RIP Bob Pease

Writing a book makes you an expert?

Total money earned doing analog design would be a better measure ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Apparently they had hired him back as a consultant.

d_in_car_crash.php

Reply to
Wanderer

They say these things happen in threes. Who wants to be next?

Reply to
Wanderer

=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 ...Jim T= hompson

=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0| =C2=A0 =C2=A0mens =C2=A0 = =C2=A0 |

=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 | =C2=A0 =C2=A0 et =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2= =A0|

nus =C2=A0 =C2=A0|

=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 |

=C2=A0|

=A0 =C2=A0 |

od.

From the wiki.

A guru (Sanskrit: =E0=A4=97=E0=A5=81=E0=A4=B0=E0=A5=81) is one who is regar= ded as having great knowledge, wisdom, and authority in a certain area, and who uses it to guide others (teacher).

Wanderer

Try out...

:-] ...Jim Thompson

Bob Pease was in the MIT Class of 1961 (I'm Class of 1962).

I can recall seeing Bob, all dressed out in lederhosen and backpack, charging up the stairs in Building 10, multiple steps at a time, screaming like "Roosevelt" in that old classic movie "Arsenic and Old Lace".

I can also recall thinking, "What a weirdo" ;-)

It was distressing to me to see the accident report calling Bob, "an elderly gentleman"... we're the same age :-( ...Jim Thompson

=3D4...

I'd just re-read "What's All This Femtoampere Stuff?" a week or so back. (wanted to revisit the triboelectric stuff)

Pease was a character. I s'pose Widlar and Williams (Tony) and Williams (Jim) needed needed one more, for doubles.

Shame, for us.

-- James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Retired perhaps. But it's VERY easy to believe he was still there. Many smart companies have an "emeritus" status or similar they award to someone 25% as important as Bob Pease.

Consider if they did not do so... Competitor B (and C & D) would call him that day and say "We have a lab for you; come in when you want, do what you want..."

David Lesher

Roosevelt was not in Arsenic And Old Lace. At all.

Reply to
OutsideObserver

Missing prong, always wrong...

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Dumbfuck! The Brewster family had an older brother in it and HE was a crazy old fart who thought he was Roosevelt. It was HE that stormed up the stairs.

You pathetic dumbfuck!

Reply to
OutsideObserver

I met Bob a couple of times in the mid 2000s, when his analog seminars stopped in Long Island, and we corresponded occasionally thereafter. I have an autographed poster of him on my lab wall. I learned a lot from his app notes (as well as Widlar's, Dobkin's, Yamatake's, and Williams's).

He won't be writing any more, which is sad.

So to all you old farts with good stuff to pass on--get busy writing.

Cheers

Phil

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I talked with him soon after it happened. He was _not_ happy with National's management at that point. Glad to hear they made up.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC
Optics Electro-optics Photonics Analog Electronics

55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Is this a unique event? Have there been other accidents at that spot?!!

A fitting tribute to RAP would be to discover one major hidden source of car accidents. Then get it publicized and fixed. (re. the chain story)

Reply to
Bill Beaty

...Which is explained 17 paragraphs into:

...For those of us that weren't aware of the incident.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I don't know if they did an autopsy, but I'd bet it would show a "health event"... diabetes can make you prone to heart attacks.

(BTW, I did a similar "chain event" in my '77 280Z in an unlighted restaurant parking lot around 1980. But my reflexes were faster and I just scratched the hood ;-) ...Jim Thompson

It might not have been a heart attack or stroke, as diabetes can also = cause=20 impaired mental function, blurred vision, and other effects that could=20 explain an accident such as this. Either hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia = can=20 cause major problems. Also significant may be the fact that Bob was late = to=20 the memorial event and he was in a highly stressed state. I don't know = if=20 his not wearing a seat belt contributed to his death, or if that was = typical=20 for him. However tragic, and whatever the cause, it was a blessing that = he=20 died instantly and did not suffer.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

!

Look closely at google maps above. It appears that if you're not expecting the sudden 160deg turn, you'll do exactly what the Mercury News described: sail across the winery driveway and hit a tree. (I'm assuming I have the correct spot here, and he was coming from the south.) At that location, I wonder what the warning signs and guardrails look like. Or if there are any.

We don't have google earth here at work, so I can't check whether the highway was downhill at that point.

How would one access the accident records for a location? Find out whether it's a "death curve" or not?

Reply to
Bill Beaty

..

Damn. I used to bicycle then drive that part of Pierce Road frequently.

Reply to
josephkk

Hmm. So you have considered praying there ain't no heaven and cursing that there ain't no hell? Sorry, that song phrase just keeps going off = in my head. I adulterated it a bit.

Reply to
josephkk