Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

I have recently purchased a new laptop computer. I intend to use the
computer mainly as a desktop computer so it will usually be connected
to AC power. The manual states "Do not use your computer without
installing the battery pack as it may cause the computer to
malfunction"
<http://support.sony-asia.com.edgesuite.net/consumer/IM/VPCZ12UGIE.pdf .
However, the salesman in the Sony store advised me to remove the
battery for desktop use because it would extend the life of the
battery.

Why might removing the battery cause the computer to malfunction?
Would removing it extend the life of the battery?

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?
Occasionally you should run the lappy taking the battery no near flat to
avoid images other than that leave it in

--

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

Usually not, but with Sony it's anybody's guess.

If you let it stay flat for any length of time it might not accept a charge
at all. The optimum charge is considered to be 40% for maximum life, but
that's hard to maintain due to self discharge.

MrT.

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?
Leave the battery in, for the non electrical personages, it acts like a
buffer and stops overvoltage and spikes spikes and things which might
dammage computer

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

 Not even close.
 I was going to explain why, but I figured because of your spelling and
grammatical errors, you're not going to understand anyway.
--
Have an adequate day.

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

Don't need to explain to me, If you want to give long winded technical
explanations to others feel free. ( also one too many Ms  and one too
many spikes is neither here nor there)

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

No long winded technical reply, just that my employer uses standard
laptops as consoles in it's products, there are 25000+ out there working
just fine without batteries.

If you want maximum battery life remove the battery when it is fully
charged, put it back in the laptop once a month, and run it down, then
recharge it and remove it again.

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

No need to run it down for a NiMH battery, deep discharge is not recommended
like with NiCd. Give it a half charge every month if you can manage it. For
most people the extra trouble is worth more than the cost of the battery
though.
I have a 4 YO laptop that is hardly ever used on batteries. The battery has
never been removed, is allowed to charge every time I use the laptop, and it
still works fine. IF I had taken it out and forgotten about it, it's almost
certain it would not charge any more.

MrT.

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

My experience is that if you leave a laptop battery in while the laptop
is constantly on external power, the battery life will degrade. The
first battery in my work Dell laptop which is kept permanently in a
docking station degraded to less than 30 minutes after 3 years use.

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

You're not alone. I use a dell laptop at work, and have a Lenovo at home. I
leave the battery in with both, and mostly keep them fully charged. The dell
battery capacity degrades hugely over a few years, whereas the Lenovo stays
pretty good. Others using the dells have the same experience. I wonder
whether marginal batteries - old stock or marginal on test - are supplied in
corporate deals.

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

dell
stays
in

I imagine it's just an inferior quality battery from the cheapest supplier
Dell can find. Still it could be worse, could be one of those that catch
fire! :-)

MrT.

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

Apart from grammatical and spelling flames being unworthy  and insipid
you should remember some of the most intelligent and productive people
through out history were unable to spell wonderfully many being mildly
dyslexic or subject to other problems

--

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?
  Also he is depriving the original poster of his vast wealth of

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?
F Murtz Inscribed thus:

No he's just trolling !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

The sarcasm should be obvious in this case I would have thought.

MrT.

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?
Don't need to explain to me, If you want to give long winded technical
explanations to others feel free. ( also one too many Ms  and one too
many spikes is neither here nor there)

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

The answer is, "It depends."
I haven't seem anything other than lithium-ion technology batteries in new
laptops for some years. These don't much like being kept fully charged or
fully discharged. Some laptop brands, such as most Lenovo Thinkpads, have
smart battery management that you can configure for your intended use
pattern. For a machine that is rarely used on battery, you can configure it
to not start charging until the battery has dropped below a given charge
level (say 90%) and stop before it reaches full charge (say 95%).

If you can't set your laptop to do that, then it's probably best to remove
the battery if you're not using it. Insert it and let it charge fully once
every 3 months or so. Lithium batteries usually retain their charge fairly
well when not installed.

As for damage to the laptop, they are designed to work correctly off the
supplied AC adapter with or without the battery. The charging circuit
actually disconnects the battery when it reaches full charge. The battery is
only connected to drive the laptop if the voltage from the AC adapter drops
too low to operate the system. The main danger of having no battery is a
momentary mains power failure causing the machine to reboot, just like a
desktop system.
--
Don Hills    (dmhills at attglobaldotnet)     Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

Thanks to all those who responded to this.

It seems that my best option is to leave the battery in because, as
Don Hills pointed out, it provides a UPS at the (small?) expense of
battery life. It also prevents a quarrel with Sony in case, as Mr.T
suggests, there is something weird with a Sony laptop and they do not
honour their guarantee because I left the battery out.

Given that the battery is in, is there some routine for unplugging the
mains power that would extend the battery life? The laptop does not
provide any way of controlling the maximum battery charge.

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?
David Segall Inscribed thus:

Actually the battery pack has its own microprocessor built in and that
takes care of any needs that the battery pack may have !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Re: Remove laptop battery for desktop use?

I recently decided that notebooks have become so cheap, that it is getting
harder to buy a box that has the same specs
as a notebook at a similar price these days. The core i7 really screams along,
and suits me fine.

There are some pluses and minuses.
screaming i7s get hot and use heaps of power, so they have a short operating
time range.

As I don't use them mobile, power doesn't matter. I run them with an external
keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I decided to
leave the lids open by about an inch, (plastic box spacer) so that the fan(s)
drag some air from around the keyboard keys.

I no longer need a UPS. I simply set the power parameters to switch them off
after running on battery for 15 minutes. If
I have to buy new batteries during the life cycle of the units, so what!

I will probably find that technology will shift me into new units, before the
batteries give up.

Here is the output of a little 7" Asus EEE PC that has been running for a couple
of years as a webcam server, as well as
running other security and weather applications.
http://www.dontronics.com/webcam

Only time it locks up is when the shareware webcam software goes bananas, and it
needs to be re-run.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie