Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

STRUGGLING retailers want to spoil consumers' post-GFC party and put a tax on
overseas spending.

With new research showing half of all Australians now shop online overseas,
retailers have approached the Federal
Government to wind back the GST threshold on overseas goods from $1000 to $400
or even abolish the limit altogether.

Their latest push will target independents holding the balance of power in
Federal Parliament, the Courier-Mail reports.

http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

And read the 400+ comments that have been posted already:
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

If it wasn't for the net we'd be paying even more in shops for many
items.

Retailers have been forced to peg their prices to compete with the net.

I doubt it would be cost effectiive for the Govt to examine and
determine tax on every small item that comes into the country - hence
the existing structure.  Then again I've sold stuff to Germany and they
do it.

Lets see what these red hot independents can fathom out - I just hope
they buy stuff off the net.

--

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

Retailers want it all there own way. They don't pass on the margins of
the improved AUD. Maybe there needs to be another stimulus package to
prop up the retailers.

One instance is printer inks Epson cartridges at $350 ea - US price $250
or HK $250 freight is cheaper from HK.

Another example is cameras (one particular Digital SLR) Australian
wholesaler RRP $4800 inc GST street price $3600 online Aust shop $2300.

Who's fooling who????

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

Yep, same thing with glow plugs I just ordered for my diesel ute engine.

Genuine part $37 each
Motormate Aust - Bosch  $22 each
UK Ebay shop - Denso $11 each (delivered to your door).

They are all basically the same and the genuine part is actually Bosch.

You need 4 so the savings are substantial.

So who's making all the money and crying poor?

Bloody rip off merchants.

--

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales
add all the govco impost which basically double the cost here is still

--

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

"Rob"

** Fraid it is importers that set the prices for such goods  -  not
retailers  - and they set each price at what will give them the best return
under local conditions of competition.

Overseas markets may have more or less competition than here an sometimes
prices vary wildly as a result.

....  Phil

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

**In almost all cases, it is the importer who cops the lion's share of
currency shift profits. Retail, in general, is a very low profit business.
Naturally, there are standouts, but, in the main, they are products whose
retail prices are tightly (and possibly illegally) controlled.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

Just take a look at the stuff we all buy on this group - electronic
components.
(Note, not taking a swipe at Dontronics or anyone else on here)

Compare Mouser etc to Farnell/RS/ etc for the same items.

Some of the stuff isn't greatly different like common IC's in bulk,
but for other items
there can be huge differences.

I could mention several times personally with purchasing device
programmers etc, there is a world of difference in price.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

Sounds fair enough to me except that it won't work because the sellers
always value the item at $2 for customs.

It's good to see the retailers squirm, they quite often make more profit
than the manufacturers per item yet provide little value (surely
actually making something should be valued higher than simply selling it).

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

Tell us about Woolworths and the farmers then!

How come you can buy overseas for less from a retailer and pay their tax
(sales/state etc).

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

You normally dont pay their sales/state taxes, those arent usually charged on
exports.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
exports.

Just expanding on what I said -
If your overseas and buying items from shop fronts and paying sales and
state tax the price is still cheaper to start with than here.  Thats a
full retail sale.

As an example ASICS GEL-Kayano Running Shoe  $140USD  here $260AUD both
these prices include all taxes in the respective countries.  Not quoting
them as a exported/imported item.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

on overseas spending.

Federal Parliament, the Courier-Mail

http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

always value the item at $2 for customs.

(sales/state etc).

exports.

tax the price is still cheaper to start

Like I said, you normally dont pay their sales/state taxes, those arent usually
charged on exports.

Like I said, you normally dont pay their sales/state taxes, those arent usually
charged on exports.

prices include all taxes in the

Not with exported or out of state sales they arent.

It has to be exported/imported to 'buy from overseas'

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales
tax on overseas spending.
in Federal Parliament, the Courier-Mail
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
always value the item at $2 for customs.
(sales/state etc).
on exports.
tax the price is still cheaper to start
usually charged on exports.
usually charged on exports.
prices include all taxes in the

Thats correct

I'm quoting physically buying overseas.  As in travel to another country
and buying from a shop front paying local and state taxes.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

tax on overseas spending.

overseas, retailers have approached the
$1000 to $400 or

http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

always value the item at $2 for customs.

(sales/state etc).

on exports.

usually charged on exports.

usually charged on exports.

With some like the US, their sales/state taxes are substantially less than our
GST etc even with that type of sale.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

Sad maybe, but the most cursory look at human commerce through the ages
shows that that often isn't the case. People in the middle of the
distribution chain tend to do better, and sometimes for lesser effort. One
factor might be that they are primarily focussed on making dough, instead of
building a wonderful widget.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
There is a good deal of inequity in prices
  I needed some batteries 18dcb2 for a cordless . local price is $165 each
Importing from the US I bought two delivered for $145.00 to my door from
the manufacturer
wtf ?

--

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

value the item at $2 for customs.

Customs doesnt have to accept that valuation.

actually making something should be valued

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/story-e6frfm1i-1225945906001
http://www.news.com.au/business/retailers-call-for-gst-on-overseas-sales/comments-e6frfm1i-1225945906001

And often the service you recieve in Australia is pisspoor as well, so we
can't be paying extra for that.

Re: Retailers call for GST on overseas sales

possibly measured relative to the average wage?

--
ɹǝpun uʍop ɯoɹɟ sƃuıʇǝǝɹ⅁

Site Timeline