Re: Super Capacitors

Hacker list.

Re: Super Capacitors

Besides electric dragsters, what are they good for?

--
Neither the pheasant plucker, nor the pheasant plucker's son.

Re: Super Capacitors
Spot welding? The rated max current for the 3000F ones is about 2kA, so
you'd need a few of them in series and parallel to get enough current
and voltage whilst remaining within ratings, and a big array of MOSFETs
to switch the welding current.

Most of the uses on youtube seem to be starting car engines in very cold
weather, and LED torches etc.

I think a little UPS for the raspberry pi would be handy, to allow it to
close all its files before the power goes off, to prevent corrupting the
SD card when someone pulls the plug. The main advantage of a small
supercap over a LiPo might be that you could send it through the post
and in all honesty tick the box to say there are no batteries inside. It
might also last longer before the battery / cap needs replacing, perhaps.

Chris

Re: Super Capacitors

Going off the subject a bit,what is this no batteries through post if I
post something when I get lithium batteries from ebay through post all
the time and millions of batteries get through post separately and built
in items every day?

Re: Super Capacitors

Don't ask me. Go to the post office and ask them (if you're in
Australia). There are some nonsensical rules that have something to do
with whether the battery is installed inside something or just a spare
battery. The rules as written don't make sense, and the staff sometimes
implement them in a way that is different again. The end result is that
it is slightly advantageous to avoid using lithium batteries (including
coin cell primary cells) because the rules are a hassle.

Chris

Re: Super Capacitors
I have asked and got nowhere, just cant post batteries no mention of type.

Site Timeline