Re: Side Question Re: AC/AC Converter

"MousePad"

If I was to wire the AC adapter directly to the tracks, ignoring for the > moment any modifications required to accommodate, would this be asking for > trouble?
** With DC motors on the model trains how far do you think they will move ?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well, they would need modification to accommodate the AC.

Reply to
MousePad

yes, a wonderful invention called a bridge rectifier.

Reply to
kreed

I do hope the OP isn't serious. Only a fool would modify their trains so they could run on AC tracks.

DCC is all the rage now.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

And how do you intend to make them go forward and backwards? Use something like an X10 system?

what problem are you really trying to solve?

Reply to
terryc

Some model trains do run on AC and are getting pretty high-tech these days. Have a gander at

Bob Parker

Yep, I remembered therewas some systems around. Shades of not having the room to set up some track and build my own.

Reply to
terryc

Doesn't DCC work over AC? Albeit, not the same AC from a power pack, or from mains.

I have already put one train under radio control, using the rails to supply the radio gear and motors.

Reply to
Wayne

for

?

DCC is a pulse width encoded square wave. Normal DC trains are modded to work with DCC. A bridge rectifier converts the square wave into DC for the PWM motor control. A lot even come with DCC encoders built in now. They are still DC motors of course.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones