Rechargeable cordless drill battery showing incorrect full charge when sitting in charger

Hey Guys, I have a couple of 4 month old 18V Ryobi cordless drill batteries that were working fine with casual use in that they were charging and discharging properly until one of them has decided not to charge up again.

What normally happens is that the battery would drain with use and then you pop it into the charger and the red light on the charger would signify that it was indeed flat and that the charging cycle has commenced.

Once the battery was fully recharged the green light then lights up on the charger. This still works for one of the batteries but with the other one, even though it's flat, shows a green light on the charger as soon as you place it in and therefore the charging cycle does not commence.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening and if anything can be done about it? I have lost the receipt so Bunnings won't exchange the battery. Even when a battery is at the end of it's life it would still recharge but it would only provide a few minutes of use before going flat again.

cheers.

p.s. I have tried the battery in one of Bunnings new chargers and it's showing the same green light.

Reply to
JA

Place the battery in your freezer in a sealed zip lock bag for 4 hours . if it continues to offer trouble dump it , freezing should remove the "image" /memory

Reply to
atec 7 7

Cool, so you reckon the memory effect is happening here? Makes sense. Okay, I just put it in the freezer inside a sealed bag and have to leave for work for half the day. I'll report back later how it went.

cheers

Reply to
JA

**Buy another battery. Keep the receipt and then return it. Next time: Keep your receipt when buying rubbish tools. Better still: Buy quality tools.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Nothing wrong with Ryobi drills, I bought mine (also an 18v model) 8 years ago, used it extensively, and only had to replace the battery last year. I would expect a 4 month old drill to still be under waranty, and would persue that avenue first.

Reply to
Keithr

[...]

:>> p.s. I have tried the battery in one of Bunnings new chargers and it's :>> showing the same green light. :> :> **Buy another battery. Keep the receipt and then return it. Next time: Keep :> your receipt when buying rubbish tools. Better still: Buy quality tools. : :Nothing wrong with Ryobi drills, I bought mine (also an 18v model) 8 :years ago, used it extensively, and only had to replace the battery last :year. I would expect a 4 month old drill to still be under waranty, and :would persue that avenue first.

Ah, but Ryobi power tools today are not from the same manufacturer as back in the days when the Japanese owned it. Ryobi brand name was sold to Techtronic Industries (HK) about 5 - 6 years ago and all product for Australia and the US comes out of China. For their cheap power tools the batteries will be junk Chinese makes and will fail rapidly. Ryobi do make a semi-professional range of power tools which will have good quality Panasonic or Sanyo batteries in them.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Alas, I just got home and it didn't work. Thanks for the tip anyway. Into the trash it will go now.

cheers

Reply to
JA

Yes, that's exactly what I plan to do since Bunnings told me they won't do anything without the receipt. The previous set of Ryobi 18V batteries both lasted about 3 years with regular use so this was unexpected otherwise I would have definitely kept the receipt.

I know, and I used to own a really nice 14V Makita kit with two batteries that was stolen in a garage break in. No insurance. That Makita was so smooth and quiet compared to the Ryobi.

Reply to
JA

**I've owned a few Ryobi tools (including a Japanese made battery drill). They've all let me down. Except for the battery drill (which was quite expensive), I should have seen it coming. OTOH, none of my Bosch tools have ever given me pause to wonder why I purchased them. Same deal with Makita and DeWalt. I now avoid Ryobi. There are much better tools available, for not much more money. Hell, even my $69.00 Ozito (yeah, I know it's a Bunnings special) rotary hammer drill has taken all I can throw at. And then some. I've drilled hundreds of holes into hard bricks and solid concrete, I've used 25mm bits and used to break up rocks and concrete. Never cleaned it. Greased it a couple of times. The bloody thing just won't give up. I gave up hoping it would fail within the 2 year warrnty period, so I could score a new one from Bunnings.

Ryobi. That's a different story. My only functioning Ryobi tool is a laminate trimmer. It is modelled on a Makita. A mate loaned me his Makita one day. What a difference! I've not picked up the Ryobi since.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au