Re: NBN continues to impress

>> Gord>> >>>B J Foster wrote: >>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>>> "Peter Webb" wrote: >>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> Specifically? >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> What does the STB do that a computer can't, other than verifying the >>>>>>>> card >>>>>>>> is >>>>>>>> inserted? >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> The only possible application is for >>>>>>>>>> people who don't own a computer and want to watch TV. And that has >>>>>>>>>> nothing >>>>>>>>>> to do with whether it is multicasted. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> To quote a wise poster to this newsgroup "At the consumer end, there >>>>>>> is no practical difference". Who cares if a consumer wants to watch >>>>>>> live sport on their TV? They should learn to be patient and how to >>>>>>> navigate the Internet on a computer so they can eventually download >>>>>>> it >>>>>>> from YouTube. If they don't have a computer they should buy one. >>>>>> >>>>>> Or, they should pay for the internet connection themselves. I can't >>>>>> see why >>>>>> the taxpayer should spend $50b to subsidise the broadcasting of live >>>>>> sports. >>>>> >>>>> You have it backwards. The use of NBN Co's network to broadcast TV is >>>>> likely to subsidise other users. >>>> >>>>Rubbish. You don't have to be an Engineer to work out that the use of >>>>point-to-point networks for 1:many content is stupid. 'Stupid' >>>>translates to 'expensive' in the real world. >> >> Eh? How can you convey data from one point to another without a >> "point-to-point network". > >You use a broadcast network. One signal is received by multiple recipients. > >
> >"A broadcast network avoids the complex routing procedures of a switched >network by ensuring that each node's transmissions are received by all other >nodes in the network. Therefore, a broadcast network has only a single >communications channel. A wired local area network (LAN), for example, may >be set up as a broadcast network, with one user connected to each node and >the nodes typically..." >

Are you saying that, when the NBN is being used as a broadcast network by a multicast TV source, NBN Co will have to switch the signal to each subscriber and block it to those that don't subscribe? That is certainly not how the HFC network works. It would explain why you believe that "cable" TV over the NBN will not require a set top box.

> How does the NBN network differ in this >> regard from free-to-air or cable TV? They all require a single media >> source and multiple destinations. > >A broadcast network only requires a single circuit to reach multiple >recipients.

_Every_ network requires a circuit from the source to each desired destination. I suppose that a ring topology might be regarded as a "single circuit" but that is not the network model being implemented by NBN Co.

>Or did you think they broadcast Free to Air TV just for you?

On the contrary. There is a circuit from the transmitter to my TV aerial and a circuit to every other aerial in range. If you happen to be confined to a Faraday cage there will be no circuit and you will not receive FTA TV.

Reply to
Gordon Levi

No, the NBN has absolutely nothing to do with it. Managed by the ISP that gives you access to the multicast channels.You don't have access to the NBN, but just a VPn back to your ISP, like now.

Reply to
terryc

*I* didn't say anything. That is from the Encyclopedia Brittania. If you still don't know the difference between point-to-point and broadcast networks, I suggest you Google for yourself at this point.

FM radio is "broadcast". Walkie Talkie's are "point-to-point".

Normal TV is "broadcast". Fibre is "point-to-point".

One, single circuit for every user. Unlike point-to-point media like fibre.

Reply to
Peter Webb

Walkie-talkies are not point to point they are broadcast as anyone on that frequency in range can pick up that signal

It makes no difference that fiber or cable can be used for TV

Reply to
dechucka

NBN is indeed a TV broadcaster, transmitting on Channel 3 and digital channel 8.

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Can you explain that since it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere?

Apart from the fact that it wasn't what was being discussed.

Reply to
terryc

I suggest you refer to a TV guide for Newcastle NSW.

Reply to
Barry OGrady

So, if you are wired into the NBN in the "NMewcastle" area, what do you need to plug into the "NTU" to recieve the signals?

Reply to
terryc

Umm, not confused between NBN's are we?

terryc

As proven on so many previous occasions baza cant find his arse so failure to differentiate as you pointed out is no surprise

--
Reply to
atec77

A regular TV connected to a suitable antenna.

Reply to
Barry OGrady

For heaven's sake. What a useless thread. I might as well say that NBN is about smoking a pipe, since my uncle Norman Brian N... does it all the time!

Reply to
Dimmer

don't like the thread, f*ck off

Reply to
dechucka

What a nice person to have to dinner!

Reply to
Dimmer

Nice person to have for dinner more likely. Add tomato sauce and invite all his mates...

Reply to
tomasso

and we can talk about how top posters make little baby jesus cry

Reply to
dechucka

Top posting is permitted in aus.flame, for the obvious reason!

his

Reply to
tomasso

Flame on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

his

Reply to
Barry OGrady

top posting is accepted these days bazil now take yourself and those limp wrists of yours and find a tall something to jump off

his

--
Reply to
atec77