stock from the UK? They implied around 6 days,
but I've been waiting since the 19th Jan.

Sylvia.

Re: RS Coponents Australia

**In general, Farnell and RS Components set the standard in this country for
service. It is certainly unusual for delivery to take longer than promised.
What did they say, when you asked about the delay?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: RS Coponents Australia

Well, I sent them an email asking about the order, and they've sent a
reply asking me to contact them about it.

Isn't that what I just did?

Sylvia.

Re: RS Coponents Australia

**It would seem so. For the record: I have found Farnell to have superior
stock levels and service. If they stock your item, then they may be a better
choice next time.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: RS Coponents Australia

Someone else recently expressed the opposite view to me. I suppose it
depends on one's personal experience of the two.

I assume that what RS mean by "contact them" is that I should phone
them. They're not the first organisation I've come across that seems
incapable of dealing with something without having a person hanging on
to the other end of a phone line.

What if I were deaf? (I'm not, despite what some people may think). It
must be hugely annoying to a deaf person to be told that email is not an
adequate means of communication and that voice if the only acceptable mode.

Sylvia.

Re: RS Coponents Australia

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 21:35:39 +1100, Sylvia Else

I normally only deal with Farnell. My experience has been that any
items they haven't had in stock and had to get from the U.K. has only
taken a week max. for me to receive.

Re: RS Coponents Australia

**Huh? That RS provides good service? Certainly, that has been my
experience. Farnell, IME, is better. Does Farnell stock the item you
require?

**Deal with Farnell next time. You are likely to experience fewer problems.
Tell RS why you are switching suppliers.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: RS Coponents Australia

It appears that there was a problem with my credit card details (not
specified, but probably expiry date given that they were recalled from
RS Components' database). They'd neglected to inform me before despite
having a valid email address (but not a valid telephone number).

Sylvia.

Re: RS Coponents Australia

Actully, the specific comment made by the other person related to stock
levels in Australia - that RSComponents was more likely than Farnell to
have an item here, available for delivery next day.

Sylvia

Re: RS Coponents Australia

**Perhaps my question was unclear. Does Farnell stock the item you require?

Everyone will have an opinion of RS vs. Farnell. My experience is that
Farnell is superior. That said, RS has always, IME, provided excellent
service. Of course, I have a 30 day account with both companies, so I need
not bother with credit card silliness.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: RS Coponents Australia

Check these buggers out, mate. The best electronics supplier in the world.
They are still doing what Dick Smith Electronics long ago forgot to do.
Supply parts. Farnell and RS aren't too far behind, but Conrad is the best.
http://conrad.com /

You don't have them yet in OZ, but they might open a branch if you ask
nicely.

Re: RS Coponents Australia

I don't think I like their prices and then shipping on top...

Tom

Re: RS Coponents Australia

**Why bother? Their prices are far too high (I checked a couple of items).
Farnell provides free shipping on all orders and I can obtain a part within
4 hours, if I require it.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: RS Coponents Australia
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:15:12 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"

I've used Mouser occasionally too. They had free shipping to Oz for a
while, but I don't know if they still do.

Re: RS Coponents Australia

Fair comment, I prefer to walk into the shop and buy, but there are no
Farnell or
RS shops close to me. Is Conrad really so expensive ? What items did you
actually compare ?

 Fritz

Re: RS Coponents Australia

**Does Farnell stock the item you require?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: RS Coponents Australia

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 21:35:39 +1100, Sylvia Else

Mebbe they want there to be no record of the conversation and any
commitments/promises/best_guesses they give you.  Email can be damning
evidence.

Re: RS Coponents Australia

Well, the explanation they gave is that they thought I wouldn't want to
send my credit card details by email. Though their original message said
nothing about the reason for wanting me to contact them.

Sylvia.

Re: RS Coponents Australia

mode.

Darn right. Ask them for their Telex address if email is too modern for them
to handle :-)

MrT.

Re: RS Coponents Australia

When Optus upgraded their cable network a while back, which was going to
render my old modem obsolete, they sent me a new cable modem with
self-install instructions (despite their usual line being that people
have to pay for a tech to come round to install modems). Installing it
was easy (how hard can it be?), but it had to be registered on their
network, for which they wanted me to phone to provide the umpteendigit
HF MAC id.

They absolutely refused to do this by email, despite the clear benefits
of having the id written down, rather than recited over a phone line. I
remain bemused by their stance. Apparently they'd rather annoy me than
use the same information from an email that they'd otherwise get from a
phone call.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline