Reverse switching relay

Hi

I am seeking a reverse switching relay so that when the first circuit
is switched on, it switches another circuit off? Also when the first
circuit is switched off, the other circuit is switched on. I am
thinking of using it with 12 volts.

Do you know a suitable relay? I plan to order from Electus Distribution
so it would be appreciated if you could find a catalogue number of the
relay. You can simply go to http://www1.electusdistribution.com.au/ and
use the search function.

Your help is appreciated,
Regards Richard.

Re: Reverse switching relay

There is far too little information in your question for anybody to
advise you.
There are many many relays all with different characteristics which will
influence which one YOU need to select.
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

Re: Reverse switching relay

Hi

Thanks for your letter.

I am trying to make a rain sensor that will sound a buzzer and turn on
a heater when it rains. It would be very useful to warn us when to shut
windows or take items out of the rain. We get a lot of light drizzle
here that is hard to see.

I am thinking of making up the circuit at
http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/science/015 /
However, it would also be good to make the circuit so that when a
setting is selected it would buzz when the rain stops so that any
moisture sensitive equipment can be carried outside.

There are some other circuits at
http://www.wenzel.com/pdffiles/rainsens.pdf
and http://www.technologystudent.com/elec1/relay2.htm

Do you think Electus Distribution at to
http://www1.electusdistribution.com.au/ would have what I want and if
so, do you know the catalogue numbers? I plan to make an order this
afternoon.

Someone suggested a relay labeled DPDT but there are a few of them.

A heater would also be needed to dry the sensor out so that it will
reset quickly. I made one that is about 70 watts.

Your help is appreciated,
Regards Richard.

Re: Reverse switching relay

Take a good close look at the third of those circuits. It shows a
relay with "changeover" contacts - also known as SPDT. That can do
what you said you needed.

Somewhere you said you have a 70 watt heater (sounds extreme to me,
but hey, it's not my heater) and somewhere else you said you are using
12V so that is about 6 amps. So you need a SPDT relay that can switch
at least 6A - if you can't get that, DPDT is OK too. That third
circuit does not mention supply voltage, but the relay coil would need
to suit whatever you use (12V sounds reasonable to me, but hey, it's
not my circuit).

If you can't find a suitable relay in the Electus catalogue, try
looking under "Clue" as it sounds like you need to get one.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Reverse switching relay

 Yes, certainly! You can simply go to http://www1.electusdistribution.com.au/
and use the search function.

 You're most welcome. I hope this helps.

GB
--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

Re: Reverse switching relay

standard automobile horn relay. (typically good for DC loads upto 30A)

or for low-power devices any SPDT or DPDT relay with 12V coil.

could find a catalogue number of the

Jaycar has it as catalogue number SY4070

dunno if they use electus numbers or not.

Bye.
   Jasen

Site Timeline