Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

Sounds more like parallel importing and selling at a lower price than the local dealer, rather than 'dumping'. That's not illegal in USAor NZ. Dunno about Oz.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

the

=A0Dunno

Bingo. Only the manufacturer can dump. Like I said, the story doesn't pass the smell test. Further, nobody has pointed out on ebays website where they would take such action.

The issue is by refusing to sell something, you also subject yourself to legal action. This is why most companies simply wait for the temporary injunction before taking action.

Reply to
miso

Don't let it worry you, most of the people running big business don't understand it either ;-)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

It's probably legal in Australia. I know of of at least one pro photo dealer who sells Canon and Nikon SLRs and equipment from two sources. They source their stuff through legal distributors as well as the do import themselves, many items have two prices and they do explain pitfalls of buying a cheaper one. It's nice to have a choice when you understand what you are getting into.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Well, today one of the EE's in the shop left work unexpectedly , shortly after, the IT guy said he needed to get into his office because he was told to extract his HD "C:" drive.

Our EE friend didn't return from where ever it was, he went today.

Maybe he didn't understand big business either? :)

We're not exactly sure what happen at this point, but I told the rest of my colleagues, this is a good time to start a rumor! We'll find out tomorrow, I am sure. :)

Reply to
Jamie

n the

=A0Dunno

ler who sells Canon and Nikon SLRs and equipment from two sources. They sou= rce their stuff through legal distributors as well as the do import themsel= ves, many items have two prices and they do explain pitfalls of buying a ch= eaper one. It's nice to have a choice when you understand what you are gett= ing into.

We have that in the US, and for the same products. Here we call it gray market. You don't get a US warranty, but you do get to return defective merchandise, so at least you don't get stuck with a dud. I'm using a gray market lens from Canon that has to be 12 years old. No issues. But you only go gray market if the price difference is significant. I don't think I'd get a camera body gray market. Too many things to go wrong.

Reply to
miso

.

was

lucky, not

just

car

Naw, at operating frequency of 50/60 Hz that is only about 2000 VA.

Reply to
JosephKK

..

that

from two

and the

together with

building

intended

Not that i recommend that inexperienced persons try such, i do not. Just the same, while i recognize the potential problems, i have no=20 unreasoning fear of them. Nor am i such a nanny type as to insist=20 on trying to prevent anyone from doing something odd but useful.

Thus i find you to be quite an obnoxious prunt.

Reply to
JosephKK

any=20

The closest translation i can propose is "cover the whole pot".

Reply to
JosephKK

I think the terms Pott and Deckel are used together in German more like "made for one another" is in Engish. Something like "wie Pott und Deckel" to mean "well-suited for each other." So 'wie' here is more like the English word "as" or "alike" than the denoted translation into "how."

The phase "Pott wie Deckel" then looks to me more like some kind of "all the same as" phrase. So the result is then more like "it is all the same as." As I read it, anyway. And thanks very much, Jörg, for the idiom!

This is the kind of thing I could _never_ produce on my own, lacking experience. But when I _read_ it from someone else like Jörg writing it, I can dredge up some past training about it and seem to gather it. I can read German rather somewhat more fluently than I can produce the darned stuff! I sure wish I had someone local to train with. I wonder if Jörg needs a personal butler for a while! ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

I should have added some English examples that illustrate how Pott and Deckel are, when used in "wie Pott und Deckel":

- like Horse and Carriage - like peas in a pod - hand and glove

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Yep, exactly.

There are many more and which one is used depends on the region. For example, in Bavaria they'd say "gehupft wie gesprungen".

That's the only way to learn it, either in the country or in a group of people where you are sort of forced to speak it and the exposure to other languages is zero for hours at a time. This is how I learned Dutch but now it has degraded to where I can read and understand. Writing has become horrible and speaking usually comes back after 2-3 beers.

No, but a brewmaster :-)

Some day I'll brew again. But tonight we'll first bake bread on the barbecue. Yummy!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

I speak "southern" when I get mad ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

THIS POSTING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ELECTRONICS
WHERE ARE THE THOUGHT POLICE WHEN YOU NEED THEM?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
invalid

An official importer can fight a grey market importer through the copyright on the product name. they can't do much about direct imports though.

Reply to
keithr

"keithratbag "

** Product names are not covered by copyright - you ass !!

Or no-one could ever mention them in print !!!!

Corporate logos are however covered by trade mark law and copyright - but rarely do importers have any legal rights over them.

If they did, they might be tempted to apply them to any products they like.

Been known to happen, many times.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Try opening a business called Apple computers and see how long it takes for a lawyer to appear on your doorstep. Copyright and registered business names have been used to shut down grey importers several times in Australia.

Reply to
keithr

"keithratbag "

** Totally irrelevant to the point -

FUCKWIT !!

** But never once copyright on the PRODUCT NAME !!

FUCKWIT !!

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well then explain how come Apple are suing the crap out of anybody marketing a product with any name resembling iPod?

Reply to
keithr

"keithratbag "

** Not even faintly relevant to the " grey market " issue

Wot a clueless FUCKWIT !!

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison