Remember THIS Post ? - Page 2

Re: Phil the Idiot Savant

indeed it does; I assumed Phil meant down one wire.

And you have hit upon the secret to PCB layout:

"Current Flows In Loops - Minimise Them"

Cheers
Terry

Re: Phil the Idiot Savant

This is the crux of what I referring to.  For mass market CFL products the
physical size of the components needed to make an effective passive VAR
filter are too big and too expensive (relative to size and cost of CFL
products).  Active PFC is readily available for switch-mode supplies and
small integrated PFC & regulator devices are in development (maybe even
available now) for CFL and standard FL ballasts.

Re: Phil the Idiot Savant

"Dave"  ??????????   The  IDIOT

 **  PFC  ICs exist for CFL ballasts.

 But as no regulation makes the Chinese use them,   they wont.

.......  Phil

Re: Phil the Idiot Savant

 >>>What about all that stuff he wrote about CLs not being reactive?
How can
 >>>the CL have "poor PF" and yet not be reactive?  Forgive me but I'm just
 >>>another ASD c*nt.  ;-)
 >>
 >>harmonics.
 >>
 >>and passive PF correction works just fine - they are called harmonic
traps
 >>(or filters). of course you wont fit any such passive harmonic/VAR
 >>compensating stuff inside a CFL.....
 >
 >
 > This is the crux of what I referring to.  For mass market CFL
products the
 > physical size of the components needed to make an effective passive VAR
 > filter are too big and too expensive (relative to size and cost of CFL
 > products).  Active PFC is readily available for switch-mode supplies and
 > small integrated PFC & regulator devices are in development (maybe even
 > available now) for CFL and standard FL ballasts.

the chinese will make whatever is asked of them. We the consumer could
immediately force the use of PFC CFLs, by refusing to buy non-PFC CFLs
(and telling the supplier why we wont buy them). But of course we
wont....consumers will buy whichever is cheapest.

I'm doing a PFC design for an electronic lamp now (not CFL). not for
unity power factor (although its required), but for maximum efficiency ;)

Cheers
Terry

Re: Phil the Idiot Savant

     Haven't you seen the current waveforms on that site Phil mentioned,
and understand the implications of CFLs pulling current only on the
peaks of the mains voltage?
     Or am I remembering the theory wrongly....?

Bob

Nobody asked any kiwi anything

"Bob Parker"

** The lambs must be teething.

.....   Phil

Re: Nobody asked any kiwi anything

DST. and waiting for SPICE to finish a long simulation.

LOL!

Thats much, much better.

Cheers
Terry

Re: Nobody asked the australopith

Just filter him out as most of us do.   I only see him when someone
copies his drivel in a reply.

Site Timeline