Re: OT: Only in America - Page 2

Re: OT: Only in America

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 08:58:18 -0600, John Fields

Cinders aren't white.

Re: OT: Only in America

Slowman's "unique talents" ;-)  Slowman is always good for a laugh.

It just came across the wire that Slowman's "unique talents" are going
to be recognized by Japan... he's been designated as Imperial Honey
Dipper Taster ;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 17:36:46 -0700, Jim Thompson

... and rides in the back of official honey-wagon, where he belongs

Re: OT: Only in America

For people who happen to live in areas without a proper sewage system,
a "honey-wagon" is truck that goes around and collects human excreta.

The US doesn't like spending money on services that improve the health
of the community as a whole, so many communities persist with this
rather primitive form of sewage collection, which has long been
superseded in other advanced industrialised countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesspool_emptier

Advanced industrial communites do still have honey waggons, but they
service temporary and mobile toilets, and there are not enough of them
to make the word part of the active vocabulary of the bulk of the
population.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: OT: Only in America

Sloman, septic tanks are commonly used for homes that are
some distance outside of metro or city services.

Are you pretending that every home between Nijmegen
and Amsterdam is plumbed into a city sewer system?

Even in Australia there must be rural homes
outside of the range of city sewer systems.

What kind of high tech civilized poop chute
do they use in rural parts of Netherlands or
Australia?

Don't they use septic tanks?

Re: OT: Only in America

Sure they use septic tanks. The house we live in now depended on
septic tanks when we bought it - the previous owner had been too cheap
to hook the house up to the sewer on the street outside - but the
tanks weren't emptied by a honey-wagon, but by a local pig farmer who
added the contents to the waste produced by his pigs.

The point is that the proportion of house that rely on septic tanks
and honey wagons is so low in both Australia and the Netherlands that
word "honey wagon" fall outside the
regular vocabulary.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: OT: Only in America

Don't forget drain fields. I have a dream of a house out in the booines
with a drain field with crops planted over it.

Cheers!
Rich

Re: OT: Only in America

  Come on, Keith.  Sloman is always making an 'ash' of himself.