Rigol DS 1052E CRO

From reading earlier posts on this NG I know several have purchased the
Rigol DS 1052E CRO from China. (Happyseeds?)

I would appreciate knowing if you are happy with your purchase and the unit
meets your expectations.

Anyone had any problems with the unit?

Ta!

JERD

Re: Rigol DS 1052E DSO

"JERD"

** You can call it a digital scope, a digital storage scope, a DSO or
several other names.

  But you cannot call it a CRO.

  Cos it ain't one.

...  Phil

Re: Rigol DS 1052E CRO

Yep, that's the guy we bought from.
No problems with him whatsoever. Fast ship with tracking, original box and
accesories etc, even an aussie power cord.

For the price, it exceeded my expectations.

None. Nor would you expect to, Rigol have a very good rep.

Dave.

Re: Rigol DS 1052E CRO

Thanks for that feedback.

I am from the old school and 'bad habbits die hard' ( Nearly 70) as Phil
reminded me, its not a CRO!

JERD

Re: Rigol DS 1052E CRO

Indeed. But you still wouldn't be laughed out of the lab by asking for the
Rigol CRO!

Speaking of the term CRO, does anyone know the history of the acronym CRO?
It's pretty self explanatory of course, but haven't oscilloscopes always
used cathode ray tubes for the display? If so it makes the "CR" part very
much redundant I'd think, and I'm now rather curious as to how and where the
term CRO came into general use.
i.e. Did some of the early manufacturers market them as a "Cathode Ray
Oscilloscope" or just plain "Oscilloscope"?
I know that CRO is very much an Aussie favoured term, with the yanks and
many others prefering just "scope" as the abbreviated name.
Would be interesting to know the history behind this if anyone has any
ideas?

Dave (who lags behind JERD by a good 30 years or so!)
Re: Rigol DS 1052E CRO

Indeed the yanks have interesting speak. Scope is certainly one.
If you asked someone to grab a scope here, you'd end up with a soldering
iron! (Are they still made?)
Say the word CRO to a yank and they look at you strange!

Another is Zee-80 as opposed to Zed-80

Sorry, I'm also (sort of) showing my age!

Ray

Re: Rigol DS 1052E CRO

Dunno, I've always called a CRO a scope. Scope soldering irons were only
ever good for lighting cigarettes.

Yankspeak, in my experience, mainly consists of dropping letters from
words like solder becomes sodder, error becomes err etc.

Re: Rigol DS 1052E CRO

Maybe to distinguish them from the old oscillographs that were used in the
power industry to capture transients. They used fast reponse styluses with a
voltage on them, writing on electrostatically sensitive paper that you then
(IIRC) had to develop.

Re: Rigol DS 1052E CRO

Very happy with it. Fast delivery (about a week) direct from China,
all the accessories, ready to go.

There was only one strange problem, was using it while developing
software
on a microcontroller with it,

At a certain sweep frequency, it refused to show a square wave
that was actually there !

(note, circuit worked, and waveform could be seen on my old Tek Anlaog
CRO.)

 If you changed the sweep frequency 1 step up or down, it appeared
perfectly.

Unfortunately I can't remember the details of the frequency etc.

Re: Rigol DS 1052E CRO

"KR"

Very happy with it. Fast delivery (about a week) direct from China,
all the accessories, ready to go.

There was only one strange problem, was using it while developing
software on a microcontroller with it,

At a certain sweep frequency, it refused to show a square wave
that was actually there !

(note, circuit worked, and waveform could be seen on my old Tek Anlaog
CRO.)

If you changed the sweep frequency 1 step up or down, it appeared
perfectly.

** Gotta love analogue CROs.

 Honest, hard working and never tell lies.

.....    Phil

Re: Rigol DS 1052E CRO

Tip; make sure it doesn't come by DHL. My last package from china sat in
Sydney for five days.

Re: Rigol DS 1052E CRO

This was OK, was EMS - came through the post office.

Re: Rigol DS 1052E CRO

That was what had me head scratching this time. Last time was Aust Post.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Re: Rigol DS 1052E CRO

I get DHL from China regularly, no problems at all.

Dave.