Re: Parallelling audio outputs

Hi, This must be a common question, but I can't find anything relating to

> it in back postings on my machine. What's the effect of parallelling two > stereo outputs to produce one mono one, without any interposing

resistance?

Can you actually break something by doing it with ordinary hifi-standard > gear? Is there any devastating effect on quality, I guess I'll hear it if > there is. TIA >

Line level (Ca 100mV)

Reply to
bruce varley

It's called bridging - there's probably heaps of info around on it. Some dual channel sound-reinforcement (eg Rock PA) amps have it built-in.

Short Story: At the inputs to the amps you have to feed one channel with a 180 degree phase shifted (inverted) version of the desired signal while the straight signal goes to the second channel.

At the outputs, connect the -ve of Ch1 to the +ve of Ch2 then use +ve of Ch1 and -ve of Ch2 as the speaker connection.

Chris.

Reply to
chris

The -ve outputs are at ground potential, so connecting them as you suggest shorts the output of one channel to ground, and connects the speaker to just the other channel.

What you need to do when bridging the outputs is connect the speaker between the two +ve outputs, and leave the -ve outputs unconnected.

Anyway, I believe the original poster was talking about line level outputs, not speaker outputs.

Peter

Reply to
Pete

I think you've grabbed the ball and gone charging off for the wrong goal line there - the poster was asking about connecting line-level outputs together to get a mono signal, an whether this would fry anything in the output stage of the devices involved.

Reply to
Poxy

Reply to
Simone Merrett

"Simone Merrett"

** What is an anonymous promise made on usenet worth ?
** Nonsense.

Many audio line outs are direct coupled to the output of an op-amp or similar cct.

** But also no sound or terrible sound.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison