Re: SC's USB Clock

As others have pointed point, latency isn't really a problem.

From a practical point of view though it's a fairly useless project.
For starters it's got no seconds display, USB sync is such a pain that
no one will bother (unless you sit on your desk next to the computer),
and who is going to want a hand held project box like that as a
feature clock anyway?
It's really just a demonstration project rather than being of any
practical worth. Nothing wrong with that though I suppose.

Dave.

Re: SC's USB Clock
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 19:05:47 -0700 (PDT), "David L. Jones"

Well, thanks for the clarification guys.

I must admit I agree with DLJ - I can't really see this as a really
practical project - if you really had a need for that sort of accuracy
you would be better off building the GPS referenced clock from a few
months ago.

Dave G.

Re: SC's USB Clock

Or at least something more practical in terms of looks and syncing.
e.g. a mantel style clock with automated direct time sync via Ethernet
or wireless.
Kinda like this one:
http://www.circuitcellar.com/microchip2007/winners/second.html

I'd be surprised if any of the kit suppliers carry it.

Dave.

Re: SC's USB Clock

I work in a power station that uses some very large and widely
distributed control systems. We use a GPS device for timing, however I
can see that in other industrial situations a project like this would be
  suitable for a master time system.

Re: SC's USB Clock

Here is another NTP clock project for those playing along at home:
http://tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200710/avr-ntp-clock.shtml
Just plug into your router.

Dave.

Re: SC's USB Clock

Does it teach basic internet service stuff?
aka go to this ipand read this port?

Re: SC's USB Clock

It's billed as a project "for the advanced constructor"
Part 1 this month is all about the surface mount soldering.
Next month they tell you how to synchronise it and run the
USBCLOCK.EXE program every time your PC starts.
Sounds like it's a two step process - synchronise your PC clock and
then the USB clock is programed from your PC time.

Dave.

Site Timeline