Re: Side Question Re: AC/AC Converter

"MousePad"

** With DC motors on the model trains how far do you think they will move ?

  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......

......  Phil

Re: Side Question Re: AC/AC Converter

Well, they would need modification to accommodate the AC.

Re: Side Question Re: AC/AC Converter

yes, a wonderful invention called a bridge rectifier.

Re: Side Question Re: AC/AC Converter

I do hope the OP isn't serious.
Only a fool would modify their trains so they could run on AC tracks.

DCC is all the rage now.

Dave.

Re: Side Question Re: AC/AC Converter

Doesn't DCC work over AC?  Albeit, not the same AC from a power pack, or
from mains.

I have already put one train under radio control, using the rails to
supply the radio gear and motors.

Re: Side Question Re: AC/AC Converter
for
?

DCC is a pulse width encoded square wave.
Normal DC trains are modded to work with DCC. A bridge rectifier
converts the square wave into DC for the PWM motor control. A lot even
come with DCC encoders built in now. They are still DC motors of
course.

Dave.

Re: Side Question Re: AC/AC Converter

And how do you intend to make them go forward and backwards?
Use something like an X10 system?

what problem are you really trying to solve?

Re: Side Question Re: AC/AC Converter

    Some model trains do run on AC and are getting pretty high-tech
these days. Have a gander at
http://www.marklin.com/tech/digital1/components/6080.html

Re: Side Question Re: AC/AC Converter

Yep, I remembered therewas some systems around. Shades of not having the
room to set up some track and build my own.

Site Timeline