RE: The great CFL rip-off

I noticed in Woolworths today that there was a large quantity of what looked like regular pearl BC Philips incandesent lamps on display. The box claimed they used 30% less energy than the normal incandescent of the same light output - 53W for 850 lumens (equivalent to a 75W standard incandescent bulb) for 2000 hours. A closer inspection showed that inside the normal pearl glass envelope, on top of the glass central pillar where the suspension filament is usually mounted, sat an incandescent luminaire bulb. A bulb with a bulb as it were. But still, in my book, and incandescent lamp. Apparently, the Australian government, whilst banning the importation of the old type incandescent lamps, does not classify this newer type of incandescent bulb as incandescent. Or has Philips discovered a loophole in the legislation?

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Ross Herbert wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What was the price Ross?

Reply to
GeoffC

"Ross Herbert"

** Not a loophole - but a deliberate exception.

So called " high efficiency incandescent " ( ie quartz halogen ) lamps are still allowed on sale for the present in BC and ES styles.

That bulb within a bulb is a 240 volt halogen type - the filament runs hotter so it has more efficiency - the halogen cycle gives it a longer average life - ie 2000 instead of 1000 hrs.

Cost about $3 or $4 each and only sold in clear glass types by Woollies.

They removed all normal GLS bulbs from sale in February this year ( the toady, goodie two shoes they are ) and began stocking the expensive Philips ones you saw at the same time.

IF you need infinite DIMMABILITY or the instant, full illumination of a filament lamp - for the bathroom or other cold place that CFLs are BLOODY HOPELESS for - buy a bunch of them NOW !!

Cos they will be banned TOO in a couple of years time.

BTW:

Do the planet a favour .....

punch the next Greenie you meet light's out !!

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Will do.

Reply to
GeoffC

In article , phil snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au said... : :"Ross Herbert" :>

:> I noticed in Woolworths today that there was a large quantity of what :> looked :> like regular pearl BC Philips incandesent lamps on display. The box :> claimed they :> used 30% less energy than the normal incandescent of the same light :> output - 53W :> for 850 lumens (equivalent to a 75W standard incandescent bulb) for 2000 :> hours. :> A closer inspection showed that inside the normal pearl glass envelope, on :> top :> of the glass central pillar where the suspension filament is usually :> mounted, :> sat an incandescent luminaire bulb. A bulb with a bulb as it were. But :> still, in :> my book, and incandescent lamp. Apparently, the Australian government, :> whilst :> banning the importation of the old type incandescent lamps, does not :> classify :> this newer type of incandescent bulb as incandescent. Or has Philips :> discovered :> a loophole in the legislation? : : :** Not a loophole - but a deliberate exception. : :So called " high efficiency incandescent " ( ie quartz halogen ) lamps are :still allowed on sale for the present in BC and ES styles. : :That bulb within a bulb is a 240 volt halogen type - the filament runs :hotter so it has more efficiency - the halogen cycle gives it a longer :average life - ie 2000 instead of 1000 hrs. : :Cost about $3 or $4 each and only sold in clear glass types by Woollies. : :They removed all normal GLS bulbs from sale in February this year ( the :toady, goodie two shoes they are ) and began stocking the expensive Philips :ones you saw at the same time. : :IF you need infinite DIMMABILITY or the instant, full illumination of a :filament lamp - for the bathroom or other cold place that CFLs are BLOODY :HOPELESS for - buy a bunch of them NOW !! : :Cos they will be banned TOO in a couple of years time. : :BTW: : :Do the planet a favour ..... : :punch the next Greenie you meet light's out !!

Yeah, you're clearly incapable of doing that yourself.

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Je=DFus?=

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What a Coincidence - Saw these in Woolies on Saturday too. They were $2.50 each (cant remember if it was a special or not).

Bit ridiculous when you could buy proper bulbs for about 30% of the price a few months back. Im glad I bought stock of real bulbs earlier in the year.

Only paid attention because I thought they were "real" bulbs at first glance.

Note - these arent new, Woolies had another major brand of these about a year back, a lot cheaper too. (75c rings a bell) Was going to post on here about it at the time, but forgot all about it.

Reply to
KR

0

on

$2.50 each in woolies in QLD. Saw these on the weekend when in there.

ps

of a

BLOODY

Reply to
KR

0

on

ps

of a

BLOODY

Better still

Give them lead poisoning, via a bullet straight through the head.

Beware the implosion from the vacuum in there suddenly being "let down to air". Stand well back.

Reply to
KR

:Ross Herbert wrote in :news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: : :> I noticed in Woolworths today that there was a large quantity of what :> looked like regular pearl BC Philips incandesent lamps on display. The :> box claimed they used 30% less energy than the normal incandescent of :> the same light output - 53W for 850 lumens (equivalent to a 75W :> standard incandescent bulb) for 2000 hours. A closer inspection showed :> that inside the normal pearl glass envelope, on top of the glass :> central pillar where the suspension filament is usually mounted, sat :> an incandescent luminaire bulb. A bulb with a bulb as it were. But :> still, in my book, and incandescent lamp. Apparently, the Australian :> government, whilst banning the importation of the old type :> incandescent lamps, does not classify this newer type of incandescent :> bulb as incandescent. Or has Philips discovered a loophole in the :> legislation? :> : :What was the price Ross?

In Karrinyup Woolies they were $3.76. I note that KR quotes $2.50 so unless that price was a "special" we are getting ripped off in WA as usual.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

: :Beware the implosion from the vacuum in there suddenly being "let down :to air". :Stand well back.

I bought one as a replacement for a brand new Philips CFL spiral type which just broke apart in my hand as I was inserting it into the desk lamp the previous day. Luckily, no damage to my hand resulted. They sure aren't very strong if the bayonet pins or the lamp socket are a bit stiff and don't allow easy insertion, so watch out for this hazard with CFL's.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

ss that

Sorry I made a mistake on that price,

I was in Woolworths again today, the QH bulbs for $2.50 are NOT the "Philips" brand discussed here, they were the "Woolworths essentials" brand.

(The Philips ones were also $3.76 at our Woolies store.)

"Woolworths Essentials" QH bulbs, look like an identical product though, (wattage, size, shape) and probably would have much the same specs as per Phil's tests ?.

Reply to
KR

"KR"

Sorry I made a mistake on that price,

I was in Woolworths again today, the QH bulbs for $2.50 are NOT the "Philips" brand discussed here, they were the "Woolworths essentials" brand.

(The Philips ones were also $3.76 at our Woolies store.)

"Woolworths Essentials" QH bulbs, look like an identical product though, (wattage, size, shape) and probably would have much the same specs as per Phil's tests ?.

** The "Essentials" brand lamps are made in China, as opposed to Poland for the Philips ones.

The glass envelope is considerably smaller than the Philips ones - which is a match for standard incandescent lamps.

Light output is just a tad less than the Philips - with same 76 watt consumption and 2000 hour life claim.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison