Relay/Contactor Power

I have a 24Vdv contactor thats only 6W to hold, but 200W average to close, with a close time of about 30mS.

What power supply would be suitable?

I find that most 240VAC->24VDC swithmode din supplies mention absolutely nothing about rush currents they can sustain nor for how long. Some of them give fast blow fuse ratings if you're lucky.

Usually what would you expect a switchmode supply to be able to burst and for how long?

Reply to
Myforwik

"Myforwik"

** Errr - one rated at 8 amps ?

** You can only rely on the rated figure.

Near instant current limiting comes into action above that.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Have you considered using a large capacitor to provide the inrush current? That way the PSU only has to deliver the holding current. I do this with solenoids, it works fine.

Reply to
Bruce Varley