Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST - Page 3

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry

Why should Aussies pay for the problems that reffos introduce ?
Are you a Pom ?

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry

Never said they should, JUST rubbed his nose in the fact that it wasnt universal.

Nope.

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry

Sure it does, even those boat people they call illegal immigrants get free
health care while in detention! Plus a HUGE number of Australian residents
who are not Australian citizens. In that respect it goes TOO far IMO.

MrT.

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry

No it didnt.

There were no boat people then, stupid.

That wasnt the case when Witless introduced it either.

Yes, but that wasnt what Witless introduced.

His didnt even cover all australians, most obviously with those
with no healthcare anywhere near them and with dental.

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry

A lot of the lounge suites etc that HN they stock are Australian
Made.
We were in the market for a new one last year and noticed this at the
time.

Ended up getting one from HN in Brisbane as they had one the missus
loved and
a very good price.

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry

That's about all, and only because shipping costs allow them to compete with
imported ones.
Actually a few Fridges are still made here for the same reason.

MrT.

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry

Another bare faced lie. Most of the matresses and the bigger fridges and
freezers are too.

Another pig ignorant lie.

Its a hell of a lot more than just a few.

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry
I bought a fridge from there about a year ago and was very
surprised to find it is made in Australia.

We went looking for a couch there too, and practically
everything they had was Australian made. We ended up buying
foreign from another store because the aussie made stuff was
more than we were prepared to spend on something that will
get trashed by the kids. I'd hazard a guess that in
furniture they deliberately stock aussie made even if it is
to their detriment because they don't have the cheap imports.

Computer stuff & tv's etc you'd find bugger all aussie made
stuff, but that's because there is bugger all aussie made
stuff in the first place. One of the PC's I bought there was
"Assembled in Australia", which is better than nothing. I
have noticed Australian software (education software) on
their shelves.

What is the difference between a duck?

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry

 Getting that "Made In Australia" sticker to stick is a farce too.

 A place I used to work for made some electronic gear.

 With the exception of the actual components, the battery, and the
waterproof case, EVERYTHING else was entirely designed and assembled
here.  And that was only because Australia doesn't actually make any of
those critical bits.

 The circuit was designed by us.
 The control software was written by us.
 The PCBs were designed here, manufactured here and assembled here.
 The aluminium chassis case was designed by us, and manufactured here also.
 The whole thing was assembled, tested and calibrated here.

 Though all the electronic components came from overseas, with exception
to a couple of the speciality bits, all others were purchased locally
where possible.

 Our "second generation" box did not have a "Made In Australia" sticker
on it, and the boss went to great pains to point out that it also should
NOT have the sticker on it.

 When I questioned why (the first generation box DID have the sticker
after all), he said it costs a bomb to have the right to display the
sticker, so he told them to fuck off. (though perhaps not in those
particular words), the clients already knew we made them anyway, so he
saw no point in paying lots of money for something that doesn't really
add anything to the product.

 In constrast, I did a Compaq course a bazillion years ago, where they
told us (quite proudly) they only had something like 11% (long time ago,
my numbers might be wrong) Australian content on their gear before being
able to display the assembled in Australia sticker.
 Yep, the McDonalds-style cardboard, paper, plastic and foam packaging,
counts as Australian content too, even if the ENTIRE computer was imported.
 Though to be fair, some specific bits of the software was configured or
modified to suit the Australian region.

 Seriously, the "Made In Australia" badge has turned out to be entirely
about selling any old crap, rather than ensuring the thing is made here
in the first place.
--
I don't care who you are, Fatso. Get the reindeer off my roof!

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

Exactly, they don't "work fine as they are" because they have not increased
generating capacity to meet demand. With global emmission targets,
continuing to build coal fired power stations is not gonna happen. Carbon
capture and seqestration is only a pipe dream, and it would probably be
cheaper to invest in solar, wind, tidal, geothermal, or even nuclear.
Let's face it, it's a lot easier to live without high speed internet than
electricity!

As everywhere, and will continue to outpace inflation (in fact will help
drive inflation) by a considerable margin, for a long time to come.

Stop downloading movies and you are fine. I just borrow DVD's from the
council library instead, since I can't avoid council rates.

Exactly my point.

MrT.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

The AGW is just a scam, but for that reason our weak crooked leaders
will continue
to pursue it, and we will end up paying for it.

AKA  "The Emperor's New Clothes".

;)

$2400 PA here, plus water, cat/dog licenses and other such crap.

See above re alternative energy.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

***************************************

There is no "alternative" energy - at least
not at a price any of us could ever afford.

Too many breeding people is the problem.

Knowledge and productive skills are useless unless
you can exploit skilled and trained savages from
the third world. The imported scab labour Ponzi
scheme sure beats real, honest work, and delivers
lower wages, higher rents, and growing poverty.
Aussies need to look behind the facade of cooked
statistics. A powerful plague immigration lobby
has been telling them that growing poverty and
strife is really growing prosperity and
multicultural harmony.

Australia's private debt to GDP ratios

How the real estate Ponzi scheme debt-bubble
is shaping up for the Aussie sheeple.

Australia's colossal exponential rise of private
debt as percentage of GDP from 1969-2008 makes
Government debt look miniscule.

Ratio of Debt / GDP ___________________________ Year

::150% ________________________________________ 2008
::140% _______________________________________ 2006
::130% ______________________________________ 2005
::120% _____________________________________ 2004
::110% __________________________________ 2001
::100% _________________________________ 2000
:::90% ______________________________ 1998
:::80% ___________________________ 1995
:::70% ____________________ 1988
:::60% __________________ 1986
:::50% _______________ 1983
:::40% ________ 1976
:::30% _ 1969

********************

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

Yes they do.

Yes they have, mostly with stupid gas fired power stations.

Bet it does.

Not a pipe dream so much as uneconomic.

Nope.

Yep. And that fixes the CO2 problem forever.

electricity!

That isnt even a possibility.

Because the stupid 'alternative' energy schemes are so much more expensive.

That has to be paid for by someone.

I can download movies fine with the current broadband.

They dont have any of the stuff I want to watch.

Thats not why Telstra was flogged off. Aussat either.

Nope.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

That wasnt always the case.

We should be spending it on nukes if we believe that CO2 production
in australia actually matters a damn to world CO2 levels.

Going to be interesting to watch. Some I know like wireless, and others
dont, basically the thruput isnt good enough for those that dont.

Dunno. You can make a case for spending what was raised by flogging
off Telstra on a modern infrastucture to replace the copper network if it
wasnt for what that money could be better spent on.

Because no one but the govt is ever going to spend anything like $43B on
infrastructure.

If they can flog it off once its done, its more a way of getting that
sort of thing done because it doesnt necessarily end up costing
the taxpayer anything, just like the copper network itself didnt.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

Right, but watch the prices go up if the Australian dollar starts to fall!

MrT.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST
1219-1...

I don't blame you. I'm also sick of how these people seem to have
voice with government, and we have no real representation.

One probably with Gerry and co, (and for that matter the rotting
dinosaur called the "music industry") is that they don't seem to
realise that it is a different world now, and while they can try to
force things to work their way, they won't change things either by
taxes, rules, internet censorship and so on.  Even the Soviets
couldn't keep out western products or music if people really wanted
them.

They have to provide value for money, or close their doors.  If they
don't provide it, it will be all over the net in a short time, as it
should be and people will act accordingly.

The cat is long out of the bag and all they are doing with their
childish pathetic whinging is drawing attention to internet stores and
encouraging the public to look online.  People (especially younger
people) know what things are worth, find out very quickly where to get
the best deal and they wont be gouged or treated like fools anymore.

Maybe could contact GETUP or similar, they are always out to get the
banks. I'm sure that they would love to hit out at similar level
greedy pigs like mentioned in this article.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

In fact the minister has said that they are unlikely to change the $1K exemption
for GST.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST
3D%

If you have large companies pushing, they typically get what they want
over time.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

just
read:http://www.smh.com.au/business/fury-at-online-gst-loophole-20101219-1 ...

exemption for GST.

time.

Bet they dont on this issue.

And they didnt with the mining super profits tax either.

And the banks in spades.

Nice theory.

Pity about the real world.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST
Hi all,
I've read Don's post and the replies upto this post and have the following
thoughts.

I understand where the retailers are coming from, they're saying that their
prices are going to be at least 10% higher as compared to personal imports
below $1k being gst free.

I understand also that local prices will be higher for the following
reasons: A retailer is just that, more often than not they are not the
manufacturer or importer so there may be 2 to 3 steps in the chain each
adding their costs and profit margin, and, part of those costs associated
with the requirements of state and federal law (ie the trade practices act
etc) ie warranty.

Now I would sympathise more with the retailers if they supported local
manufacturing even if their prices for doing that were higher. It's a two
way street, they want to maximise profits for shareholders but seems to
relogate their commitment to community and code of conduct or ethics  to the
background. Just look at the amcor / qantas etc cartels - certainly no
ethics or commitment to community there.

The other side of the coin of course is that personal imports are a risk -
there is no local warranty and for items under $1k it may be cost
prohibitive to return to place of purchase to honour any warranty they may
actually offer. Most local distributors won't touch grey imports for
warranty or even for repair quotes. Depending on your payment or shipping
methods, there is also the possibility of doing your cash if the items don't
turn up.

Again - I'd sympathise more with the retailrs if they were competing using
local manufactured product - but who, in AUS, makes LCD or plasma TVs,
digital cameras, hard drives etc etc etc. And who purchases white goods or
furniture from OS - no competition there for the retailers.

If the gov't were to eliminate or reduce the gst thresholds for imports
(which would be impractical to implement) I see this as another opportunity
for the cartel mentaility, prices would no doubt go up rather than stay as
before. The only way this could even be considered would be to give the accc
some teeth.

Having said all that here's a whinge of my own.
I find that the AUS gov't tends to favour international agreements over what
is beneficial for AUS. Take for example the pv solar rebate programmes. I've
yet to see one in AUS have any local content requirement. As a result many
of the installers use imported panels where we have at least 2 manufactures
in Australia. The USA, Germany , Sweden and others all have local content
requirements for their pv solar pogrammes - but AUS, no we seem to believe
that FTAs are far more important so the panels, inverters etc all come in
from OS. This was true for most if not all the GFC incentive programmes too.

Greg

SNIP

Site Timeline