RE: The great CFL rip-off

I noticed in Woolworths today that there was a large quantity of what looked
like regular pearl BC Philips incandesent lamps on display. The box claimed they
used 30% less energy than the normal incandescent of the same light output - 53W
for 850 lumens (equivalent to a 75W standard incandescent bulb) for 2000 hours.
A closer inspection showed that inside the normal pearl glass envelope, on top
of the glass central pillar where the suspension filament is usually mounted,
sat an incandescent luminaire bulb. A bulb with a bulb as it were. But still, in
my book, and incandescent lamp. Apparently, the Australian government, whilst
banning the importation of the old type incandescent lamps, does not classify
this newer type of incandescent bulb as incandescent. Or has Philips discovered
a loophole in the legislation?

RE: The great CFL rip-off

What was the price Ross?

Re: The great CFL rip-off

What a Coincidence - Saw these in Woolies on Saturday too. They were
$2.50 each (cant remember if it was a special or not).

Bit ridiculous when you could buy proper bulbs for about 30% of the
price a few months back.
Im glad I bought stock of real bulbs earlier in the year.

Only paid attention because I thought they were "real" bulbs at first
glance.

Note - these arent new, Woolies had another major brand of these about
a year back, a lot cheaper too. (75c rings a bell)
Was going to post on here about it at the time, but forgot all about
it.

Re: The great CFL rip-off

:
[...]
:>
:
:What was the price Ross?

In Karrinyup Woolies they were $3.76. I note that KR quotes $2.50 so unless that
price was a "special" we are getting ripped off in WA as usual.

Re: The great CFL rip-off

Sorry I made a mistake on that price,

I was in Woolworths again today,  the QH bulbs for $2.50 are NOT the
"Philips" brand discussed here, they were the "Woolworths essentials"
brand.

(The Philips ones were also $3.76 at our Woolies store.)

"Woolworths Essentials" QH bulbs, look like an identical product
though, (wattage, size, shape) and probably would have much the same
specs as per Phil's tests ?.

Re: The great CFL rip-off

"KR"

Sorry I made a mistake on that price,

I was in Woolworths again today,  the QH bulbs for $2.50 are NOT the
"Philips" brand discussed here, they were the "Woolworths essentials"
brand.

(The Philips ones were also $3.76 at our Woolies store.)

"Woolworths Essentials" QH bulbs, look like an identical product
though, (wattage, size, shape) and probably would have much the same
specs as per Phil's tests ?.

** The "Essentials" brand lamps are made in China, as opposed to Poland for
the Philips ones.

The glass envelope is considerably smaller than the Philips ones -  which is
a match for standard incandescent lamps.

Light output is just a tad less than the Philips - with same 76 watt
consumption and 2000 hour life claim.

 ....  Phil

Re: The great CFL rip-off

"Ross Herbert"

** Not a  loophole -  but a deliberate exception.

So called " high efficiency incandescent " ( ie quartz halogen ) lamps are
still allowed on sale for the present in BC and ES styles.

That bulb within a bulb is a 240 volt halogen type -  the filament runs
hotter so it has more efficiency  - the halogen cycle gives it a longer
average life  -  ie 2000 instead of 1000 hrs.

Cost about $3 or $4 each and only sold in clear glass types by Woollies.

They removed all normal GLS bulbs from sale in February this year ( the
toady, goodie two shoes they are ) and began stocking the expensive Philips
ones you saw at the same time.

IF  you need infinite DIMMABILITY  or the instant, full illumination of a
filament lamp -  for the bathroom or other cold place that CFLs are  BLOODY
HOPELESS  for   -   buy a bunch of them  NOW !!

Cos they will be banned  TOO  in a couple of years time.

BTW:

Do the planet a favour  .....

punch the next Greenie you meet light's  out   !!

.....   Phil

Re: The great CFL rip-off

Will do.

Re: The great CFL rip-off

said...
:
:"Ross Herbert"
:>
[...]

Yeah, you're clearly incapable of doing that yourself.

Re: The great CFL rip-off

$2.50 each in woolies in QLD.
Saw these on the weekend when in there.

BLOODY

Re: The great CFL rip-off

BLOODY

Better still

Give them lead poisoning, via a bullet straight through the head.

Beware the implosion from the vacuum in there suddenly being "let down
to air".
Stand well back.

Re: The great CFL rip-off

:
:Beware the implosion from the vacuum in there suddenly being "let down
:to air".
:Stand well back.

I bought one as a replacement for a brand new Philips CFL spiral type which just
broke apart in my hand as I was inserting it into the desk lamp the previous
day. Luckily, no damage to my hand resulted. They sure aren't very strong if the
bayonet pins or the lamp socket are a bit stiff and don't allow easy insertion,
so watch out for this hazard with CFL's.

Site Timeline