Readily available energy efficient lighting

   I'm looking at lighting a workshop with energy efficient lighting
that will give good colour rendition and so far the options that
shape up best are T5 fluorescents or white LEDs.

  The fluoros are looking to be best value for money as they are
commonly available but I have seen mention of 130 Lumen per Watt
LEDs being developed.

   Does anyone know of sources of lighting quality LEDs that will beat
the 100 lumens per watt T5's?.

Re: Readily available energy efficient lighting

Go for the T5, by far the best value for money.

Cree are one of the leaders:
http://www.cree.com /
161 L/W in the lab:
http://www.cree.com/press/press_detail.asp?i12%27101620851
but their standard XR-E LEDs do over 100L/W
Plenty of lighting products available that use these Cree LEDs. Not cheap of
course.

Dave.

Re: Readily available energy efficient lighting

But not in production. Jam tomorrow. Their efficiency also drops
significantly at higher currents. Beware press releases. They don't tell
the whole story.

Since someone else has already mentioned Cree, take a peek here.
http://www.philipslumileds.com /

Beware the very high colour temperature of the most efficient so-called
'white' LEDs. It's in the 6500K region.

I tried a 5000K CFL and even that was too 'cold' for me.

Graham

Re: Readily available energy efficient lighting

6500K is equivalent in colour to direct sunlight. You may be looking at
the cheaper 'white' LEDs, that are actually much bluer than 6500K.

Jeez. 5000K is way too orange for my taste.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because