Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

Some things to consider.

While were are all waiting for a  coordinated government policy of recycling
the millions of cathode ray tubes so they don't go into land fills, don't
leave old screens out for the council to crush up and shove in a land fill.

Give them to charities like st. vinnies, sell them on gumtree.com.au (like
e-bay but FREE) give them away on freecycle.com.au

High definition is 1920x1080 anything less is not true HD.

There is a newer technology arriving called LED (light emitting diode)
screens which are

*thinner
*higher contrast
* less power consumption

than Plasma and LCD screens.

I have heard some do trade in, but cant remember who.

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

Thank you John Smith

So what do you suggest we purchase

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

Is there a "best brand" LED ? Also for LCD / Plasma?

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

The best is a personal choice, what looks good to your eyes and what you can
afford.
 I like the Bravia range, but they are pricey.

See:

http://www.hdledtv.net /

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRAVIA

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

I dislike Sony as a company, yet we bought a Bravia
because it really is the best picture. That magic
signal processing comes at a price though; they take
more than a second to change channels, while the chip
does its magic (the tuner has a frame within a tenth
or two, but the chipset doesn't display it for more
than a second). It's annoying.

Clifford Heath.

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

I think the LED and LCD are the way to go.
As for Best brand, that is a bit of a can of worms these days.

You could go for "longest warranty" too, but remember in the current
scary world economic climate, there is NO guarantee and a serious risk
that
the manufacturer and/or warranty company (that offer extended
warranties)
may not still be in business (bankrupt) before the end of the warranty
to be
able to honour it.

The only thing I can say on this subject based on personal experience
that at our work, we have had about 20 Samsung LCD computer monitors
19", (940N) since about 2005, used every workday for long hours and
had no failures or problems with them.

I would therefore consider Samsung to have reliable LCD technology -
based on this alone, and would feel comfortable about buying a Samsung
LCD television, If I was in the market for a new LCD TV

For all I know other brands/models might be just as good ?

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

No, it isn't LED TV. It is LED-backlit LCD. Currently subject of
false-advertising actions.

Model-for-model, spec-for-spec, Samsung do better sometimes.

dunno

geoff

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

Yes, but OLED TV's *are* available if you don't mind the small size and high
price at the moment.

Or more importantly, Dollar for dollar.

Or Panasonic or Pioneer.

MrT.

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

My issue is that Samsung a deliberately fudging the distinction between LCD
and LED TVs.

OLED or whatever other variety of LED is eventually produced is irrelevant
(OLED is the current SOTA) - the main thing is that the LED is the active
emitting device. Or should be.

geoff

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

I saw a couple of these "LED TV's" at harvey norman yesterday, they
had a sticker on the set saying "LED TV" or "LED screen" etc  and then
in small letters underneath something like " *led backlit screen"  /
" *led backlighting" etc , so read the fine print carefully.

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

My LCD TV has a LED in it too. That does not make it an LED TV. An LED TV is
a TV where the active emitting devices are LEDs. They are hoping that people
won't read deeper, and think they are buying the latest generation of TV
technology, rather than a variation of the LCD type.

geoff

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

Currently LED TVs use the OLED variety of LED:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_light-emitting_diode

Here's one :   http://tinyurl.com/3vz3kl

also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_TV

geoff

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

The Wii is not HD, but the Xbox 360 is.
You can use the Wii and Xbox 360 on your old CRT TV using composite or
S-Video input. A new HD TV will essentially give you little improvement in
quality with the Wii, but will make a big difference with the Xbox 360.
You do not need a built-in tuner to use the video game consoles.

Any TV you buy these days will be at least "HD capable" (720 lines) and will
have a HD tuner built in. A "True HD" TV (1080 lines) will typically be a
bit more expensive. Both are much more superior to your old CRT TV.

They almost certainly won't take a trade-in's, have not seen that offered
for years. Your CRT TV's are worthless in monetary terms.

Dave.

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

The first consideration is probably resolution. Check the label
to make sure it's 1920 x 1080. Anything less, as John Smith says,
is not true high-def. A lot of shops deliberately fudge this,
hoping to get rid of their lower-def models at a supposed 'bargain'
price.

The next consideration is size. A typical lounge room is too
small for anything bigger than 40"/105 cm. Start by looking
at the 32"/80cm models, and see whether the size would be
right for your rooms. This will annoy the sales creatures,
who want you to buy bigger, and some shops won't actually
have many models in that size to choose from. In that case,
keep moving.

If you're convinced that 32" isn't quite big enough, have a look at
37"/90cm. Roughly speaking, you want the edges of the screen to be
just out of eye-line when you're looking at the centre.

Next trick: have a look at the back of the unit, and see what kinds
of connectors are back there. Modern homes will often have multiple
VCRs, DVD players, DVR and even computers. It makes sense to ensure
there are enough of the right kind of plugs on the unit. The 'king
pin' connector these days is HDMI, but it can be really handy to
have RCA sockets as well.

Most high-end units now operate at around 100Hz, which is supposed
to prevent motion blur. If you want to watch a lot of sport, you
might think about a 200Hz model.

As to brands, I've always liked Sony, but they cost more. 32"
Panasonics are around $1200 in the Good Guys, whereas a 32" Sony
Bravia is more like $1600-1700. The Sonys seem to have a lot more
rear connectors than the others. The Bravia I looked at had 3
HDMIs and nine RCAs, which thought was reasonably adequate.

Hope thats useful.

PS: No one wants old analogue televisions, or film cameras.

Atom Egoyan
Melbourne

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

Actually there definition of TVs has been recently fudged by Samsung who are
advertising "LED TVs", which are not in fact TVs using LEDs as active pixel
emitting devices, but are smply LCD TVs with a backlight based on LEDx
rather than flouro lamps.

A despicable and totally unhelpful disservice to the consumer world  IMO.

geoff

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

The guy at the local JB Hi-Fi was pushing this one.  What other brands are
proper LED, do you know? Thanks.

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

None - it's still experimental.

Or did I read somebody produced some prototype 17" screens recently.

geoff

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

The proper ones are actually OLED, and AFAIK, the only one on the market
is a Sony 13" model which is hugely expensive. The pictures is beautiful
though. They may be practical in a few years time but not at present.

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

I heard the picture quality is really good on the LED backlit TVs

Herc
ps I'd go plasma 60 inch

Re: LCD tvs, flat screens, plasma, so confusing

I stick with my LCD  until LED TVs come out in a few years ( and I win
Lotto).

geoff

Site Timeline