Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

Hi I have a Panasonic Plasma TV, a DVD Recorder, and DVD Player.
Everything has worked fine, but tonight my remote controls failed to work.
At first I thought is was the batteries, but still not working.
Then I realized that no remote controls were working, TV-DVD-DVD Recorder.

Feels like some interference in our apartment or something ??
Anyone know what may be causing this ?
Any help much appreciated.

Cheers, Zach

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

Welcome to the Twilight Zone. :P

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

  If they all went at the same time, it's something environmental within the
room (or shining through windows).  Not likely to be equipment fault, as
you've had several failures all at the same time (and the chance of that
happening is quite slim).

  Have you installed a compact fluorescent light in the same room?
  You can't see it (the human eye slows things down too far) but they flash,
or at least pulsate bright enough, and at a frequency that swamps the IR
receivers of all your boxes.
  In effect, your TV, VCR etc are 'blinded' by the light.
  Yes, yes, I've read that some people have not been affected by this, but
they're special cases, and just plain lucky.

  Another option is that while the IR receivers are reasonably good at
filtering out ambient light, they're not infallible.  Have you removed
curtains and are having bright sun shine on the boxes?
  This is a less likely possibility, but you don't mention what changes were
made.

  If not either of those, under what conditions does it fail?
  Sunlight or night or both?
  Lights on or off or both?
  What other changes where made within the room (even windows or curtains) in
the day of the failure?

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

Go to google type in
how to test a remote

$B$I$N$G$O$
Results 1 - 10 of about 144,000,000 for how to test a remote. (0.21 seconds)

how about #1

MacGyver Tip: Test your remote's batteries with a digital camera ...
Another way to test a funky remote is to use an AM radio. Just tune the
radio to a station full of static, point the remote at the antenna and press
the ...
lifehacker.com/software/macgyver-tip/test-your-remotes-batteries-with-a-digi
tal-camera-280431.php - 46k - Cached - Similar pages

http://lifehacker.com/software/macgyver-tip/test-your-remotes-batteries-with
-a-digital-camera-280431.php

as they say "enjoy"

Hi I have a Panasonic Plasma TV, a DVD Recorder, and DVD Player.
Everything has worked fine, but tonight my remote controls failed to work.
At first I thought is was the batteries, but still not working.
Then I realized that no remote controls were working, TV-DVD-DVD Recorder.

Feels like some interference in our apartment or something ??
Anyone know what may be causing this ?
Any help much appreciated.

Cheers, Zach

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

BYE the way some if you save the picture of the "violet dot" from the web
site.

and apply gamma correction of 2 you can see a bloody lot more than a some
dot,
I used http://www.irfanview.net/ Current version: 4.00 ,  Bob Parker once
told us about.

looks to me as if the picture come from a country that uses 115 Volts mains
supply.

way is it not a lot of people know about gamma correction on electronic
photos

[...]

Twice I have repaired mine by replacing the ceramic crystal on the
circuit board on the remote. If you drop it, the crystal breaks because
it's very fragile. Open up the remote, replace the little square thing
with two leads and try it out. The crystals are a fairly standard
frequency and cost about a dollar. Test it by putting it near an off
tuned AM radio and you should hear funny noises as you press the button.
Try a the radio trick with a working remote so you know what to expect.

Dorfus

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

post the answer on top if you want me to read

maybe it is not worth reading, I am not wasting my life scrolling down

seconds)
press
lifehacker.com/software/macgyver-tip/test-your-remotes-batteries-with-a-digi
http://lifehacker.com/software/macgyver-tip/test-your-remotes-batteries-with

Twice I have repaired mine by replacing the ceramic crystal on the
circuit board on the remote. If you drop it, the crystal breaks because
it's very fragile. Open up the remote, replace the little square thing
with two leads and try it out. The crystals are a fairly standard
frequency and cost about a dollar. Test it by putting it near an off
tuned AM radio and you should hear funny noises as you press the button.
Try a the radio trick with a working remote so you know what to expect.

Dorfus

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

Chuck out those CFLs you just put in.

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

Whats CFL's ???, anyway very wierd I went down this morning, and still the
same.
I moved my TV Stand forward to checkout behind tyhe mess of wires and stuff,
and suddenly everything started working again.
Very wierd, I still wonder what may have caused this.
My wife just told me that she has had this problem before, but just short
times.

I live in an apartment, could it have been something in my nextdoor
neighbours unit causing this ???
But anyway just again what are CFL's ?? as if I have them i will get rid of
them.

Thanks kindly.

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

Hide all of the remotes (block the beam from them) and then try operate one
at a time.

Rudolf

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

stage fright.......   ; )

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

Compact Florescent Lights :-)

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

did you place something infront of all your appliances?
did you install a new CFL
did you change / add / move something before all your remotes died?

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

   If the Japanese made them, they would be SCFL. ;-)

prove it.
Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

It could be that one of your remotes is working continuously, possibly
due to a button stuck down, and that is interfering with all the IR
receivers in the room.

Just my thoughts.

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

"Zach"

**  Loss of AC power to the items will mean that nothing works.

     Even  remotes.

.......   Phil

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

*$* If the AC power is lost, how come his computer still works so he can
make a posting here

....... Frank

"Zach"

**  Loss of AC power to the items will mean that nothing works.

     Even  remotes.

.......   Phil

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

**  Lost only to the AV gear  -

 you steaming great  Kiwi   FUCKWIT  !!!

.....  Phil

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

your English goes to the dogs when you loose a argument mate

**  Lost only to the AV gear  -

 you steaming great  Kiwi   FUCKWIT  !!!

.....  Phil

Re: Remote Controls not working ( Help Please )

your English goes to the dogs when you loose a argument mate

****Er,so does yours,from both a grammar and spelling viewpoint!!

Brian G.

Site Timeline