Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

I don't know which brands you're referring to, but I've owned EDSYN
(Engineering Dedicated To Suit Your Needs!) irons for 20+ years, and they
don't look anything like that.

Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

Hello Rich, I'm the OP. I'm sorry to hear you think I'm a troll.

I don't know what you mean by "same" becuase I have only posted
here recently and I hope there isn't another post which could be
misconstrued as a troll.

Perhaps you just don't like my point of view?

Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

If you buy cheap, you get cheap.

Get a Metcal. No screw at all.

Mini. CitroŽn. Vauxhall. Volvo. Rolls. Porsche. Fiat.

http://philip.greenspun.com/images/pcd3815/dublin-deux-chevaux-20.4.jpg

John

Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

Model C ?

I had one of those in my hobby days. Lovely for miniature work ( 15W ).
I also had a SOLON 25W. Another classic. The copper bit was held in
place with a split pin. Of course I've had a Weller TCP for decades now.
Love 'em.

Graham

Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

If you expect something from a $10 hardware store soldering iron
that's made in China, you shouldn't be in electronics. The only people
who use those are kids starting out in tronics and people who don't
know anything about electronics.

If you want a good iron, get a Metcal (now OK). Metcal has soldering
irons for under $200 which work very well for SMT and thruhole. My
only gripe about the cheap Metcals is the tip temperature only goes up
to 750 deg F. Gotta use my 20+ year old Weller iron for melting
isulation off of magnet wire.

If you really want to see a classic soldering iron, get your hands on
an American Beauty! You'll drop your shorts when you get your hands on
that one.

Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

My dad had one, 150 W i think.  It would solder 12 Ga. sheet metal.
  .

Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?
... and wherever in the world I happened to be, there were always those
Weller stations. Antex? Never seen it, never heard of it. Strange, ain't it?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

EDSYN are lovely irons but none of them list for under $100 and
I believe they all have temperature regulation.

Apologies if I wasn't clear but EDSYN wasn't what I had in mind
when I said "An ordinary soldering iron in the US with
unregulated temperature".  I mean the cheaper end of the market
but not as cheap the rock-bottom $5 irons!

http://www.edsyn.com/index.php?Mode=SolderingStations

Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

Ahm, what? See below.

Tell me, where's that ugly side-screw on this one?

http://www.edsyn.com/index.php?Mode=piw&pn=CL1481

Regarding your comment above, last time I checked $54.86 was still less
than $100 ...

Oh, and no temperature regulation :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

Good point Joerg.  I missed that one in the online catalogue.

You may be misunderstanding me if you think I said ALL basic
American soldering irons look Russian.  I meant to say there was a
lot more of this sort of poor design in the US than in western
Europe.  A single item doesn't really prove or disprove it.

However. as you kindly drew my attention to EDSYN then I show
illustrate the Antexes I mentioned.

<http://www.antex.co.uk/prodtype.asp?CAT_ID18%0
&strPageHistory=category>

Consumer goods are cheaper in the US, so the usual $1 = £1 is
probably a good indicator of the sort of price level these irons
are at. It's the sub $20 market (including tax).

Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

Well, there are tons of them that look sleek and modern. Visit a good
hardware store over here and see for yourself. Or any major Radio Shack.

Antex may be good but they seem to have the same problem as Ersa (I
loved their irons while in Europe): International marketing may be lacking.

Well, check this one out, under $10, no side screw, the tip is threaded
and that screws in as a whole from the front (IIRC):
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId20%62737

If I'd need a simple iron I'd got for a good name brand, like this one
for $40:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId33%48440

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

  How about the Weller irons like the SP23? I have owned one or more at
a time from the early '70s.  The tip is threaded into the heating
element and it retails for under $20.  I bought a new one last year
after the threads finally corroded out of the element after 35 years of
use.  I only use the non regulated irons to make cables, or for antique
electronics.  For modern ESD sensitive equipment I used the Edsyn Loner
series and had three irons on my bench, one with a .015" tip in a
reducing collet.

  I also have the 175 watt version that does use a set screw to hold the
tip.

 25 watt:
<http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/CF_Files/model_detail.cfm?upc03%7103169228
175 watt:
<http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/CF_Files/model_detail.cfm?upc03%7103474674

Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

Now, you ARE trolling.

See ya!
Rich

Site Timeline