Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

The problem is that the display is not an LED display. It simply an LCD display which has LED backlighting. Otherwise it is no different to any other LCD TV.

Ross Herbert

Currently LED TVs use the OLED variety of LED:

Here's one :

also

geoff

Reply to
geoff

display

TV.

You are confusing real OLED displays with LED illuminated LCD displays, just as the advertisers intend unfortunately.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Only I'm not so sure it is an LED back light.

The contrast figures have jumped suddenly for these new LCDs, so I suspect they might be dividing the back light into regions, and modulating it, to enhance the darker picture areas, making the contrast figures better. Controlling the back lights would give dismally poor resolution, but it would enhance the contrast, particularly with night time scenes.

If they are doing this, it verges on trickery, as the added contrast really isn't normal res TV, but it might be enough to fudge better looking contrast figures.

I've yet to see an LCD TV that doesn't change faces into play dough. The RF interference kicked out by plasmas annoy nearby radio amateurs badly, and their power usage is high, but the pictures are still CRT like in characteristics and easy to watch. I'll admit that LCDs have improved in the last few years, but they still annoy me to watch. The dough face problem, plus poor turf rendering seems to be insurmountable.

LCDs seem a fair compromise for computer monitor usage, but not TV viewing. Looking at movies on my LCD screens is a poor compromise at best. Occasionally useful, but pretty annoying to watch. The lack of available contrast range is dismal. You have to keep adjusting the brightness, so you can check the details in shadows, then turning it back down so there is some shadow in the picture - just really annoying. There's no way you could use an LCD display for professional photo editing. You just can't get set gamma properly, the contrast range is so poor.

Most average viewers seem unaware of how rotten their home TV pictures are, but that's nothing new. TV servicing many years ago (I even go back to just before colour), I used to be amazed at how many average viewers set up their TVs, chocolate box colours, orange faces, wishy washy contrast, horrible geometric distortions, you name it, they just watched it. It's no surprise then that LCD TVs are saleable, just not to me...

Cheers, Colin

Reply to
Colin

It is a LED backlight system.

Contrast is generally improving, but the figures are somewhat fluffy at the best of times.

geoff

Reply to
geoff