Retailers call for GST on overseas sales - Page 2

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

 The retailers can get screwed.

 I routinely bring in gear WITH GST paid from overseas that is cheaper
than buying it locally.
 Sometimes obscenely cheaper.  No really, I'm talking upwards of many
hundreds of dollars and I have to really wonder who is keeping it all.

 If the retailers think GST on overseas purchases applied globally will
encourage local purchases, well, good luck with that.

 If they want to play that game, bring it on.
--
Ninety per cent of everything is crap.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales
On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 21:46:18 +1100, John Tserkezis

Usually the wholesalers - importers.

Most retailers don't import themselves.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

They only pay excise and a camera for instance has no excise and the GST
is paid by the end buyer.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

Actually GST is paid at every point of sale.

However for example if an importer (who also pays GST) pays $10-00
GST, and then gets $15-00 GST on selling the item; only remits the
extra $5-00 to the government.

And so on up the food chain.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

Does customs charge/collect GST on everything that comes in?

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 00:10:01 +1100, terryc

On all commercial transactions, unless the item fits into a rare
category of GST free items.

(Maybe not so rare, as I am not sure what is GST free).

The importer can defer the GST payment for 30 days.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

paid by the end buyer.

Nope, not on stuff thats worth less than $1K and even with stuff thats
worth  more than that, it doesnt get charged on every transaction,
particularly when the seller understates its value and quite a few do.

I even had one send the label off the item separately and say it was
close to worthless when it wasnt, and was in a sealed metal container
where no customs shinybum would have a clue what it actually was.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

I have found that particularly from asian sellers, they mark the value
very low, or
put gift/commercial sample,

In reality, there is probably no need, as the items are worth nowhere
near $1000, but
that is not to say that other countries dont have a lower limit.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

Yep.

Yep, and some countrys dont have any limit at all.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

Nope. There has never been any legal obligation for an importer of a product
to do any warranty work on what has been imported by someone else.

Nope.

Nope, the price differences are due to other effects entirely.

They dont 'represent' anyone, they just import the products of that manufacturer.

yesterday's world

Nope, yours is.

You havent.

No global markets work like that.

Pure fantasy.

In the real world, its just binned and they buy another.

And they do that with branded products that has no local repair possibility too.

Its just as true of branded products that have no local repair possibility too.

And plenty do that with stuff where the price isnt
dramatically cheaper too like with hard drives.

And plenty more stick with HP and Tek.

And plenty more dont, like with hard drives, cpus, etc etc etc.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales
Just looking for a reasonable spl meter , ebay $50 plus freight
local company same thing $495.00 (same meter)
  one might be a copy but like a lot of stuff it's an odd price
differential

--

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

Enormous difference.

Err ... what is an "spl meter"?

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

 It may or may not be.  I used to work for an acoustic engineering shop,
and we had *real* trouble finding a cheaper AS1259 Type 2 meter.  Our
client's choice was either the Type 1 loggers we made (~$7K), or a
Japanese Rolls Royce branded hand held meters.  Nice but really pricey
(From memory, started around $1K or so).

 They were asking for lower priced Type 2 meters because they really
didn't need any fancy features, as long as it was compliant, and were
reluctant to spend ~$1K each.

 We couldn't find any.  Closest we came to, was two el-cheapo meters,
both same brand and model, one passed AS1259 Type 2, the other failed.

 Many are asking for Type 1 specs, type 2 as a minimum.  We speculated
these meters would pass type 3 (repeatedly), but no-one asks for it, and
the courts won't take anything less than type 2, so we weren't geared up
to test for it anyway.
 So basically, these meters were good as "toys" as far as we and our
clients were concerned.

 Going on your prices above, I might be able to speculate that WAS
indeed a $50 meter with
~$400 tagged on for the calibration test and certificate.
 Which might be a plausible explanation to the price difference, but,
going on past experience, I'm not buying the idea that a ~$50 meter is
going to pass type 2.  The ones we looked at were ~$300 eBay specials
(well, at the time several years ago), and they failed.
 And that's assuming they're only marking up ~$50, which I'm not buying
either.

 If you don't really care for compliance and just want it for indication
only, you need to be wary that "indication only" is as good as the human
ear.
 That is, if you're looking at a noise complaint, as far as the courts
are concerned, that meter is as good as "I think it sounds too bloody
loud".  In other words, it doesn't count.

 If it isn't going to be used for any legal compliance, then I could be
warranted in asking *why* anyone really needs a number attached to a
noise, especially when that number can't actually be used for anything
(useful) anyway. (not that I can think of anyway).
--
Peanuts: The Drinking Man's Filter.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

Obviously you don't set up sound systems where a relative measurement is all
that's required then. Legal traceability is not required to simply check
sound levels at various locations are similar for example. Most cheap meters
are at least fairly repeatable, even if the measurement uncertainty is
unknown!

MrT.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

STRUGGLING retailers want to spoil consumers' post-GFC party and put a tax
on overseas spending.

With new research showing half of all Australians now shop online overseas,
retailers have approached the Federal
Government to wind back the GST threshold on overseas goods from $1000 to
$400 or even abolish the limit altogether.

<snip>

I've saved a fortune buying online and OS. The differences in local and OS
prices is just incredible. Shows how much we get gouged. Fuck the retailers.
They can compete like the rest do out there too. Online.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

You will note that the retailers/importers have not passed on that
saving so what do they expect.

Site Timeline