RF coil dope

Here's a quick one. What do you use to secure the wire of HF inductors,
whether wound on cylindrical formers or on iron powder toroids. I have
googled the topic and read lots of the hits. Polystyrene dissolved in
acetone, toluene or xylene seems to be popular.

In the past I have used tarzans grip, nail varnish, genuine shellac made of
flakes in methylated spirit, model aircraft styrene cement and PCB conformal
coating from s spraycan. The PCB coating was neat and easy to apply but I
wonder about its dialectric properties at radio frequencies. I'd think it
would be fine but I've thought wrong before. Americans favour Duco cement
but that brand-name of solvent based nitrocellulose glue seems not to exist
in Oz.
I have just tried dissolving foam cups in acetone but only produced a white
mass that was not very adhesive. Maybe my cups aren't really polystyrene.

So what's a good coil dope, preferably available off the shelf in Australia?
PH

Re: RF coil dope
Peter Howard Inscribed thus:

I've used clear nail varnish for years, even at 10ghz on copper and
brass, where i've used it to stop tarnishing.

--
Best Regards:
                        Baron.

Re: RF coil dope

Dissolved polystyrene contains styrene monomer, which is dangerous, c.f.
wikipedia:

"Styrene is largely metabolized into styrene oxide in humans, resulting
from oxidation by cytochrome P450. Styrene oxide is considered toxic,
mutagenic, and possibly carcinogenic"

Care!

Site Timeline