Re: SC's USB Clock

This project is supposed to synchronise with the Internet via a PC to

> ensure "accurate timekeeping" > > How accurate can it be, when any time signal derived via the internet > will be delayed by the unpredictable latency of the network ? > > The claimed accuracy in stand alone mode, running off a watch crystal > is 2 seconds a day. Are you really going to improve it by a daily > sync with the net ? I would have thought that all you will achive will > be to keep the clock in step with your PC and the net service from > which the PC's time is derived +/- the latency error. > > Any ideas ?

As others have pointed point, latency isn't really a problem.

From a practical point of view though it's a fairly useless project. For starters it's got no seconds display, USB sync is such a pain that no one will bother (unless you sit on your desk next to the computer), and who is going to want a hand held project box like that as a feature clock anyway? It's really just a demonstration project rather than being of any practical worth. Nothing wrong with that though I suppose.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Well, thanks for the clarification guys.

I must admit I agree with DLJ - I can't really see this as a really practical project - if you really had a need for that sort of accuracy you would be better off building the GPS referenced clock from a few months ago.

Dave G.

Reply to
Dave Goldfinch

Does it teach basic internet service stuff? aka go to this ipand read this port?

Reply to
terryc

It's billed as a project "for the advanced constructor" Part 1 this month is all about the surface mount soldering. Next month they tell you how to synchronise it and run the USBCLOCK.EXE program every time your PC starts. Sounds like it's a two step process - synchronise your PC clock and then the USB clock is programed from your PC time.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Or at least something more practical in terms of looks and syncing. e.g. a mantel style clock with automated direct time sync via Ethernet or wireless. Kinda like this one:

I'd be surprised if any of the kit suppliers carry it.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I work in a power station that uses some very large and widely distributed control systems. We use a GPS device for timing, however I can see that in other industrial situations a project like this would be suitable for a master time system.

Reply to
Davo

Here is another NTP clock project for those playing along at home:

Just plug into your router.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones