Really really really light power pack

I bought an accessory for my mobile phone the other day that comes with a
power pack. The power pack is amazingly light and feels like there's nothing
in it at all. What do they put in them these days? I presume it's not a
transformer.

Michael

Re: Really really really light power pack

**SMPS.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Really really really light power pack

Of course! That explains it all :-) Surface mounted power system, right? ;-)

Michael

Re: Really really really light power pack

**Switch Mode Power Supply. Same thing as your computer power supply.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Really really really light power pack

Perhaps a bit smaller I think :-)

MrT.

Re: Really really really light power pack

It probably does have a transformer, but it runs at a frequency of
perhaps a thousand times that of a convential 50Hz transformer, so it
can be made much smaller and lighter, even after allowing for the
associated electronics for rectifying the mains and chopping it up at
the higher frequency. Not only is it lighter, but it probably adapts
to a wide range of mains supply voltages and frequencies.

Owen