Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)

And what was the increase in illegally smuggled guns?

================================
Customs must tackle 'failings' on firearms
BY: AMOS AIKMAN From: The Australian May 14, 2012 12:00AM

THE Customs and Border Protection Service must urgently address the
fundamental weaknesses that allowed illegal weapons to enter Australia
undetected before other agencies will share intelligence and co-
operate on a national firearms policing strategy.

This comment by NSW Police Minister Mike Gallacher followed warnings
by NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione that illegally imported
firearms are a national security threat.

Mr Gallacher is set to join federal Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare
on a nationwide tour to drum up support for a national ballistics
register ahead of a police ministers' conference next month.

Opposition immigration spokesman Scott Morrison, in whose south Sydney
electorate of Cook a major illegal weapons importation racket was
recently detected, said the Customs and Border Protection Service was
failing, and accused the federal government of being in denial.

Mr Scipione told The Australian at the weekend three recent operations
involving large quantities of illegally imported firearms could
represent the tip of the iceberg, and said a new national approach was
urgently needed.

Mr Gallacher welcomed the call for a new approach, but said Customs
must first recognise it had a problem and put forward appropriate
solutions.

"Otherwise I think you're going to see a reluctance from policing
agencies to reveal their intelligence to another agency if they don't
believe serious steps are being taken to address the fundamental
weakness in the first place," Mr Gallacher said.

Mr Morrison said the Customs service and the federal government did
not appear to be taking the problem seriously. "Customs didn't know
they were on fire on this issue until the NSW police turned up with a
hose," he said.

"What's happening in Queensland? What's happening in Western
Australia? What's happening in Victoria? We don't know."

Mr Morrison criticised Mr Clare for failing to launch an inquiry after
a NSW police operation revealed 220 new Glock pistols were illegally
imported via a post office in his electorate.

Police say weapons from that shipment are implicated in a spate of
recent shootings in southwest Sydney. Only two of the guns have been
recovered so far.

Mr Clare, whose electorate of Blaxland is in western Sydney, the scene
of much of the violence, said data from the Australian Crime
Commission showed the majority of illegal guns in circulation were
from domestic sources, such as theft, rather than from overseas.

Mr Scipione said there was a crucial knowledge gap on the scale of the
illegal imports problem.

"I don't think there's a good enough estimate of how many guns are
actually in Australia, how many guns are coming into Australia in the
hands of criminals," the Commissioner said.

Responding to figures that showed at least four times as many handguns
were detected being illegally imported as were reported stolen last
year, Mr Scipione said: "If we've got a problem (with domestic gun
theft) then we've got an enormous problem with guns that are
circumnavigating our border controls."

A spokesman for the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service
declined an invitation to respond to the criticisms raised in this
article

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)
3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%

And how is the government's failure to properly resource the customs
service the fault of licensed firearms owners?

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)

I cannot understand why you've posted this here then, you've
previously admitted you only post to aus.politics.guns to "annoy the
crap" out of me, and my safekeeping requirements exceed the
legislation?

Perhaps you're advocating (as does Gun Control Australia) central
repositories for privately owned firearms?

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)

Thanks for your opinion, how's your "long standing and highly
respected" poster doing lately?

I prefer Trevor's fictional friends, including the one who can STOP
his heart.

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)

Let the general public have them too, give training and give them the
ironclad right to self defense,
defense of their property and other people, and the problem will
disappear as if by magic

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)

Seconded !!

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-03-05/drivers-license-gun-pe =
rmits/53391932/1

Andrew Arulanandam, policy director for the National Rifle
Association's Institute for Legislative Action, which supports these
legislative efforts, argues that crime rates are low in four states 97%
Alaska, Arizona, Vermont and Wyoming 97% that already allow residents to
carry without a permit. "Our viewpoint is, a good person will always
be a good person," he said. "They don't need a license to be a good
person."

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)

Why are you cross posting this to aus.electronics?

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)
Because there's people posting on aus.electronics who don't believe
concepts such as freedom of speech should apply to people like me.

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)

You're really a advocate of the Trevor Tosspot school of discussion
and debate, all we need now is you to start chanting "Non-sequitur" to
anything you don't agree with and you're there. There really is little
to learn from you "long standing and highly respected" poster.

I'm glad you're still enjoying "annoying the crap" out of me, I find
persistent idiots very entertaining.

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)

No, your problem is very definitely with the message, you'll remember
that you and a number of others had no issue with your "long standing
and highly respected" poster, posting his anti-gun and anti-gun owner
tirades on aus.electronics, but got very upset when any alternative
viewpoint appeared.

Good to hear.

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)
"Imagined slight", your memory of those circumstances appears to
differ from others. John wasn't the only one pissed off about it
remember.

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)

Diagnosing again I see.

Why should I "move on"?

Aus.electronics had no issue with Trevor Tosspot posting his anti-gun
and anti-gunowner diatribes, when alternative viewpoint appeared they
got very upset.

What they we're saying was your "long standing and highly respected"
poster was fine to post his diatribes, but I'm not allowed to give my
side of the debate.

What they were saying was my rights were less than his, he had rights
I did not. Concepts such as "freedom  of speech" simply did not apply
to me because I owned guns.

Considering the vilification gun owners in this country have been
subject to since 1996, I'm not prepared to accept that.

You don't like my attitude? Bad luck.

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)
Sorry, continued.

Tell me Keith, at what stage do you want me to accept or ignore
discrimination (because that's what it is)?

There is a very fine line between saying "you're not allowed to post
here because you're a gun owner" and saying "you're not allowed to
post here because you're black, or gay, or muslim, or jewish or vote
Liberal".

Where is the line to be drawn when facing discrimination of matters
such as freedom of speech?

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)

"impotent phallic symbol fondler" well that's a new one.

Tell me, why did you not have a problem when Trevor Tosspot was
posting his anti-gun bile on aus.electronics?

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)

Really, where? I must have missed it, give me a cite or post it again.

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)

Except, that's not what happened, was it?

Re: Investigation reveals 20% increase in stolen guns (in NSW)
I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Site Timeline