Re: OT: Only in America

   So much for Bill's lame claims on aus.electronics that he's educating
people on the sci.electronics groups.

Re: OT: Only in America

Some people aren't easy to educate, and both you and John Fields would
seem to fall into that catagory.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: OT: Only in America

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 04:56:33 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

---
If, by "education", you mean hitching my wagon to your star, then I'd
much prefer something other than a white dwarf.

JF

Re: OT: Only in America

Education is getting people to think for themselves in a useful way.
It isn't about hitching anybody's wagon to someone else's wagon train.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: OT: Only in America

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:35:10 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

---
Only trouble with that definition is that for people to be able to think
in a useful way requires them to follow your lead and believe the way
Re: OT: Only in America

Not necessarily. There are a variety of waysA0%of thinking for yourself
in a useful way. You don't seem to have mastered any of them.

I've never said that one should never use a 555 - I've merely pointed
out that in almost all situations there are now better alternatives.

You were claiming that my view of "education" would involve your
hitching your wagon (which I seriously doubt you have) to my "star"
whatever that might be. I adjusted the analogy by substituting an
equally figurative wagon train for your "star", but since I was
engaged in rejecting the idea that education involves leaders and
followers, I wouldn't be offering to let you hook your wagon to my
wagon train even in the remote event that I came to possess a wagon
train in Texas.

--
Bill sloman, Nijmegen

Re: OT: Only in America

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 09:34:43 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

of

---
Perhaps, from your point of view, but then you can't even decipher a
simple metaphor so I'd say you were pretty myopic.
---

Re: OT: Only in America

Only in aus.electronics

Re: OT: Only in America

Deciphering a simple metaphor does depend on the simple metaphor
having some remote relationship with reality. Yours didn't make the
cut.

What I actually said was that the one time that it looked like a
serious contender, it didn't meet the - unusually stringent - quality
requirements, but then neither did the rather better LM322. I checked
it out from time to over the next few years for various other jobs,
but it never turned out to be useful in the sort of work that I was
doing.

The "star" may be your dream, and Disney seems to have made this a
popular image for kiddy programs. Knowing that real stars are enormous
masses of very hot gas a very long way away rather kills that image
for educated adults.

Nor anything I'd suggest. You could do with more education than you
have got - a broader appreciation of what semiconductor components
other than the 555 have to offer would be a good start. You don't seem
to be equipped to come to grips with more difficult subjects - Laplace
transforms and elementary statistics come to mind - of the kind I've
run into in my career, so that aspect of my experience isn't an area
that I'd even try to inform you about.

Because is seemed bizarrely pretentious.

That was your image of education. Not mine. You keep on struggling to
set up this pathetic strawman image of me as some kind of wannabe
leader trying to educate you into some kind of obedient follower.

In this you are being a little over-ambitious.

Any sensible leader stuck with a follower like you would repudiate him
as fast as possible out of pure self-preservation.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: OT: Only in America

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 15:33:49 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

for
because of
educating

---
Your inability to grok the relationship is no more my fault than is your
incessant prattle about that you'd like to be working but that no one
Re: OT: Only in America

I can't find any potential customers.

My situation may not be ideal, but it's much too comforatable for me
to need sympathy.

Hans Camenzind, in his book "Designing Analog Chips" points out a
couple of ways in which the 555 could have been improved. The real
problem with the part is that it combines a monostable/bistable that
is decidedly sensitive to voltage noise with a power switch, which
injects tolerably large and rapidly changing currents into the Vee
connection that it shares with the monostable/bistable circuitry.
There are application where this isn't a real problem, but many fewer
(as a proportion of all applications) than there were in 1971. You
don't have to hate the circuit to be aware of this, though one does
need to know a little bit more about circuit design than you seem to
do.

Not Barrie Gilbert and Bob Widlar, and Hans Camenzind's book is
admirably clear and easy to follow.

He's no Barrie Gilbert or Bob Widlar. A journeyman rather than a
master of his craft. This isn't scorn, merely a practical assessment.
I'd recommend him to anybody who couldn't afford anything better.
Those of his circuits that I worked with were not easy to use but they
did work.

If I envied anybody in that area, I'd envy Barry Gilbert and Bob
Widlar. I've met Barrie Gilbert and quite liked him - his interest in
Cambridge Instruments was limited to workig out whether we were
potential customers for the RF processing chips he was developing at
the time, which we weren't, but he was civil enough to conceal his
dissappointment.

I don't seem to do jealousy.

Multiple meanings and wisdom in Disney's presentations? Who do you
think you are kidding?

"Hatred"? I dislike pretentious nonsense and satirise it when I can.
It's a hobby, like doing cross word puzzles. Hatred requires emotional
involvement.

<snipped stuff with which I can't be bothered to get emotionally
involved>

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: OT: Only in America

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 06:06:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

---
"I can't find any potential customers." Is a dandy excuse.
---

---
It's not sympathy, it's sarcasm, and if its "comforatable" enough for
you to not need to look for work then, in reality, you probably don't
Re: OT: Only in America

And a compelling reason not to invest more time and money in what
turned out to be an unrealitic idea. Some excuses do happen to be
valid.

Your attempts at sarcasm are noted, but they are on a par with your
attempts at logic.

The fact that I don't need to work doesn't mean that I don't want to
work, but it does mean that I can reject boring work, like stacking
shelves at the local supermarket. The local employment situation has
perked up enough that I fianlly found a local job I could apply for
earlier this week, not that I think that I've got much chance of
getting it.

How very clever of you. What do you do when that isn't enough? Bearing
in mind that every wet-behind-the-ears junior engineer will have tried
this before coming to you for help.

Idiot.

I don't even hate Jim Thompson, though I do find him fun to pillory.

Because a good workman finds or makes good tools.

Because it doesn't exist.

If it isn't there, you can't see it.

You don't see much, do you.

Stuff that bores me and would bore any lurker.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: OT: Only in America

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 10:15:54 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

---
Which you don't get, either.
---

Re: OT: Only in America

<snip>

I understand what you think you are demonstrating but since your logic
isn't actually valid, there's no real content to get.

Experience.

Right. If you aren't switching any load current - and the Maxim output
switch is remarkably pathetic for something that is touted as a
substitute for a 555, the monostable/bistable part of the circuit is
less likely to be messed up by switching spikes. This isn't
eliminating the problem, merely just avoiding the more flagrant
examples of it.

No, I found other peoples' easier-to-use versions of his chips. It
helped that they also saved board space.

<snip>

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: OT: Only in America

sOn Sun, 8 Nov 2009 16:07:31 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

---
Total nonsense.

Even with no load on the output, the supply current spike exhibited by
Re: OT: Only in America

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 06:06:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

I met Widlar's (last) girlfriend at the bar at the Washington Square
Bar and Grille. They were living in Puerto Villarta and she was back
in SF visiting relatives. We started talking, I mentioned that I was
an EE, and we got around to discovering who she lived with. She was
surprised that I'd heard of him and had no idea that he was famous. He
apparently did IC layouts on the kitchen table and wouldn't let her
ever see them. He sounded paranoid, and, as she noted with concern,
was drinking himself to death.

John

Re: OT: Only in America

BS > My "unique" talents were recognised for what they were worth. I'd
BS > prefer to be working at the moment, but there are enough good
BS > electronic engineers around that society isn't going to founder
for
BS > want of my contribution.

JF > Actually, I think society is probably less likely to
JF > founder because of the lack of your "contribution". ;)

MAT > So much for Bill's lame claims on aus.electronics that
MAT > he's educating people on the sci.electronics groups.

BS > Some people aren't easy to educate, and both you and
BS > John Fields would seem to fall into that catagory.

JF > If, by "education", you mean hitching my wagon to your star,
JF > then I'd much prefer something other than a white dwarf.

BS > Education is getting people to think for themselves in a useful
way.

Useful to WHO?  Some idealistic political crusade?  You?

Your idea of "educating people" ranks right up there with
Pol Pot and the sarcasm of "Arbeit macht frei" !

BS > It isn't about hitching anybody's wagon to someone else's wagon
train.

So much so you preach your kookery to people in OTHER COUNTRIES!

Re: OT: Only in America

Your unusual quoting style threw my troll/feeder killer for a
momentary loop, then I realized an easy solution... Bye ;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

Useful to themselves.

<snipped remaining lunacy>

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen