Recommend FM, AM, Shortwave radio?

Anyone have personal experience of a robust, portable AM, FM, Shortwave
radio?
Something I can use west of WoopWoop?
Has anyone seen (and heard) one of those wind-up radios?
I have had a small Toshiba (AM FM no shortwave) for ten years and it is
remarkable. Four AA batteries that I can recharge with a little solar
charger when I am in the wilds. If I could scale it up it would be ideal.
Battery size is a consideration. (Four metal hydride D cells is about $100)

Re: Recommend FM, AM, Shortwave radio?

Sony or Realistic/RadioShack. Not sure if you can still get SW Sonys though.

Surely you can get batteries cheaper than that. Unfortunately I haven't seen
a large size (i.e. D cells) radio with shortwave for a long time.

Maybe even try the RadioShack website, dunno if you can place international
orders or not, but they'd have the biggest and best selection  of SW sets by
far.

Re: Recommend FM, AM, Shortwave radio?

You're right, $25 each at Jaycar. Maybe try WES

Re: Recommend FM, AM, Shortwave radio?

If you're serious about shortwave you'll need a double conversion
superhet to get anything respectable signal separation -- unless
you're only interested in a very limited selection of signals.

Mine's an old Sony (CRF-160) which is probably no longer made.  It's
got provision for batteres but I don't remember what they are as only
ever run it off the mains.  (You also need a decent antenna system if
you're really serious.)

DSE have (or at least had) a fair selection of receivers, ranging from
toys up to a very respectable looking Yaesu communications receiver.
Last printed catalogue I have is 2001.  It also lists a few Sangean
models that run on AA's.

--
John H

Re: Recommend FM, AM, Shortwave radio?

Thanks for that.
I will have a look at DSE's catalogue. Funny, isn't it: you get out of the
habit of looking to DSE for anything but toys.
I'm not interested in getting hifi music, just news and so on. If the end of
the world happens while I am in the bush, and the ABC has gone with it,
perhaps I can hear about it from Radio Zagreb or something.

Re: Recommend FM, AM, Shortwave radio?

Both world wars started in Yugoslavia - what makes you think
they'd survive the first five minutes of the next one?
:-)

Re: Recommend FM, AM, Shortwave radio?

There is a modern version of the GE SuperRadio that DSE sells for around
$159.  This large portable doesn't have shortwave, but does well on AM.

They may still have a couple of Sangean receivers, though the newer ones are
a bit more plasticky.  They are synthesised and have a digital display so
battery life may be poorer than on your existing (dial) set.

Also the $2 shops are selling SW receivers that have a digital readout and
wide coverage for about $25-30.  Haven't tried one, but at the very least
the tuning would be heaps easier than those old sets that covered a
megahertz in about 1cm of dial.

Peter

Re: Recommend FM, AM, Shortwave radio?

I am more than happy with the 2 Sangeans I have (an ATS 818 and
a DX380). I think the ATS 818 is still available. If you want to
seriously get into shortwave the annual publication Passport to
Worldband Radio review most sets on the market see
http://www.passband.com /

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Recommend FM, AM, Shortwave radio?

courage and express out opinion in

Sony still make their little multiband radios.

A couple of AA batteries could lasts for weeks in one of those
beauties.  Got my Sony ICF-SW20 for over 20 years now and its still
working fine.  Great little toy that is :)

Par.

Re: Recommend FM, AM, Shortwave radio?

Thank you all for your replies.
I will probably buy a Grundig. There are two available locally, one at about
$130 and the other at nearly $200.

Site Timeline