ring tones...... sneaky bastards

I have made a mistake of clicking on a homepage that was on one of the news
groups. It took me to a free ring tone page. I put my mobile number in there
to see what would happen. Faaarrrrkkk.... 4 sms messages cost me $18. Each
one has a homepage for wap to download ring tone. I don't have wap. I didn't
know what the fffaaarrrkkk it was. I do now. Anyway... if anyone is caught
out... It most likely came from www.stealthnet.com.au   . There phone number
for cancelling it is 1300884538. Local phone call.  Might be very hard to
actually talk to someone on the phone though. I also sent them a request via
there email.   snipped-for-privacy@stealthnet.com.au
I hope they are understanding. Just letting you know just in case you make
the same mistake.

Re: ring tones...... sneaky bastards

How can an SMS cost $4.50? I thought they were about $0.20?

Mike Harding

Re: ring tones...... sneaky bastards

This is half the problem with these types of "providers".   What a neat
money making idea.  Set up a server in your back room, spend a bit on TV or
Net advertising and get fools to pay $4 or more a week to receive stooooopid
ringtones and wallpapers for their mobile phones.   Later the consumer
decides it's all too silly and wants to cancel.  Huh!  Now try stopping the
automatic downloads.  Almost impossible unless you keep the phone switched
off 24/7.   And the bills keep coming in......

Moral of the story.  Get one of your gullible mates to subscribe to these
junk services before you waste your money.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: ring tones...... sneaky bastards

This is what I got back. I hope they got the message this time.

Please be advised that your mobile number has been removed from our ringtone
subscription service on 191188. No further content will de delivered to your
handset.

 Kind Regards,  Stealthnet Support

Re: ring tones...... sneaky bastards

Especially that stupid frog pretending
to ride a bike

Re: ring tones...... sneaky bastards

Correct , but you are charged for the service they provide , in this a
new ring tone on your phone .

Re: ring tones...... sneaky bastards

the news
in there
$18. Each
I didn't
caught
phone number
hard to
request via
you make

They're premium SMS numbers. In this case it was probably also
"receiver pays" which means that they initiate the SMS and you're
billed for receiving it. That's how they run a subscription service,
they regularly send you content which is a charged premium SMS.

To the OP, I'd take it up with your mobile phone carrier. Premium SMS
charges are apparently fairly easy for consumers to get reversed,
because of the sneaky way that many operators work.

Re: ring tones...... sneaky bastards

Such as??

Re: ring tones...... sneaky bastards

service,
SMS

I guess you're asking what's sneaky? Read the original post. :)

Most of the TV ads have the pricing and conditions in tiny font,
sometimes displayed for only a few seconds. Not much different to the
TV ads for 0055 numbers several years ago - if you were too busy
looking at the busty girl wringing out a car wash sponge you would have
missed it!

Back to premium SMS, if the carrier and/or content providers routinely
refused to refund a "I didn't know I was going to be charged for
this/this much/every week" request then there would likely be some
issues with consumers taking their own action.

Site Timeline