Re: TV fuse

I've finally got round to doing this.  I've seen the warning on the back of
the TV that says "Do not remove cover. Electric shock."

Two questions:

1. If I have the TV unplugged, is there no risk of electric shock?

2. Do I need to take off the whole back half of the TV just to look at the
fuses near the power supply?

Re: TV fuse

  there is a risk if you touch certain parts
  no idea , what model is it ?

Re: TV fuse

It's a Sony. Approx 10 years old.

Re: TV fuse

"Tron"
 "Phil Allison"

**  Don't bust a gut hurrying like that   - pal  ....

** If you are nervous about this then

  DO   NOT   EVEN   THINK  OF   IT  !!

.....   Phil

Re: TV fuse

1. No
2. Yes.

Re: TV fuse

Don't do it if you haven't any knowledge or qualifications with
electrical devices. Even with the set switched off and unplugged there
are areas like the HT power supply that have large capacitors that hold
their 16KV or more voltage for a very long time. It can trigger
fibrillation of the heart.

Get a TV service person to do it - even if it is *only* a fuse. The
important question is "why did the fuse blow?" replacing it might simply
blow again and this time do some real damage.

If anything happened to you your insurance would be null and void as you
are not an authorised person to do this.

Re: TV fuse

I appreciate your point.  How long are we talking here?  The set has been
off for weeks.

Re: TV fuse

Do you have a partner who knows CPR?

If you don't know what you are doing, get an expert to do it.

--
Shill #2

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God
Re: TV fuse

Please go away troll........

Re: TV fuse

devices. Even with the set switched off and unplugged
their 16KV or more voltage for a very long time. It
for weeks.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid20%070925210737AAnYSHb

Capacitors / How Long can a Capacitor Hold a charge of energy?

That really depends on the impedance of the circuit around it, and its leakage
rating. A really good Cap with nothing to drain off
the energy can hold the voltage for a couple of days, maybe weeks, but most caps
used in radios might hold their charge for a couple
of hours if nothing is draining them

Herc

Re: TV fuse

If you need to ask these basic question then you shouldn't be holding a
screw driver let alone taking the back off a set. Call a qualified repairer
and leave it alone.

front
back of
the
electrical devices. Even with the set switched off and unplugged
that hold their 16KV or more voltage for a very long time. It
been off for weeks.
leakage rating. A really good Cap with nothing to drain off
most caps used in radios might hold their charge for a couple

Re: TV fuse

 8<- - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - -

What do you mean by 'authorised'? There are many electronic hobbyists that
can fix TV's. You don't need a license etc.

Re: TV fuse

You probably do, but I doubt that many actually have ;)

Re: TV fuse

I'm talking insurance claim - you would be blown out of the water by the
insurance company if you were not 'authorised' to carry out repairs.
Check your fine print. Australia is pretty lax on regulations compared
to some parts of Europe where you can't even buy a power point socket
unless you present a license - I believe it is on the agenda for
discussion here.

Re: TV fuse

Victoria was going to do that some years back, but as far as I know,
it hasn't happened.

Would make for a good black market though if it did happen.

Re: TV fuse

It could only work at a Federal level and yes a great black market
opportunity! I don't think it will happen. You can only go so far in
trying to protect people from silly decisions. I think there is a lot of
"I'm a bloke so I can do anything mentality" in tackling a range of home
repairs.

Re: TV fuse

"snip>
I once saw a T.V. attached to a two-metre-long  extension cord. The T.V.
power cable had a socket and the extension cord had a plug at both ends. I
pointed out the danger to the lady of the house but she said "My hubby fixed
it" (no surprise there) "He knows all about those things".

Re: TV fuse

There's plenty of builders and plumbers that make a living out of the
'weekend tradesmen' as well.

Re: TV fuse
   Don't even start me on the near disasters I've seen! like a power
extension draped across an outdoor saltwater pool with the plug and
socket  200mm from waters edge. There were 3 children in the pool at the
time...

Re: TV fuse

There is a risk, the CRT might still be holding voltage, and there is
SOME possibility
that other parts such as capacitors may be holding a charge still.
(enough to bite you)
I have had CRT's bite me after a couple of weeks of being
disconnected. It is NOT fun.

You do have to remove the back to check the fuse on every set that I
have seen
in the last couple of decades, though im sure someone will find an
exception.

(we did own an Astor set in the early 1970s that you could remove the
fuse without taking the back off
by unscrewing a white plastic clip on the back of the set that held
the fuse.)

Its also very possible that there are 2 fuses, one on the incoming
mains supply, and a smaller
rated one on the output  B+ rail of the power supply in the set.

If you are asking these questions, you should probably not be doing
this job.

If you go ahead and do it, then I would advise removing the fuse (or
its remains as the case may be) and replacing it with an insulated
tool
an insulated tool, and not with your fingers.

The fuse should be checked with a meter, I have seen fuses fail inside
the end cap, and still look "ok" through the glass tube.

If it is blackened - then you will probably find the replacement will
do the same too, as shorted out swichmode chopper transistors or
Horizontal output transistors are a common fault and will usually
provide a dead short across the mains.