Rigol caught with their pants down! (DS1052E Oscilloscope) - Page 3

Re: Rigol caught with their pants down! (DS1052E Oscilloscope)

We've had stuff put onto reels.  There are companies that do this.  I
doubt it would be worth it for capacitors, but maybe.  My bet is that
it was the manufacturer doing the binning.

Re: Rigol caught with their pants down! (DS1052E Oscilloscope)

[...]

Yes, I am sure it was the mfg. Profit maximization :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Rigol caught with their pants down! (DS1052E Oscilloscope)

That is their right of course.
Selecting parts for a higher priced close tolerance sales line is hardly
anything new. As long as some people are prepared to pay for the extra cost
of testing, and as long as all items meet their respective specification
claims, then surely there is no problem. If some people are then unable to
get higher spec at the cheaper price, that is just their bad luck surely?

MrT.

Re: Rigol caught with their pants down! (DS1052E Oscilloscope)

Yep, and I told them this was going to happen one fine day. So they had
to find another brand with non-notched Gaussian.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Rigol caught with their pants down! (DS1052E Oscilloscope)

I've never been caught with any over-spec parts I've used in the past. It's
always something else in the design that goes the way of the do-do. And of
course it's always the seemingly most innocuous part.

Dave.
Re: Rigol caught with their pants down! (DS1052E Oscilloscope)

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:48:51 -0700, "Joel Koltner"

Siemens used to make the CLY5 power mesfet. It was rated for about 9
volts or something but was good to 22 or so. They discontinued it and
TriQuint started making them, with a different process. The new ones
die hard at 15 volts. Luckily, the product that we used it on never
got beyond shipping a couple of prototypes.

Optek keeps changing their laser diodes, so you can't count on their
typical performance.

But in general we haven't had much trouble. EOL'd regular parts are a
bigger hassle because there are so many more "regular"-use parts in a
product.

We do test parts to destruction to see what sorts of margins we have.
Some parts don't even survive their datasheet abs max ratings.

John

Site Timeline