Relay contact ratings. - Page 8

Re: Relay contact ratings.

The chest freezer works better--the insulation's thicker.  I might do
one one day.  Or not.

Turning an upright fridge sideways would be a lot more work--orienting
the coils, for one thing.  You could just strap some 4" foam
insulation board on a standard fridge--that's damn ugly, but it's
green :-)  I think I just qualified for a green subsidy.  Or a DOE
grant.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: Relay contact ratings.
links:http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/rev28_2/text/fri.htmhttp://www.or ......

Refrigeration systems generally rely on gravity to avoid trying to
compress liquid, which is somewhat more difficult to do.  Running one on
its side is not guaranteed to work.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I think it's guaranteed not to work unless you rotate everything,
which is what I meant to insinuate.  If convection-cooled, there's
also the problem of convection cooling not performing as designed --
it won't "draw."

More to the point, besides having to bend to the floor to get your
stuff, a sideways-refrigerator's contents (and cold air load) dumps
onto the floor every time you open the door.  And, the contents would
be ready to spill, since all the shelves would be sideways too.  You'd
have to put it on its back, which has even more problems.

The chest freezer's compressor is oversized for ultra-insulated
refrigerator service, but I suspect less oversized and a better and
more efficient match than a standard refrigerator's compressor.

So, the converted chest freezer wins on all fronts.

OTOH, 4 inches of judiciously applied pink foam beats most of these
problems, and it's extra-ugly. :-)

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: Relay contact ratings.

Chest fridge is hard to locate stuffs.  Even with upright fridge,
foods are often hidden and spoiled.  Perhaps the upright fridge should
be compartmentalized with clear drawers, or even multiple doors, to
minimum cold lost.

Re: Relay contact ratings.

You could always just stand a chest freezer up sideways. Oh, wait...

<SCNR>

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: Relay contact ratings.
links:http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/rev28_2/text/fri.htmhttp://www.or ......

If you stick it on a "harvest gold" refrigerator, it would be a big
improvement.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

TouchE9%!  (choking back up my snack)

I once had a classic "avocado" fridge that used almost as much
electricity as Al Gore, papered with bumper stickers to improve it.  I
should've tried foam.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: Relay contact ratings.
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 13:05:21 -0500, Phil Hobbs

links:http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/rev28_2/text/fri.htmhttp://www.or ......

Harvest gold is a big step up from avocado.  Our first house had an avocado
refrigerator and a harvest gold stove.  All the houses in the subdivision were
decorated by the same blind contractor.

Re: Relay contact ratings.

??????????????

You're in Australia or NZ?

Altronics or MicroZed in Australia

In NZ:

http://www.electroflash.co.nz/picaxe-products /

$4.80 NZ

http://www.sicom.co.nz/new-picaxe08m-microcontroller-xidp337359.html

$7.11 NZ

As for cable - it is one 9 pin "D" plug with TXD RXD and GND used. - the
other end is anything you want and one or two resistors to the PICAXE chip

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.

Re: Relay contact ratings.

North Island

http://www.surplustronics.co.nz/shop/product-AXE007M2.html
$4.30 NZ

How slow is the mail in NZ?

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.

Re: Relay contact ratings.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/290638915750?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Though not 240V versions as far as I can see. Pity.

Sylvia.

Re: Relay contact ratings.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/290638915750?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

   Can't you find a cheap 240 to 120 VAC transformer?

Re: Relay contact ratings.

Yes, power the whole house with 240V to 120V T.  I know someone who
does that, because 120V applicants are safer and sometime cheaper.

Re: Relay contact ratings.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/290638915750?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I could. Using it wouldn't be so straight forward. The timer has a
single pin for input, which is both the source of power for the clock,
and for running either the compressor and heater.

Sylvia.

Re: Relay contact ratings.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/290638915750?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

   There is no neutral connection to the timer?

Re: Relay contact ratings.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/290638915750?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
OK, I suppose that would work, though the thing would still be switching
voltage which is double its design rating.

Sylvia.

Re: Relay contact ratings.
On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:30:26 +1100, Sylvia Else

http://compare.ebay.com/like/290638915750?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Huh???

--
JF

Re: Relay contact ratings.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/290638915750?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Since I'm in Australia, both the defrost heater and the compressor are
rated at 240V. Anything that switches them on and off has to switch 240V.

Sylvia.

Re: Relay contact ratings.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/290638915750?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

   It would have to switch half the current it would on 120 VAC, and the
relays are the same for either line volktage.

Re: Relay contact ratings.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/290638915750?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

You've taken one apart?

Sylvia.