Replacing NiCd batteries in an obsolete Uniden UH-052XR radio?

This is the one,

Although it's 10 years old it works OK and is built like a tank which is why I would like to replace the long expired detachable NiCad battery pack which is no longer available as a spare part (model BP-052).

The problem is that the battery pack is also built like a tank and there is no obvious way of pulling it apart. There are no screws, glue or weld lines. Has anyone tried surgery on one of these? There's no heavy or light end so I don't know where to start.

The original battery spec was 7.2v, 950mAh. There's a captive attachment screw that runs through the middle of the pack from bottom to top slightly offset to one side, so I'm assuming that it fits in the gap between 4 of the 6 (?) batteries arranged vertically inside.

Mike

Reply to
c14

"c14"

** Means there are 6 AA " high capacity" cells inside.

WES may have some Sanyo KR900 cells available - but they will be old stock.

Replacement with NiMHs is the way to go - capacity will then be 2000mAh or more - check the old cells for height, it may be critical to get replacements that are no taller.

** Cut the damn thing open round the middle - use a hack saw if necessary. Bind it back together with some 3M Strapping Tape - like normal tape but thicker and with fibreglass strands.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

There may be a battery place near you that can repack it.

==========

Reply to
Barry OGrady

If you replace with NiMh there's a couple of things to watch out for.

If its a high current draw application most older NiMh will get hot under load - so the energy is expended heating the cells instead of powering the device, this will be abundantly aparent when cells with twice the rated Ah capacity only run for 1/3 as long as NiCd cells did.

Check whether the original charger has dV charge control - the dip in terminal voltage on a NiMh cell at charge full is more subtle than on NiCd, most automatic NiCd chargers won't detect the full charge dV point of NiMh and so cook the cells.

Reply to
Ian Field

"Ian Field"

** Huh - how is the OP ever likely to install old MiNH cells ???

We know what the app is (see heading) and the drain is not high for NiMHs.

** Almost guaranteed to be a slow ( ie 8 hour or more) charger that tapers off as the battery voltage rises.

Probably start at about 150mA and drop to 65mA.

Perfectly OK with NiMH - as the nominal 20 hour rate with 2000mAh cells is 100mA.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sorry for bumping this old thing but was there any ever way of getting it open? I don't really want to bring a hack saw to my device...

Kind Regards, Will.

Reply to
William Downing

I'd also love to know. I see there are a crew in SA that will do it for you, but at a cost of almost 100 bucks. Yikes.

Reply to
Andrew Ford