Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

After 12 months or so of steady decline on prices of the Rigol DS1052E scope
on eBay (and other places), with them being around the US$400 mark or less
for some time now from countless ebay sellers, the price has suddenly jumped
up to US$550 or more from all sellers. There has also been a sudden and
drastic reduction in the number of sellers for this scope.

I've heard that one ebay seller has been acused of "dumping" the scope at
low prices by another seller and has had their listings removed.

and a quote from a cancelled ebay listing:
"We'd like to let you know that eBay has ended an item you were bidding on
for breaching of one or more of our policies. As it's important that eBay
maintains member privacy, we can't tell you exactly why the listing was
removed."

Dealextreme still have them for US$400 though, better get in quick...

Dave.

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

"David L. Jones"

** Bests Rigol prices seem to be from Aussie on-line dealers at the moment:

Example:  A$495 inc delivery

http://purchasenet.com.au/shopping/rigol-ds1052e-digital-storage-oscilloscope-2ch-p-1664.html?osCsid07%dbb53dce6efbc6902

Then there is this similar DSO for A$431 inc delivery:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ATTEN-ADS1062C-60-MHz-2-Channel-Digital-Oscilloscope_W0QQitemZ220524795058QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment?hash=item33584d54b2

So much scope, so little money.....

Might eBay have pulled the plug cos of complaints that Rigol scopes were
sold in a way that avoided local taxes like GST ??

.....  Phil

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

Hope not, because that could end up with large numbers of foreign
listings being canned, and us being screwed.

The infamous "exclusive distribution rights" scam might also be
involved with them being pulled
(if the law here covers such items).

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

My Tek DSO, which granted is a boat anchor, was a bit more than half
the price of that Rigol. I think for a bench scope, I'd just get a
used Tek. If the Rigol offered 12V operation, I'd consider it. I've
been looking at PC "pod" scopes. I'm not convinced a Chinese HP clone
(OK, ODM) is really going to be much better than a Chinese PC scope.

I was thinking of the Bitscope 100u, mostly because it is isolated
from the PC (less hash) and they support Linux. I have a great
distrust of Windows and USB due to driver issues.

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

On a sunny day (Fri, 1 Jan 2010 05:57:24 -0800 (PST)) it happened

That seems to be only 40 meg samples / second.

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

Yes, not a great scope, but I have real bench equipment. I have
nothing 12V portable. The Rigol doesn't buy me anything that I can't
get with a used Tek DSO.  The 40MHz limit would be fine for my
portable purposes.

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

On a sunny day (Fri, 1 Jan 2010 16:44:59 -0800 (PST)) it happened

A 12V to 240V converter that easily powers a scope plus some other stuff,
with a plug that fits the cigatette lighter is only 35 Euro or less here.
 http://www.gelders.org/start.php?voedingen_en_transformatoren_spanningsomvormers_12v-230v.php

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

Those "modified sine" inverters are death to electronics, and
certainly to measurements since they radiate RF hash. A true sine is
substantially more money.

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 13:26:44 -0800 (PST), the renowned " snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com"

Have you actually had them damage anything? I've run chargers for
multiple laptops, cellphones, iPods, etc. as well as solder stations
and other stuff from them without problems, though I do worry. Both
the peak and RMS volages are close enough that it shouldn't bother
electronics (aside from the potential EMC issue).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

'Dumping' doesn't exist on eBay, and they don't remove listings just
because someone lists for less than their competitors.

The only way to find out, is to ask the seller then. But price was not
the issue. It could have been almost anything, but since when eBay
canceles a listing, the entire listing is deleted, there is no way for
anyoneto go back and review it to see why.

As to the slight jump in prices, that's likely just market effects.

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

Someone on my eevblog forum did ask a seller and the rely was:

<quote>
"Hello, Please don't worry, the problem is, an another seller has complaint
by ebay that i'm selling the rigol oscilloscopes at a dumping price"
He then offered to complete the original low price transaction outside of
ebay.

With an almost 40% jump in price and drastic reduction in the number of low
cost sellers, all of it practically overnight, that ain't just market forces
at work. Something has happened.

Dave.

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 08:32:57 +1100, "David L. Jones"

One of the primary reasons they are so attractive is the price. If
they increase too much sales will plummet. There's always another
cheap DSO Owen comes to mind.

Fortunately for us the entry level DSO market is flooded and very
competitive.

They could just be seeing what the market will bear. That can
backfire.

This assumes its even coming from head office or maybe there's a large
conspiracy of distributors to artificially inflate the price ;).

A year ago some gas retailers in Ontario where caught price fixing so
it may not be all that far fetched.

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

David:

Has it occurred to you that this is exactly the kind of story
that an ejected SCAMMER would tell to rope in a few
more suckers to send them money outside
of the aggressive protection of eBay/Paypal?

How would you know if the seller is a SCAMMER or not?

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

Could be, but not my problem, I'm just passing on what was said.
Buyer-beware, as always.
If you are worried then buy from DealExtreme or some other known non-ebay
seller.
Remember, this is not a one-off seller thing, dozens and dozens of
(legitimate) ebay sellers of this scope have suddenly dissapeared. There is
somethign else going on. I have not heard of a single case of anyone being
scammed on a Rigol scope, and I can tell you I get a lot of feedback on this
issue though my blog. Doesn't mean it's safe of course.

Err, not too hard. If the seller has a rep of selling the same gear
previously (ebay and other forum history can show that), and most of the
sellers have suddenly disappeared (presumably) due to ebay pulling their
auctions for some competive(?) reason, then it's more probable than not the
seller is not a scammer, they are just caught up in whatever is happening
here.

Dave.

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

Ebay exists to collect fees. They don't care who is selling the item
as long as they get their cut. I suspect Rigol stopped supplying these
dealers. They have a right not to sell to any dealer they don't like.

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

Podcast:http://www.eevblog.com

Manufacturers *are* able to excert pressure on them somehow. A friend of
mine came home from the USA with 3 new PS3's just after they were
released there. He put them up on ebay, but the listing was removed
since it was "illegal" to sell them.

--

John Devereux

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

2 problems I have had with modified sine wave inverters on electronic
equipment

1. - They won't run my Dewalt cordless drill charger (comes on but
wont put a noticeable charge into the battery),
I think that they use a series capacitor type power supply
(transformerless).

2. - Blew the mains fuse in my ERSA temperature controlled iron (has
50hz transformer).

I see no reason that a pure sine wave unit wouldnt work fine though.

Modified sine wave should work ok with 240v soldering irons (240v
element, no transformer) or switchmode power supplies.  I would
however test these thoroughly before taking into the field.

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

Just use a 1:1 transformer between the inverter and device that
has issues. You'll get a clean enough wave form on the other side to
correct for the issue.

   Also, to a couple of friends of mine having problems trying to run
their auger on the wood stove via an inverter, in case power went out. I
had them use a transformer, because it would trip the inverter every
time the initial start on the motor would take place. This was with a
inverter well capable of driving the little AC motor. Also, putting an
  incandescent lamp across the load helps with reactive type load devices
to reduce the effects on the inverter.

   I don't think the cost of a 1:1 transformer for the troubled unit
would cost as much or more as a sine wave inverter, as long as the
device is lightly loaded. But then again, I you had a lot of devices
that has problems with this, then maybe a sine wave unit is practical,
  price wise.

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

But a 1:1 transformer will probably cost more than the modified square wave
inverter.
(Modified sine wave is a misnomer)

MrT.

Re: Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

Surplus isolation transformers are pretty cheap. I have a 1:1 and
considered using it with a stock modified rather than true sine. But I
figured just screw i. The UPS runs enough gear that it is worth doing
things right. Also, do you really want to put square waves in a
transformer? Won't that heat it up?

I came across a used isolation transformer at Excess Solutions about
two weeks ago. I think it was $20, and it would break your back if you
bought it. When RA Surplus went out of business, a got two big ass
120V to 100V Mitutoyo transformers for operating Japanese gear. So big
I really should have said no. However, the price was stupid cheap.
Anyway, back to back, this wold make an high power isolation
transformer.

Site Timeline