Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

Hi guys.

Is it worth getting rechargeable batteries for remote controls?  I'm
thinking alkalines might be more economical.

Thanx 4 looking.

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

just buy a bulk pack of alkalines from dick smith or jaycar....
cheap and no mucking around, battery goes flat, chuck new ones in.

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

**Depends on the remote. Some two cell remotes may not work with NiCads
or NiMH cells, due to their lower terminal Voltage. 3 and 4 cell
remotes should (generally) work OK.

BTW: I'm not excited with the current crop of budget Alkalines. They
seem to have problems.

Trevor Wilson

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

** Re-chargeable cells ( AAA, AA &  9 volt ) are suitable only for those
items that draw significant power and are in regular use  -  so that using
non rechargeables becomes expensive.

A TV or similar remote has a very low daily power consumption  -  alkaline
cells generally last for more than a year and up to several years in
occasionally used remotes.

All rechargeable cell types suffer from a self discharge rate way more than
non rechargeables -  Ni-Cds can self discharge in a few months, NiMHs  take
a bit longer.  This makes them  *useless* for occasionally used items like
that torch you keep in the drawer.

It would be crazy to use a rechargeable cells in a wall clock,  even if it
did operate from the low cell voltage.

.......   Phil

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

I believe that if you continously trickle charge at C/20 you can keep them fully
charged without
over charging.

Cheers,

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

"sam"

**  Oh really  -  "sam".

So you need a dedicated charger that holds the cells for the torch on
trickle charge 24/7 while the torch has no cells in it.

Then, when the all the lights fail one night , you have to find the torch in
the dark, remove the cells from the charger in the dark, and feed them into
the torch by feel.

Maybe  YOU  can do all that.

Likely the missus or one of the kids cannot.

Pure idiocy.

......   Phil

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

Nope, the torch has cells in it.

We've never had to to that, don't expect to have to either. We're reasonably
calm and stable people
here.

Geez, settle down. It works for me 100%, without any of the hysteria too.

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

"sam"

( snip sam's brainless drivel )

** Try posting something that is not self contradictory.

   Surprise me.

........  Phil

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

Believe it or not, there is a solution that contains no contradictions.
Care to take a stab? Be warned though, it'll involve lots of analytical thought
processes but little
  paranoid hysteria.

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

**  I don't.

 Fuck off  -  you pathetic IMBECILE.

........  Phil

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

The new Rod Speed

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

You must be new around here, stranger...

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

Not that new

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

Personally, (assuming you are talking Ni-Cd or Ni-MH) using
rechargeable cells in a remote control is a PITA. The self discharge
rate means you will have to recharge/change them every couple of
months. A set of good alkalines will last two years or more depending
on how much button pressing you do.

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

The best I ever had, were the original alkalines I had in my main TV
set (used every day). I purchased the set in 1984. I swapped the
batteries out (they still allowed the remote to work) in 1996, when I
gave the set to my mum. The cell Volts had fallen to around 1.1 Volts,
but, since there were 4 cells in the remote, it still worked just fine.

Some kind of record, for alkalines?

Trevor Wilson

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

Hi Trevor,

12 years - that was an excellent set of alkalines. I have also get
more than 6 years from alkalines in my remotes and I suspect that you
can get even more than this, on average. I guess I was estimating a
bit on the conservative side because some people might buy low cost
alkaline's which certainly don't have the performance of the major
recognised heavy duty brands.

Ross Herbert

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

I got less than one year out of a set of 4 AA
duracells, the load was a PC's CMOS clock.

one of them died but the rest were still pretty good.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Rechargeable Batteries for Remote Controls?

Thanx 4 the info.

Site Timeline