Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing - Page 2

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

NO NO NO NO NO, saying when you win lotto/etc is just like invoking the
nazi in a moral argument, you loose/lose/whatever.

Sides, i'm gumma winit. {:-).

--

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

--

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

:
SNIP
:
:There is a newer technology arriving called LED (light emitting diode)
:screens which are
:
:*thinner
:*higher contrast
:* less power consumption
:
:than Plasma and LCD screens.
:
:I have heard some do trade in, but cant remember who.
:
:

The problem is that the display is not an LED display. It simply an LCD display
which has LED backlighting. Otherwise it is no different to any other LCD TV.
http://www.displayblog.com/2009/06/23/led-tv /

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

display
TV.

You are confusing real OLED displays with LED illuminated LCD displays, just
as the advertisers intend unfortunately.

MrT.

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

Only I'm not so sure it is <just> an LED back light.

The contrast figures have jumped suddenly for these new LCDs, so I
suspect they might be dividing the back light into regions, and
modulating it, to enhance the darker picture areas, making the contrast
figures better.  Controlling the back lights would give dismally poor
resolution, but it would enhance the contrast, particularly with night
time scenes.

If they are doing this, it verges on trickery, as the added contrast
really isn't normal res TV, but it might be enough to fudge better
looking contrast figures.

I've yet to see an LCD TV that doesn't change faces into play dough.  The
RF interference kicked out by plasmas annoy nearby radio amateurs badly,
and their power usage is high, but the pictures are still CRT like in
characteristics and easy to watch.  I'll admit that LCDs have improved in
the last few years, but they still annoy me to watch.  The dough face
problem, plus poor turf rendering seems to be insurmountable.

LCDs seem a fair compromise for computer monitor usage, but not TV
viewing.  Looking at movies on my LCD screens is a poor compromise at
best.  Occasionally useful, but pretty annoying to watch.  The lack of
available contrast range is dismal.  You have to keep adjusting the
brightness, so you can check the details in shadows, then turning it back
down so there is some shadow in the picture - just really annoying.
There's no way you could use an LCD display for professional photo
editing.  You just can't get set gamma properly, the contrast range is so
poor.

Most average viewers seem unaware of how rotten their home TV pictures
are, but that's nothing new.  TV servicing many years ago (I even go back
to just before colour), I used to be amazed at how many average viewers
set up their TVs, chocolate box colours, orange faces, wishy washy
contrast, horrible geometric distortions, you name it, they just watched
it.  It's no surprise then that LCD TVs are saleable, just not to me...

Cheers, Colin

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

It is <just> a LED backlight system.

Contrast is generally improving, but the figures are somewhat fluffy at the
best of times.

geoff

Site Timeline