Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

Check with AP as to wether they get paid for those os packages. You may get
a suprise??

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

"SG1"

** You suggesting there is a bata system going on with the worlds mail
services ?

....  Phil

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST
**Whilst I applaud the sentiment, I doubt that the problem lies only with
retailers. Importers of certain high profile brands are probably making very
large profits.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:36:54 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"

Then shirley the Gerry Harveys should be street-smart enough to
threaten to bypass them and import direct (like K-Mart et al) if they
don't smarten up their pricing to him.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

**Many successful retailers do just that. However, there is a point where
such a thing becomes very difficult to manage. If Hardly was to import a
large number of the brands he sells, he would be doing several things:

* Financially exposing the organisation to massive overheads (products are
usually purchased on a 30 day account, whereas importers must pay either
when the product leaves port, or when it arrives in store).
* Warranty service (and the attendent stocking of spares for several years)
must be maintained.
* Service and technical people would need to be employed.
* Some importers may be pissed off and remove their products from Hardly.
This particularly applies to big, well advertised brands. And this is very
important. Guys like Sony, Panasonic, LG, Samsung, et al advertise all over
the planet. Local advertising may only reach a small percentage of the
population, whereas international advertising may reach more people.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

"Trevor Wilson"
<

** The mains issue is that most major brands simply will not supply
retailers direct  -  they have contractual arrangements in place with their
Aussie branch offices or have appointed local import agents they wish to
support for many good reasons.

....  Phil

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

With used equipment, If you have a registered company here and in
another country, (with better pricing than here)
 you can get around the parallel import bullshit, by importing as
"transferring stock within the organisation"
Know someone who did this in the 1990s and made a lot of money out of
it, bypassing the rorts
in place that doubled the prices on the same gear.

Only reason he is not still doing it is that he retired ;).
Whether it can be done with "new" gear I don't know.

On the other hand It's also quite possible that the major retailers
are already getting excellent deals on
their imported products, and just not passing them on to the
consumer.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

Two products I can compare are Asics running shoes, and Genuine Epson
printer inks.

Running Shoes are $260 inc GST here, yet $130 all taxes paid in a
regular store transaction in the US. Printer Inks $360 here inc GST Same
product in the US $220 regular price. Push bike parts are 1/2 to 1/3
less from the UK or US incl freight.

None of these products have been reduced by retailers to reflect the
Australian dollar value.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

**Indeed, though blaming retailers (only) may not be apportioning the blame
appropriately. Importers have a slice of the pie too.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

We have a retailer, who imports, increase his prices about 3 years ago
when the dollar was low, never seen him reduce the stuff since. I have
kept the catalogues over a few years so I'm able to compare them.

When the GST was introduced companies had a price increase to cover
there "losses" prior to it being introduced.

We had a price increase in electricity at the end of last year,  prior
to, what was thought, the introduction of a carbon tax so it would not
show up as an added tax.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

Nope, we have price increases on electricity EVERY year, and it has nothing
to do with a carbon tax. The price WILL increase again (and show up as an
added tax) whenever a carbon tax is introduced. Shame we couldn't spend
$43Billion on a national alternative energy scheme rather than an NBN
though.
I won't be paying $60 a month connection fee as is proposed, and I'm sure
others will just switch to wireless phone and broadband as well.
Another white elephant at taxpayer expense. Why the hell do we privatise
everything AND still expect the taxpayer to foot the infrastructure costs?

MrT.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

We had a 25% increase end of last year

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

And you'll get another one next year.

MrT.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST
  yep it dosen't look much when the units are 1.6XXXXXXXXXXXXX cents
then you add just 25% to that.

Re: Whingeing retail billionaires and the 10% GST

Why bother ?  Our energy systems work fine as they are right now.
Got enough coal to last for centuries, one of the cheapest ways to
make electricity
If there isn't enough capacity, then build more power stations.

The NBN will no doubt be "censorship ready", and probably able to
track everything people do online
much more efficiently than what we have now (which works fine for the
majority of people).
Find the troublemakers, send the stazi around to deal with them ;)

As for the electricity bills going up again, already happening in QLD

http://www.couriermail.com.au/money/queenslanders-set-to-be-slugged-with-an =
-extra-60-charge-each-year-on-power-bills/comments-e6freqoo-1225974709236?p=
g3D%2

I dont know about capital cities, but wireless is too expensive if you
want to download files, or download any significant amount of data (if
you are in Australia that is).

You really need fixed connection if you want to do that.

We are made to pay for this stuff that because these interests that
end up with these assets on the cheap when its 'privatised"
own and control both major parties via donations, media and other
influence., which is why most decisions are made for these people,
not for the average person.
The individual is just there to foot the bill for all these grubs.

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry
How many Australian Manufactured Items does Harvey Norman stores stock
in support Australian Industry?

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry

In the type of retail he is in, how many such articles are made in
Australia?

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry

Not many, but that's partly because of shops like his stocking the cheaper
imports for decades. Not that I'd want to pay 3 or 4 times as much for
electrical items like was the case in the 60's when we did have a
manufacturing industry.
In any case you can't have it both ways unless you are a rich hypocritical
asshole like Gerry Harvey!

MrT.

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry

"SNIP
Why are you using an imported pejorative?

Re: Jerry Harvey supporting Australian Industry

Pretty close to zero I would think from my visits.

MrT.

Site Timeline