Re: Toaster Repair

They guy who runs the company and owns a patent on some aspect of this

> recons that it does in trials they have done. > He said you can leave the bread in there as long as you want, provided it > follows the right temperature profile it will never burn.

Maybe, but it sure would dry out and become hard and unappealing.

My el-cheapo toaster does a fine job (and amazingly has lasted about 10 years already) I can't imagine paying far more for something only slightly better, that still may break down. The old Sunbeams that gently lowered and raised the bread were pretty good 40 years ago IMO, but stopped being made because people didn't want to pay so much extra just to color their bread.

Just like the old saying "build a better mouse trap and they will come" it completely ignores marketing and economics.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

That's not a big saying, it doesn't even parse in English.

Results 1 - 10 of about 95 for "build a better mouse trap and they will come"

I think this is the one you're thinking of.

Results 1 - 10 of about 451,000 for "build it and they will come".

How about, invent something useful and make lots of money!

Herc

Reply to
|-|erc

CRUNCHY = yummy.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

You will make more money by inventing a piece of crap that everyone thinks they really need ;-)

Rubics Cube, Yoyo, Frisbee, Hula Hoop, iPod etc.

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

Croutons? ;-)

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

The Pet Rock is my favourite.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

"Build a better mousetrap and people will beat a path to your door"

Michael A. Terrell

Nah, Apple made far more money from the iPod.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Only because the pet rock didn't have a USB port. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

. . .

Oh, for the simple life! What I want is one of those old-fashioned pop up toasters with one adjustment knob and a lever on the side to lower the bread, where the lever also serves to turn it off early if you want to do that.

We had one like that for years, but it finally died. With the new one you can't turn it off by lifting the lever - none of that intuitive stuff any more. Instead you have to remember which one of the array of buttons on the side (labelled with tiny, hard to read print) is to terminate the operation. Not only that, but for some reason it takes a lot of pressure on this button to get to turn off, which means stopping it is a two handed operation - one to press the button, and the other to stop the toaster sliding away. In fact the cancel button is so hard to press, my wife has to keep a small wooden stick handy to prod it with.

Why it has to have so many buttons, I don't know. One is something to do with frozen bread. I can't remember now, or perhaps I never knew, whether this is for toasting frozen bread, for thawing it without toasting it, or maybe for freezing bread instead of heating it...

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

rubbish!

d:-)...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

That's an imitation.

Michael A. Terrell

Naah, far too complicated. I like the ones with the one central rack and two flap down doors either side.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
terryc

Best of all, you don't need a metal knife or fork to remove jammed toast.

Safe even for Phil to use.

(On second thoughts)

Hey Phil, here's a popup toaster that's still plugged in, and a drawer full of metal knives and forks for you to use as tools.

Go have some fun.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

it was an April 1st joke. got a lot of coverage at the time.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Why am I not surprised. :-) Looks about as useful as many other USB devices on the market too.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

toast.

Too bad the toast is always burnt because you inevitably forget to remove it until the smoke starts rising! I'd never want to use one again personally, electric Jaffle irons are bad enough. I'm surprised more don't have timers at least. They continue to cook a little from residual heat, but don't burn as badly.

Maybe you guys could go back to holding the bread over a fire with a toasting fork?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

It is funny, just not the original.

Michael A. Terrell

Damn it! My patent attorney was just drawing up the application for that!

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones