Re: What's happening to Jaycarand Harvey Norman?

 My position is somewhat different to yours. I have never been able
to understand why anyone would buy anything of a technical nature
from Gerry Harvey. His (technically, it's "Her", his wife runs the
retail business now) salesdroids are on a commission with minimal
retainer arrangement. This means that the only time they're going
to be helpful and/or not lie to you is in the unlikely event that
what you want to buy happens to correspond with what they want to
sell you. They want to sell you high ticket items with minimal actual
interaction with you.

 Havings salesdroids on this renumeration arrangement means that
shopping there is going to be a universially bad experience. The
salespeople are puthy and unhelpful (their idea of 'help' is to
intercept you, the customer who has done his own research and made
his own decision en-route to the point-of-payment to "help" you carry
the goods to the counter and "help" him get his name on the sales
slip (so as to "help" him earn a commission for doing nothing).

 Low ticket items don't contribute significantly to the salesdroid's
income, so he's not interested in making any sort of effort to
sell them to you, particularly if some sort of special order might
be required.

 As for customer loyalty, salesdroids at Harvey Norman show every
bit as much loyalty to you as Gerry Harvey does to them: none. You'd
be well advised to effect the same degree of loyalty to them.

 The Woolworths/DSE case is instructive in that staff are motivated
similarly. Woolworths Limited are right cnuts insofar as staff
relations are concerned. Woolworths considers staff to be an
unfortunate (and disposable) necessity, and they renumerate
accordingly. When Woolworths bought DSE, DSE died. It's just a
junk electronics retailer now.

 Jaycar. Google it. There's been a long and detailed discussion
here in just the last month or so.

GB
--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

Re: What's happening to Jaycarand Harvey Norman?

She runs Domaine.

Re: What's happening to Jaycarand Harvey Norman?

My 2 cents worth:
Due to a simular bad experience, I refuse to shop at hn.
I have also suffered from the lack of service and intelligence at dse.

Where possible I buy my electronic parts from WES (Sydney), or consumer
electrical items from The Good Guys.
But I do live in a small town and I have limited options.

I have mostly found WES good, I had an issue with some of their belt sets
some years ago, but on all occasions that I wanted to return or replace an
item - they came through, even paying the return freight on occasion.
So one can't complain when you get service like that.

With consumer electrical items, that's a different story. It pays to shop
around.

Jeff
jeffqld+aus_electATgmail.com            [replace AT with @]

Re: What's happening to Jaycarand Harvey Norman?

Yeah, I have no loyalty, I buy from the cheapest seller.

I recently had a very good experience with HN. My breville toaster died
after six months (the wizz-bang white LED "countdown" display backlight
went dim) and I took it back under the 12month replacement warranty. I
expected to be in there for ages and have a big hassle etc, but I came
out about 2 minutes later with a new toaster off the shelf, no
questions asked, no hassles.
Same thing happened again two weeks later (same fault!), I was again
out with a new toaster within two minutes.

Dave :)

Re: What's happening to Jaycarand Harvey Norman?

It's no skin off their nose to do this.  The manufacturer most likely has a
return for exchange warranty policy on this appliance.
The droid at HN had enough sense to realise that to replace it immediately
for you would mean not having to engage you in a trial argument, thus
wasting his potential sales time ( read possible commission earning) with
other buyers.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: What's happening to Jaycarand Harvey Norman?

Yes, and I was glad for it.
At the very least I expected some paperwork and that I'd have to line
back up at the checkout again etc, but they let me pick one up off the
floor stock and walk right back out the door. NICE!

Dave :)

Re: What's happening to Jaycarand Harvey Norman?

Interesting. originally I actually had quite good experiences at HN in
furniture, white goods and computers. Maybe it was because the sales staff
saw me as a good prospect (and they were right - I bought tens of thousands
worth) but it worked then. But it fell down when I wanted the battery and so
they lost their man. And only a few weeks later I've bought a new printer
and a new laptop -- from somewhere else. And I'll never go back. Lack of
intelligence I suppose -- the good service would have rapidly paid. Paying
on commission should work if the salesperson has the intelligence to realise
that loyalty breeds ongoing sales.

Re: What's happening to Jaycarand Harvey Norman?

And then there are the salespeople/ businesses who don't help with the
little stuff and wonder why they don't get repeat custom.
I tried to buy a cable from Johnnyappleseed GPS the other day, total lack of
communication on their part, guess which store will not sell any more GPS or
mapping to me any more?

Re: What's happening to Jaycarand Harvey Norman?

I wonder if Kymbal knows about it... AFAIK he's still the Brisbane
based principal.  I've never had anything but first class service from
him (and sent many a potential customer in his direction).

Or has the management recently changed by any chance?

--
John H

Site Timeline