Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

My Woolies 23W job draws 210ma therefore it is a 50.4W globe. Is there a bit
of skullduggery going on here?????????

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs
My alternating current theory is rusty, but couldn't that be due to the
difference between VA (Volts * Amps) and Watts?

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

"annily"

** The power factor ( PF)  for most CFLs is around 0.4 to 0.5  -  so a 23
watt rating corresponds with 50 VA.

For comparison, my desk lamp uses a 15 watt fluoro tube with an iron core
ballast choke and starter in the base  - it  has a current draw of 310mA.

Makes the PF =  0.2

......    Phil

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:09:07 +1100, "Phil Allison"

So the next question is
'What do we actually pay for on our electricity bill?'

Graeme

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

Well, it's supposed to be based on so much per kilowatt-hour, not kVA,
so I hope we are paying for watts, not VA.

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

Hope to be paying less soon. A 1KW solar cell jobby going on roof. Cost to
me $355 cost to the feds $8000. Only problems night & clouds.

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

Crikey, that's practically free!
Where do you live?

Dave.

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

The Qld government had a lottery and I was toooo late for it, but they
arranged a contract with a company to supply at $355 above the feds rebate,
which I got approval for the other week. Oh the feds are dropping the rebate
to $7500 soon.

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

Damn, you got lucky.
Last I looked it was like $14K to install a 1KW system in Sydney, so approx
$7K out of your own pocket.
If it dropped to say a few $K difference it'll be a no-brainer for me.

Dave.

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

They are advertising a $4K difference with local Toowoomba company here. Get
onto you local polly and start a movement to get a similar scheme started.
Costs the states zip, as the feds pay & the contracting company is as busy
as hell on a hot day.

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

There is 4 page "advertising report" lift-out in todays Sydney Daily
Telegraph about home solar systems.
One local company SolarSave (www.solarsave.com.au) is advertising a 1KW
system for $1,990 "fully connected".
Will have to look into it all...

Dave.

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

$2K, won't take long to recoup at that price. Still get onto the pollies, ya
never know one have a working brain cell. I am working on a average output
of 8KWH a day. So at $3 a day will reduce my power bill and pay for itself
in less than 2 years. The pollies think it is cheaper to put these on a roof
or seven than to build a power station, well it is quicker. What are the
emisssions like at the factories that make these? Still gotta be less than
10 years of coalie.

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

There is 4 page "advertising report" lift-out in todays Sydney Daily
Telegraph about home solar systems.
One local company SolarSave (www.solarsave.com.au) is advertising a 1KW
system for $1,990 "fully connected".
Will have to look into it all...

Dave.

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

Would be interesting to hear what you find.. Last time I looked, it was
all massively out of our price range..

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs - try this then LED bulb
http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2009/03/10/green-geeks-dream-philips-master-led-light-bulb /

..

Isn’t this the coolest looking light bulb you’ve ever seen? Philips’ new
Master LED light bulb gives as much light as a conventional 40-watt
bulb, but with a 45,000-hour lifespan, four times as much as a CFL and a
total power consumption of seven watts. However, with a price tag of $50
to $70 per unit, replacing all light sources in your home with LED light
bulbs could become quite the project. The Master LED Light Bulbs are
already on sale in Europe, but we won’t see them here in North America
until next July.

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

Damn, you got lucky.
Last I looked it was like $14K to install a 1KW system in Sydney, so approx
$7K out of your own pocket.
If it dropped to say a few $K difference it'll be a no-brainer for me.

Dave.

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

 "Phil Allison"

**  The watts figure is the one.

 Domestic electricity meters measure energy consumption =   watts over time.

.......  Phil

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

Sorry about m last ignorant post about VA = W!  Of course Phil is right.
CFLs are not pure resistive loads!

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

Surely with a purely resistive load VA is exactly the same as Watts?

Re: Red Alert on Green Bulbs

"MoiInAust"

 **  Shame most fluoros and CFLs are nothing like resistors.

.....   Phil

Site Timeline