reverse cycle air conditioning heating is more efficient?? - Page 4

Re: reverse cycle air conditioning heating is more efficient??

Along the same lines... is the heat exchanger of reverse cycle more
efficient than standard "blow air over a gas heaterl" central heating?

(And for that matter why are the central heating inlets at floor level
rather than towards the ceiling where the hot air would be?)

Re: reverse cycle air conditioning heating is more efficient??

**Of course, but the cost of gas heating may well work out lower. Or not.

**Inlets? Do they have inlets (We Sydney-ites don't have central heating)?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: reverse cycle air conditioning heating is more efficient??

The short answer is yes. Reverse cycle air conditioning is a cheaper form of
heating than gas - it uses less energy to produce the same amount of heat
inside, as you are effectively "stealing" heat from outside and transferring
it inside - even when it's cold outside.

Since heat rises, you get better temperature distribution in a room by
feeding in warm air from the bottom. If you fed it in from the roof, you'd
get a hot head when you were standing, but would feel cold while sitting
down.

Similarly, ducted cooling systems are best installed with the registers
mounted in the ceiling.

Re: reverse cycle air conditioning heating is more efficient??

I meant the recirculating inlet, where air is sucked in before being
heated and blasted out into each room. In every house I've seen it is
near floor level, regardless of whether the outlets are inside the
floor or on the ceiling.

(Side note... I'd happily take a 5 or 10% efficiency hit just to have
some fresh air drawn in occasionally!)

Re: reverse cycle air conditioning heating is more efficient??

Which of course many systems do with an outside air inlet. Some allow you to
adjust the ratio with a sliding cover. It is simple enough to make a similar
inlet for any ducted system. Or simply remove the draft excluders from you
entrance doors :-)

MrT.

Re: reverse cycle air conditioning heating is more efficient??

We have one of those new fangled units that sits inside the roof. The
last time I saw it was just before the plasterboard went on. ;) Outlets
are in the ceiling as well, since the floor is concrete.

Perhaps I just need to run some ducting from the outside door, across
the dining room floor, and into the inlet. ;)

Re: reverse cycle air conditioning heating is more efficient??

Which of course many systems do with an outside air inlet. Some allow you to
adjust the ratio with a sliding cover. It is simple enough to make a similar
inlet for any ducted system. Or simply remove the draft excluders from you
entrance doors :-)

MrT.

Re: reverse cycle air conditioning heating is more efficient??

Heat pump takes heat from outside and carries it inside.

Heater manufactures new heat.

Carrying heat uses less electricity for same heat output.

by some definition the blow heater may be more efficient, but the heat pump
produces more indoor heat for the same energy input.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Site Timeline