Really really really light power pack

I bought an accessory for my mobile phone the other day that comes with a power pack. The power pack is amazingly light and feels like there's nothing in it at all. What do they put in them these days? I presume it's not a transformer.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

**SMPS.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Of course! That explains it all :-) Surface mounted power system, right? ;-)

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

**Switch Mode Power Supply. Same thing as your computer power supply.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

It probably does have a transformer, but it runs at a frequency of perhaps a thousand times that of a convential 50Hz transformer, so it can be made much smaller and lighter, even after allowing for the associated electronics for rectifying the mains and chopping it up at the higher frequency. Not only is it lighter, but it probably adapts to a wide range of mains supply voltages and frequencies.

Owen

Owen

Perhaps a bit smaller I think :-)

MrT.